Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf fitting questions (can't find on other threads)

Options
  • 18-12-2018 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi Guys,

I know there are a few threads on club fitting but I can't find one that answers my question and many are years old; so...

I was wondering; if there is anywhere I can go to get measured up for custom fit clubs (i.e. length, shaft recommendations, lie angle, grip etc) without having to buy clubs there. I would expect to pay for this of course - but how much roughly?

I've been hacking away since I was a kid but just started playing seriously and joined a club this year. I got my CONGU hcap (18, which is tight IMO I think I'm mid-20s) and am probably going to refresh my bag of mostly hand-me-downs in the new year. If buying new clubs I feel I might as well get them fitted.

I've found a UK site that has free Irish delivery and is a good bit cheaper than any Irish shops (€200 cheaper for a set of 7 premium irons for example and €60-€100 cheaper for a driver), they also have loads of customisation if you know what you need - hence wanting to get fitted and not have to buy clubs. If I do refresh the whole bag these cheaper prices will really stack up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

bonzodog8 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I know there are a few threads on club fitting but I can't find one that answers my question and many are years old; so...

I was wondering; if there is anywhere I can go to get measured up for custom fit clubs (i.e. length, shaft recommendations, lie angle, grip etc) without having to buy clubs there. I would expect to pay for this of course - but how much roughly?

I've been hacking away since I was a kid but just started playing seriously and joined a club this year. I got my CONGU hcap (18, which is tight IMO I think I'm mid-20s) and am probably going to refresh my bag of mostly hand-me-downs in the new year. If buying new clubs I feel I might as well get them fitted.

I've found a UK site that has free Irish delivery and is a good bit cheaper than any Irish shops (€200 cheaper for a set of 7 premium irons for example and €60-€100 cheaper for a driver), they also have loads of customisation if you know what you need - hence wanting to get fitted and not have to buy clubs. If I do refresh the whole bag these cheaper prices will really stack up.

Depending on where you live a good option which I did myself is Mcguirks golf in Ladytown Business Pk at Toughers Naas, They charge 30euro and you get your measurements and if you buy they take the 30 euro off cost off

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Depending on where you live a good option which I did myself is Mcguirks golf in Ladytown Business Pk at Toughers Naas, They charge 30euro and you get your measurements and if you buy they take the 30 euro off cost off

same applies at McGuirks in leopardstown driving range.
    Robbie Jackson there is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bonzodog8

Ok that sounds good I use Leopardstown driving range anyway so will see what they say when I'm next there. I presume if you get fitted for your 7i for example you could use the same setting for the rest of your irons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Ok that sounds good I use Leopardstown driving range anyway so will see what they say when I'm next there. I presume if you get fitted for your 7i for example you could use the same setting for the rest of your irons?

Yes that's the normal way of doing it.
    Driver will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Hi Guys,

May I ask what online site you Found with the good value.
    Currently looking at a new set myself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Lie angle are a funny one Ben Hogan played all his irons 3 degrees flat. This helped him swing more around his body. Today irons are too upright you see a lot of golfers stand up through the hit, that was my problem I was amazed when I flattened my irons 3 degrees I was all of a sudden getting through the ball and my weight finished on the target side.
    My point is only you know how you swing the club decide if you're a round the body swinger or an up and down steeper plane. Don't let the irons dictate your swing I lost a whole season last year figuring that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

I found McGuirks a joke, the bloke brought me to the simulator and got me to try 3 drivers without adjustments, shaft changes etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Stacksey wrote: »
    I found McGuirks a joke, the bloke brought me to the simulator and got me to try 3 drivers without adjustments, shaft changes etc etc

He was probably working in B&Q the week before. I've always found these people know nothing about golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

He was probably working in B&Q the week before. I've always found these people know nothing about golf

I found them quite the opposite, went to Shane in Kinseally Grange, really knew his stuff. Not rushed or pushy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Hi Guys,

What do you do if you buy online and the clubs don't work out? Paying just a little more locally may mean better service if things go wrong, better value in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

TBH that's a bit of a generalisation, even if there's a grain of truth in it.
    Some of the shop fitters are not pros and are simply taught how to use the fitting equipment and look for optimal numbers.
    Others are very good. I found Robbie in McGuirks in Leopardstown driving range to be excellent the two or three times I've used him (woods and irons). He was happy to explain the "why" behind the various items he was suggesting for me and how they would impact my game based on the shots he was seeing (another benefit of Leopardstown is that you're not hitting into a simulator, its proper shots into the range, granted with range balls).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Simo67

Not far from Dublin is Bunclody resort, the pro there is Gary. Excellent fitter and will not sell you a club if there is no performance gain, also will give you some swing advice. He can give you something to work on before committing to the full spend, important for the higher handicap golfer, as the swing improves your lie angle, club shaft etc. probably will change. A great feature there, is that you are hitting the balls to an open range in a private section, better than when comparing to a computer screen used in some places. You can pay for the fitting and not buy clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

I have not tried them but ForeGolf is supposedly quite good: https://www.foregolf.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

I have not tried them but ForeGolf is supposedly quite good: https://www.foregolf.ie/

Yes they are indeed quite good......at marketing, they might even fit you out for a golf club too.

slave1 below has it, I found them on clubhousegolf. Was looking at cobra f8s and they were a few hundred cheaper online with free delivery to dublin. Also you could customise them if you knew what you wanted. though since then American golf (and I presume halpenny and mcguirks) have dropped their prices so I'd probably get them here.

Anyone been fitted in American Golf? I bought a few clubs from the one in Tallaght and found them quite helpful (not custom fit though).

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Another recommendation for Robbie in McGuirks Leopardstown range. Went to him for my irons after 2 mates went and recommended him. Really knows his stuff, I was very impressed with the fitting and have sent other people on to him. For €30 odd quid you can’t go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone been fitted in American Golf? I bought a few clubs from the one in Tallaght and found them quite helpful (not custom fit though).

Yep, lads are sound and the fitting was decent.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Yeah, Robbie in McGuirks Leopardstown is very good. explains everything as to why and what. Was interested in a 500 quid driver and after trying those and others he suggested the club for 180 quid less as been the much more suitable club. I know a certain kid in a golf shop in Lucan who would look no further the 500 quid driver and tell me that's what I'm missing from my bag, and possibly suggest to buy 3 dozen pro v 1s for the ultimate fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Yeah, Robbie in McGuirks Leopardstown is very good. explains everything as to why and what. Was interested in a 500 quid driver and after trying those and others he suggested the club for 180 quid less as been the much more suitable club. I know a certain kid in a golf shop in Lucan who would look no further the 500 quid driver and tell me that's what I'm missing from my bag, and possibly suggest to buy 3 dozen pro v 1s for the ultimate fit.

Rang up to book a fitting with Robbie today and said he didn't work there anymore. Does anyone know where he went to? Been recommended him by a lot of people

Yep, lads are sound and the fitting was decent.

Ok that's good to hear as I've got some AG vouchers I want to use when I get round to upgrading my clubs.

Advertisement