Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'women aren't funny' myth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I've no idea what you are on about there...I'll put it to you another way...Man Utd will probably sell more tickets to their games this year than any other club in the Premiership.... but it doesn't make them better than every other club...just more popular....but when you compare the ticket sales to football matches between the Mens Premier League and the womens premier league they are worlds apart...therefore, mens football is better/more popular than womens football....it is then not a giant leap to suggest men are better footballers.

You're all over the place and you're splitting your own logic. Man u can sell more tickets but not be the best, but women are worse by default cos they can't sell as many tickets?
    Sloppy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

But that is my point...there is no other way...

The free market does not make assumptions...it reacts to what audiences want...

Laughter is involuntary....you cannot help what you find funny or who you find funny....gender doesn't come into it...it is a combination of talent and drive to overcome the difficult gigs to put yourself in a place where people are willing to pay to see you....it is not for the fainthearted....

grand, but I think you are confusing "commercially sucessful" with "funny".... and assuming that there are the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,351 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The only market for women comedians is....other women. If there wasn’t gender quotas put in place by TV shows and it was based purely on talent you’d go a long time without seeing a female comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Actually.its a huge leap. You start with something quite reasonable, that the best selling comedian is the most popular. That's clearly true.

However you then make a completely unreasonable point by a dodgy analogy with football and conflating most popular with best.

It's just a terrible unsound argument.

And it doesn't deal with the major flaw you keep avoiding. By your line of reasoning the best selling comedian is the funniest, not just the most popular but also the funniest. Do you agree that that's the case?

What unsound flaws? What are you on about? I'm not avoiding anything....you are the one avoiding the value of ticket sales in the world of professional comedy....that is bonkers...you are the one making an unsound argument.

grand, but I think you are confusing "commercially sucessful" with "funny".... and assuming that there are the same thing.

But....they do go hand in hand...and I'm the confused one??

• Advertisement

But they don't! Take Michael McIntyre for example, he has his own TV special, tours a bit, wildly popular, so, Is he the funniest British comedian working right now?

You're all over the place and you're splitting your own logic. Man u can sell more tickets but not be the best, but women are worse by default cos they can't sell as many tickets?
    Sloppy!

Ah, jesus lads...this really isn't hard or confusing...

If you owned a venue like Vicar Street you'd have a much better idea who puts bums on seats!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Actually.its a huge leap. You start with something quite reasonable, that the best selling comedian is the most popular. That's clearly true.

However you then make a completely unreasonable point by a dodgy analogy with football and conflating most popular with best.

It's just a terrible unsound argument.

And it doesn't deal with the major flaw you keep avoiding. By your line of reasoning the best selling comedian is the funniest, not just the most popular but also the funniest. Do you agree that that's the case?

What unsound flaws? What are you on about? I'm not avoiding anything....you are the one avoiding the value of ticket sales in the world of professional comedy....that is bonkers...you are the one making an unsound argument.

Ok I'll ask again:

Is the top selling comedian of the last year the funniest?

Ah, jesus lads...this really isn't hard or confusing...

I agree it's not hard, so it's baffling that you don't get it.
    Humour is subjective
    Cash is objective

If Justin Bieber sells out 3 nights at croker, does that mean he's a better singer than say Hozier who only sells out 3 nights at the Olympia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

ah come on now, using that logic Simon Cowell is responsible for the best music of all time.....

• Advertisement

But they don't! Take Michael McIntyre for example, he has his own TV special, tours a bit, wildly popular, so, Is he the funniest British comedian working right now?

Ok...I'll try again...MM is one man...one of many men that will tour next year...because they sell tickets...women will tour also...they won't sell as much...not even close to the amount of tickets male comedians sell...

What does that say to you?

And why are you so invested in ignoring ticket sales?

lufties wrote: »
    Saw this come up on a guardian article recently. The first thing I thought was this is complete crap. Anyway, I got thinking about it a bit and actually couldn't think of one female comedian I genuinely find funny.
    Perhaps its just me. However I'd love to hear others opinions, because from a deep societal and psychological perspective this interests me.

I think you miss the word "intentionally"

I find many women funny

ah come on now, using that logic Simon Cowell is responsible for the best music of all time.....

The music industry has been destroyed over the last 10-20 years...completely different situation...the music industry is almost unrecognisable from what it used to be.

Ok...I'll try again...MM is one man...one of many men that will tour next year...because they sell tickets...women will tour also...they won't sell as much...not even close to the amount of tickets male comedians sell...

So basically an individuals ticket sales can be ignored in assessing their funniness.

But when it's an entire gender then ticket sales are suddenly an accurate measure of their funniness?

You're completely picking your measurement criteria to suit yourself. Ticket sales are important when you want them to be but unimportant when it doesn't suit you.

That's why your argument is unsound.

Ok I'll ask again:

Is the top selling comedian of the last year the funniest?

Honestly? I'm getting bored with this.

Go back over the last ten years and look at the genders of the comedians who made the top ten earners in professional comedy (by virtue of ticket sales)

It says that they will sell more tickets, that they will earn more money. It's an objective fact. You're the one trying to infer a deeper or additional meaning.

Because ticket sales, whick are an objective measure of money earned, they are not an objective measure of talent.
    Popularity is not a measure of talent!

So basically an individuals ticket sales can be ignored in assessing their funniness.

But when it's an entire gender then ticket sales are suddenly an accurate measure of their funniness?

You're completely picking your measurement criteria to suit yourself. Ticket sales are important when you want them to be but unimportant when it doesn't suit you.

That's why your argument is unsound.

I am not saying ignore an individuals ticket sales....jesus...step back for one minute and look at the world of comedy...then look at the ticket sales...why is it so difficult to accept the reality...female comedians are lagging way behind male comedians...

Ok. how about we compromise...female comedians are selling more tickets than they did 10 years ago...female comedy is exploding in popularity...would that help?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Honestly? I'm getting bored with this.

Go back over the last ten years and look at the genders of the comedians who made the top ten earners in professional comedy (by virtue of ticket sales)

And you'll find that they're the comedic equivalent of One Direction or Justin Bieber, i.e. bland and generally inoffensive without being hugely talented. I wouldn't cross the road to see Michael McIntyre or Peter Kay, but thousands would. Does that mean they're funnier than acts I'd pay to see? Well if you were going on pure ticket sales, then yes, but I think most comedy fans would know the answer to that question.

It says that they will sell more tickets, that they will earn more money. It's an objective fact. You're the one trying to infer a deeper or additional meaning.

Because ticket sales, whick are an objective measure of money earned, they are not an objective measure of talent.

Then what metrics are left??

We are ignoring ticket sales
    We are ignoring popularity
    We are ignoring earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't like amy schumer's stand up but i do love her sketches.
    I also love martina hill's sketches. tina fey is obviously very funny as well but not stand up either.

Amy Schumer steals vast amounts of material both for her stand-up and tv shows, not a fan at all.

Love Tina fey her book is terrific and she is an excellent writer, but don't know if she does stand-up? Same with Amy Poehler and Mindy Kahling.

My favourite female comedians
    Nanette Gadsby
    I also saw Roseanne Barr years ago and she was hilarious.
    Kathy Griffin is fun too.

My all time favourite is Victoria Woods

• Advertisement

We are ignoring ticket sales We are ignoring popularity We are ignoring earnings.

There are no metrics! That's the point! Comedy is subjective. You can't prove x is funnier than y because some people will find x hilarious , some will find y hilarious, some will find both funny and some will find neither funny.

We are ignoring ticket sales
    We are ignoring popularity
    We are ignoring earnings.

You still won't answer this question directly. I'll try again:

Do you think the tip selling comedian is the funniest? Is MM funnier than all the comedians he outsells?

You're ignoring ticket sales too. You're just trying to avoid admitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The constant push to "prove" women are funny gets me. More women in standup, women are just as funny as men, more female comedy panelists.... these are things I constantly have shoved down my throat. If women are just as funny, then they dont need a hand or a quota, let them do their thing and the free market will decide. Whenever I see a female standup act on tv lately, I find myself thinking "is she there to bulk up the numbers or because of her own merit". Id be so pissed if I was a woman in this day and age

It's not just comedy. Every panel of pundits on sky for pl matches seems to have a woman on it now too. Theres definitely an effort being made to push it.

Zaph wrote: »
    And you'll find that they're the comedic equivalent of One Direction or Justin Bieber, i.e. bland and generally inoffensive without being hugely talented. I wouldn't cross the road to see Michael McIntyre or Peter Kay, but thousands would. Does that mean they're funnier than acts I'd pay to see? Well if you were going on pure ticket sales, then yes, but I think most comedy fans would know the answer to that question.

But most comedy fans are buying tickets to the most popular acts???

Now the purists might not agree...Jerry Seinfeld sold more tickets than Larry David, in the world of comedy that makes him more successful...David is worth more probably because of his TV Series...which makes him a better comedy show writer/producer.

The comedy gestapo don't get to tell us which gender is funnier though...the free market does!

There are no metrics! That's the point! Comedy is subjective. You can't prove x is funnier than y because some people will find x hilarious , some will find y hilarious, some will find both funny and some will find neither funny.

So...there is no point at all in having any discussion at all....this thread is pointless then....medals for all!!! I love it...I'm a comedian!!!

So...there is no point at all in having any discussion at all....this thread is pointless then....medals for all!!! I love it...I'm a comedian!!!

You're free to think women aren't funny, you should just be able to back it up without relying on flawed logic, that you can bend and flex to suit your own narrative.

You still won't answer this question directly. I'll try again:

Do you think the tip selling comedian is the funniest? Is MM funnier than all the comedians he outsells?

You're ignoring ticket sales too. You're just trying to avoid admitting it.

I am not ignoring ticket sales....I brought up the ticket sales...I am avoiding the rabbit hole argument you are trying your best to shove down my throat...

I don't think Brendan Grace was the funniest Irish comedian but he was very successful!!

Do male comedians sell more tickets than female comedians....yes...by some distance...my interpretation of that is simple...you can interpret is any way you like!

You're free to think women aren't funny, you should just be able to back it up without relying on flawed logic, that you can bend and flex to suit your own narrative.

You think ticket sales are flawed logic...that is your right...but who are you to decide what flawed logic is? Ticket Sales and earnings are pretty much the parameters used by every professional creative and sporting industry.

I have already told you I know of plenty of witty women...but feel free to ignore that too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

But most comedy fans are buying tickets to the most popular acts???

I know plenty of people who have paid to see "stadium comedians" at the 3 Arena and haven't been to another comedy gig in years, or in some cases ever. These are guys they see on TV with big specials and then recognise the name when tickets go on sale and decide they'll go. They'd be the comedy equivalent of people who'd go and see Michael Buble or whoever in some stadium, not because they're huge fans but because they recognise the name, know a few songs and go because it's a big event. Even moderately well known comedians mean nothing to most of those people. I went to see Dave Gorman a few months ago and the number of blank faces I got when I mentioned him to people in work far outweighed those who knew him.

• Advertisement

I don't think Brendan Grace was the funniest Irish comedian but he was very successful!!

Right, so just because he was more successful, does not mean he was objectively funnier than everyone else gigging at the time. He may have sold more tickets but that doesn't make him funnier.

Great same page.

Now let's take it a step further, by your ticket sales = funny model then Irish comedians aren't funny, because if you look at ticket sales on a macro level less people globally will buy tickets to see an Irish comedian, they're not as popular and therefore must be assumed to be less funny?

Advertisement