Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 'women aren't funny' myth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

You're free to think women aren't funny, you should just be able to back it up without relying on flawed logic, that you can bend and flex to suit your own narrative.

You think ticket sales are flawed logic...that is your right...but who are you to decide what flawed logic is? Ticket Sales and earnings are pretty much the parameters used by every professional creative and sporting industry.

I have already told you I know of plenty of witty women...but feel free to ignore that too.

It's flawed logic to say ticket sales aren't important when assessing individual comedians (which you've admitted with your Brendan grace comment) but are the most important criteria when deciding if one gender is funnier than the other.

You've yet to explain why it's important in one situation but unimportant in another. Until.you do that it's clearly flawed logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The late Christopher Hitchens said women aren’t funny. The reason being, from an evolutionary perspective, they don’t need to be; they have their looks to attract. Men don’t so require humour to attract a mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I have already told you I know of plenty of witty women...but feel free to ignore that too.

What do you want me to say about it?
    It's unrelated to the logic issue in your argument

The late Christopher Hitchens said women aren’t funny. The reason being, from an evolutionary perspective, they don’t need to be; they have their looks to attract. Men don’t so require humour to attract a mate.

Whenever I want to learn about evolution and get an expert opinion I always listen to a philosophy and politics graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Right, so just because he was more successful, does not mean he was objectively funnier than everyone else gigging at the time. He may have sold more tickets but that doesn't make him funnier.

Great same page.

Now let's take it a step further, by your ticket sales = funny model then Irish comedians aren't funny, because if you look at ticket sales on a macro level less people globally will buy tickets to see an Irish comedian, they're not as popular and therefore must be assumed to be less funny?

At last we agree!!!!

Irish comedians do not sell anywhere near the amount of tickets lets say Scottish comedians sell...despite our population being virtually the same...for a few complex reasons we do not produce anywhere near the same amount of professional comedians than Scotland does....as far as professional comedians go...Irish comedians are waaaay behind scottish comedians, therefore, we are not as funny, as far as comedy audiences are concerned, even though I know a bucklead of proper funny men, you can't really argue with facts! Unless you dig your head in the sand that is!

Bingo...thanks for that!

• Advertisement

What do you want me to say about it?
    It's unrelated to the logic issue in your argument

You claimed I don't find women funny...I responded to that!!! WTF???

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Whenever I want to learn about evolution and get an expert opinion I always listen to a philosophy and politics graduate.

It's serving you well...you go girl!!

That would be fruitless.

If you’re looking for a humourus and witty social commentator, I highly recommend Hitchens.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Sn@kebite

I tend to follow this.

Historically fathers told their sons girls like a boy who can make her laugh, women also say they look form men who can make her laugh. So historically there was no real conditioning of girls to try to be comediennes and women weren't often involved in public speaking at all anyway.

there is also the issue of women mimicking masculine humour and this also created a problem. I suppose the similar thing would be a male daycare worker feeling he needs to "act like a female one" to fit in which actually in these cases may discourage the opposite sex from partaking.
    And as Hitchens states we have butch lesbians and jew women so it creates a lack of variety although it does seem to be changing. Add in the idiotic quotas on BBC panels feminists demand and it may create even more awkwardness; you cant quota people to be funny. So feminism (as usual) seems to have unrealistic methods of forcing society to find women funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wilberto wrote: »
    Also, I find Sarah Millican to be quite hilarious and is probably one of my favourite comedians. :)

Usually, she's hilarious for the first 10 minutes then runs out of steam, dunno is just that her material or her persona can't keep interest

• Advertisement

You claimed I don't find women funny...I responded to that!!! WTF???

Ok, do you want a pat on the back for saying you know witty women? Why bring it up?

Irish comedians do not sell anywhere near the amount of tickets lets say Scottish comedians sell...despite our population being virtually the same...for a few complex reasons we do not produce anywhere near the same amount of professional comedians than Scotland does....as far as professional comedians go...Irish comedians are waaaay behind scottish comedians, therefore, we are not as funny, as far as comedy audiences are concerned, even though I know a bucklead of proper funny men, you can't really argue with facts! Unless you dig your head in the sand that is!

Bingo...thanks for that!

At last we agree!!!!

Bingo...thanks for that!

Is this speculation or fact, I'm interested to know how you know the percentage of comedians and comedy tickets sold per head of population in Scotland?

Also just because more tickets are sold doesn't make them funnier, how do you not get it. You said it yourself, Brendan Grace sold a lot of tickets but he wasn't the funniest comedian of his day. You're actively contradicting yourself!

Ok, do you want a pat on the back for saying you know witty women? Why bring it up?

Read back over the thread...you claimed, twice, that I don't find women funny...I don't need a pat on the back...I'm not that precious!

That would be fruitless.

If you’re looking for a humourus and witty social commentator, I highly recommend Hitchens.

He is the philosophy graduate I'm referring to. He might be witty but I doubt he's an expert in evolutionary psychology.

Read back over the thread...you claimed, twice, that I don't find women funny...I don't need a pat on the back...I'm not that precious!

Yeah and then you said you knew witty women in real life, and I said no more about it. Until you came back saying I ignored that you said you knew witty women? I don't know what you expect me to say about it? Good for you you know funny women?

Is this speculation or fact, I'm interested to know how you know the percentage of comedians and comedy tickets sold per head of population in Scotland?

Also just because more tickets are sold doesn't make them funnier, how do you not get it. You said it yourself, Brendan Grace sold a lot of tickets but he wasn't the funniest comedian of his day. You're actively contradicting yourself!

You, and you are not on your own...are conveniently ignoring the professional world of comedy to fit a deluded narrative...good luck with it...facts don't care about feelings or opinions for that matter!

You are deciding to ignore the audience that each year pay to see comedy acts (using their subjective humour)...you are ignoring those comedy audiences because they do not agree with you....you are not in a position to decide what comedy audiences should like, nor am I, I am not deluded enough to even think my opinion matters...facts don't care about my feelings or opinions.

You find women hilarious...you are in the minority.

He is the philosophy graduate I'm referring to. He might be witty but I doubt he's an expert in evolutionary psychology.

That was the joke!

You, and you are not on your own...are conveniently ignoring the professional world of comedy to fit a deluded narrative...good luck with it...facts don't care about feelings or opinions for that matter!

You are deciding to ignore the audience that each year pay to see comedy acts (using their subjective humour)...you are ignoring those comedy audiences because they do not agree with you....

You're doing the exact same thing by not finding Brendan grace funny.

What????

What the f##k are you on about?

What????

What the f##k are you on about?

Do you not remember bringing up Brendan grace as an example.of.high ticket sales but not being the funniest?

Why are you ignoring his ticket sales?

• Advertisement

You are deciding to ignore the audience that each year pay to see comedy acts (using their subjective humour)...you are ignoring those comedy audiences because they do not agree with you....you are not in a position to decide what comedy audiences should like, nor am I, I am not deluded enough to even think my opinion matters...facts don't care about my feelings or opinions.

You find women hilarious...you are in the minority.

You can't even continue to support your own flawed logic and so you're lashing out trying to paint me with some narrative you've dreamed up for me. I agree that facts don't care about feelings or opinions.
    It's not a factual statement to say the highest earning comic is the funniest. It's just not.
    I don't care if people individually don't find women funny, or if they don't find Irish people funny, or if they don't find *insert ethnicity here funny. I have a problem when people say it's unilaterally true that x means you're not funny and then try tell me that apples are equal to oranges to prove it. But in another similar example apples are just apples.

I never said I find women hilarious either, I named some funny women, I could name some funny men too if it would make you feel better.

Do you not remember bringing up Brendan grace as an example.of.high ticket sales but not being the funniest?

FFS!!!!

My opinion on Brenda Grace, or Michael McIntyre doesn't matter....its my opinion...my opinion is subjective...we all agree on that.

When it comes to their success on the other hand, their success cannot be denied...

When comparing the genders, men sell more than women by some considerable distance...that cannot be ignored.

You are ignoring the amount of tickets female comedians sell (this is discussion about which gender sells the most/which gender can legitimately claim to be funnier) and you are berating me about individual comedians in an attempt to pour scorn on my argument....

You can't even continue to support your own flawed logic and so you're lashing out trying to paint me with some narrative you've dreamed up for me. I agree that facts don't care about feelings or opinions.
    It's not a factual statement to say the highest earning comic is the funniest. It's just not.
    I don't care if people individually don't find women funny, or if they don't find Irish people funny, or if they don't find *insert ethnicity here funny. I have a problem when people say it's unilaterally true that x means you're not funny and then try tell me that apples are equal to oranges to prove it. But in another similar example apples are just apples.

I never said I find women hilarious either, I named some funny women, I could name some funny men too if it would make you feel better.

That is just hyperbole from top to bottom...you are getting bogged down in your personal opinion and ignoring the reality.

I'll bet there are Colchester FC fans who think their football club is the best club in the world in their opinion...don't make it so!

FFS!!!!

My opinion on Brenda Grace, or Michael McIntyre doesn't matter....its my opinion...my opinion is subjective...we all agree on that.

When it comes to their success on the other hand, their success cannot be denied...

When comparing the genders, men sell more than women by some considerable distance...that cannot be ignored.

You are ignoring the amount of tickets female comedians sell (this is discussion about which gender sells the most/which gender can legitimately claim to be funnier) and you are berating me about individual comedians in an attempt to pour scorn on my argument....

I agree their success cannot be denied.

I imagine it's true that men outsell women. I'm not ignoring that. That proves that men outsell women. It doesn't prove that men are funnier than women. That's a nonsense leap.

I'm berating (?) You about individual comedians because you've yet to show why an individual selling well doesn't make them funnier but a gender selling well does.

Until you even attempt to address that I'll continue to.pour scorn on your scornful argument.

I'll bet there are Colchester FC fans who think their football club is the best club in the world in their opinion...don't make it so!

But the Man U fans who think their team is the best are right cos they sell the most tickets?

I agree their success cannot be denied.

I imagine it's true that men outsell women. I'm not ignoring that. That proves that men outsell women. It doesn't prove that men are funnier than women. That's a nonsense leap.

I'm berating (?) You about individual comedians because you've yet to show why an individual selling well doesn't make them funnier but a gender selling well does.

Until you even attempt to address that I'll continue to.pour scorn on your scornful argument.

No...there is no need to imagine anything...male comedians outsell female comedians in huge numbers...not narrowly, in huge numbers...which does make them funnier...

You haven't made a coherent argument beyond expressing your personal opinion, that women are just as or nearly funny as men...

I haven't expressed an opinion either way about an individual comedian because this discussion is about two genders...not hundreds of different comedians or my opinions on each individual comedian.

I am using a metric, that is widespread in any sporting or creative industry to ascertain my opinion on professional comedy...you are dismissing that metric because you do not like what it reveals...and you are persistently trying to drag me down a rabbit hole to avoid looking at the facts and basing your argument on a personal opinion...

Germans have no sense of humour...or a dour one at least...I've yet to hear a German throw a hissy fit whenever that is expressed!

But the Man U fans who think their team is the best are right cos they sell the most tickets?

Well I'd imagine a Man Utd supporter would direct you to the trophy cabinet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

And it doesn't deal with the major flaw you keep avoiding. By your line of reasoning the best selling comedian is the funniest, not just the most popular but also the funniest. Do you agree that that's the case?

That’s exactly the argument he was debunking. We can’t say much about the best football team in the premiership but we can about male vs female football.

Well I'd imagine a Man Utd supporter would direct you to the trophy cabinet!

But that's not what you said earlier!
    I've no idea what you are on about there...I'll put it to you another way...Man Utd will probably sell more tickets to their games this year than any other club in the Premiership.... but it doesn't make them better than every other club...just more popular....but when you compare the ticket sales to football matches between the Mens Premier League and the womens premier league they are worlds apart...therefore, mens football is better/more popular than womens football....it is then not a giant leap to suggest men are better footballers.

Also if they are the best they would be good regardless of ticket sales no?

• Advertisement

But that's not what you said earlier!

Also if they are the best they would be good regardless of ticket sales no?

Christ!!!

They are clearly not at their best right now...it is not an infinite position...but they are still hugely popular.

The size of the stadium dictates the amount of tickets the club can sell...

The trophy cabinet is a reflection of their past success, which could or couldn't legitimise the argument....you really don't get the professional world...sport, comedy or anything else i bet!

Advertisement