Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Guinness the real loser of the drink-at-home trend?

• 29-12-2018 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Even though they do sell Guinness in cans, from observation, it never really struck me as being really popular.

Is Guinness (stout) the real loser of the drink-at-home trend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

jetsonx wrote: »
    Even though they do sell Guinness in cans, from observation, it never really struck me as being really popular.

There's no stout of their own (or anyone elses for that matter) that's sold in bottle or can that comes close to a proper pint of it so it's definitely lost out on sales from me not going to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I actually love the cans - store upright in the fridge for a few days before drinking, pour gently and slowly, wait a few minutes and you have a gorgeous pint that to my mind would rival a lot of pub pulls.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Diageo picks that back up on cans of Carlsberg, Budweiser and Rockshore. I'm sure they're not bothered that Guinness is primarily a pub beer. It adds to the mystique.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Guinness cans are magnificent. Not as good as a great pint but holds it's own with a lot of Dublin bar pints IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Guinness the pint yes diageo less so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

BeerNut wrote: »
    Diageo picks that back up on cans of Carlsberg, Budweiser and Rockshore. I'm sure they're not bothered that Guinness is primarily a pub beer. It adds to the mystique.

Way bigger margins in kegs though they definitely feel some pain, also brexit is coming and the beer is canned up north

it never really struck me as being really popular.

Guinness is the best selling slab of beer by a significant margin where I work. While they don't make a huge amount of money off it they have the market share which the diageo rep tells me is what they really care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's no stout of their own (or anyone elses for that matter) that's sold in bottle or can that comes close to a proper pint of it so it's definitely lost out on sales from me not going to the pub.

A can of draught guinness in a stout glass at home is pretty much the same as the one you get in the pub. Don't tell me otherwise. I'm a craft beer drinker (whatever that means: I just like good beer) but I've drank Guinness all over Dublin and the country for years and still do.

The only difference is the mystical marketing and a barman not doing the really really really essential two-part pour.

The mythical idea that pint quality of the highest selling porter in the country (with a zealous quality deperatment) varies greatly from pub to pub is largely illusory. If it's a half decently ran pub, the pints are generally the same. The rest is all Ronnie Drew Folklore bollocks about a Great Pint Of Plain.

A can of draught guinness in a stout glass at home is pretty much the same as the one you get in the pub. Don't tell me otherwise. I'm a craft beer drinker (whatever that means: I just like good beer) but I've drank Guinness all over Dublin and the country for years and still do.

The only difference is the mystical marketing and a barman not doing the really really really essential two-part pour.

The mythical idea that pint quality of the highest selling porter in the country (with a zealous quality deperatment) varies greatly from pub to pub is largely illusory. If it's a half decently ran pub, the pints are generally the same. The rest is all Ronnie Drew Folklore bollocks about a Great Pint Of Plain.

I don't know where you're getting your cans from but I've never had one to match an even average pint. Believe it or not, you're not the only person who has drank loads of it.

I've never had one to match an even average pint.
    In what way do they differ?

• Advertisement

In what way do they differ?

The head you get on a can is always vile in taste and appearance, and there's something really thin and watery feeling about the drink itself. Basically like a pint that would make you drink something else on a night out.

I've forgotten for long enough that I've gave them a retry numerous times and it's always the same. The post I was replying to just reeks of a massive chip about marketing anyway but it's absolutely preposterous to say that all pints of it in all pubs are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Always liked the cans of Guinness. 45 degree pour slowly, leave to settle a few minutes and it's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Some brilliant answers there!

Great and hilarious deconstruction...!

What do think of the Guinness served abroad?

it's absolutely preposterous to say that all pints of it in all pubs are the same.
    And yet there's never any sensory evidence produced to back that position up. It just is. Sure you'd know if you drink enough pints. The head on canned Guinness is "vile".

People with training in describing and evaluating beer never seem to subscribe to "good and bad" pints of Guinness. Just a coincidence?

And yet there's never any sensory evidence produced to back that position up. It just is. Sure you'd know if you drink enough pints. The head on canned Guinness is "vile".

People with training in describing and evaluating beer never seem to subscribe to "good and bad" pints of Guinness. Just a coincidence?

There are good and bad pints of Guinness and that is simply a fact. My local is one of them, doesn't matter who pulls it, when they pull it, or how they pull it, it is not appetising in the slightest. No self proclaimed expert is going to make it taste any better.

No self proclaimed expert is going to make it taste any better.
    A formally qualified one isn't either, but they'd at least be able to say what if anything is wrong with it. Which would certainly help reduce the number of circular arguments on the Boards beer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The head you get on a can is always vile in taste and appearance, and there's something really thin and watery feeling about the drink itself. Basically like a pint that would make you drink something else on a night out.

I've forgotten for long enough that I've gave them a retry numerous times and it's always the same. The post I was replying to just reeks of a massive chip about marketing anyway but it's absolutely preposterous to say that all pints of it in all pubs are the same.

You must be storing and pouring your cans wrong. I've gotten the same quality head from a can as a pub and usually a more consistent quality from the can.

Reminds me of person I worked with who wouldn't drink milk out of the plastic cartoons because they don't like the taste of plastic, they couldn't understand that the cardboard milk cartoons are plastic lined.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Regular drinker of draught Guinness and have to say the can if chilled is about as good as you get in most pubs. Probably not up to mulligans or long hall but almost there.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You must be storing and pouring your cans wrong. I've gotten the same quality head from a can as a pub and usually a more consistent quality from the can.

Reminds me of person I worked with who wouldn't drink milk out of the plastic cartoons because they don't like the taste of plastic, they couldn't understand that the cardboard milk cartoons are plastic lined.

There's no chance I've ever poured all of the hundreds of cans of Guinness I've drank wrong. Nor has each and every person who's ever poured me one either.

I can get that people prefer the way a can is, it's personal taste after all and you hear of people even liking those bottles with the bubbly yellow froth, but not in a million years for me does a can touch a proper pint of it.

But thanks, the "you think different so you're doing it wrong" has just served as a nice reminder of the forum I ventured into :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I laugh at people saying this pub has great Gunniess shut its all the same product in every pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Cans of Guinness at home - consistently very good.
    Pub pints of Guinness - varies from fantastic to ****e depending on the pub.

Some brilliant answers there!

Great and hilarious deconstruction...!

What do think of the Guinness served abroad?

It's a really long time since I had a pint of Guinness outside Ireland to be fair

I'm not knocking the marketing thing. It's actually very clever.

Diageo have convinced a huge segment of the country that would run a mile from Wrasslers, Leann Foillain or Guinness Foreign Extra that draught Guinness is some kind of alchemy that can vary from pub to pub instead of being the biggest selling drink in the country with the setup of same strictly organised and regulated by Diageo across the country.

Guinness is a big cultural thing here. Even though I frequently drink it as a default option in the absence of other stouts and know its basically cooled and tweaked over the years to almost not taste like stout anymore, I still get that Drinking A Pint Of Plain In Grogans feeling.

The fact remains that they put a mountain of money into making draught cans taste and look like pints of Guinness in a pub and they basically do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Incorrect. There are many better stouts than Guinness in bottles, cans, and draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I find cans to be consistently good, once they are chilled enough but there is definitely a difference in the quality of a pint from pub to pub. I rarely go into town these days but if I do then Mulligans is always a good pint, and has been ever since I've lived here (20 years now)

The best pints of plain invariably being in Mulligans or Grogans are because we want them to be, given how historical those superb Dublin boozers are and the history therein. I myself have supped in Grogans on and off for nearly 30 years.

The pints are pretty much the same there as in tallaght or Leitrim though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Incorrect. There are many better stouts than Guinness in bottles, cans, and draught.

Taste is subjective

I agree with you but it's an opinion not a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

after all and you hear of people even liking those bottles with the bubbly yellow froth

Is that bottles of Guinness you are talking about? I enjoy them myself, more flavoursome (?) imo.

I wonder are people just not particularly fans of the flavours within a Stout, and Guinness draught just creates that smooth and less flavoursome (nice and cold) version of a Stout? I noticed people mentioning above that they enjoy the cans when chilled enough, which again is about removing the flavour I guess?

I love stouts myself. But enjoy them more when not very cold. Really enjoy Leann Follain and great that there's often a bottle behind a bar with a bad selection!

Personally find Guinness draught consistently inoffensive myself. My go to when nothing more interesting on offer though so I drink it regularly. It's always grand :)

All this talk of Guinness....

Edit: Actually, is a bottle of Guinness vs draught just that one is carbonated and one has nitrogen, and that's the only difference? Same recipe? And it effects the taste that much? I know loads of Guinness drinkers who couldn't drink a bottle of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Its probably already been posted but couldn't be arsed reading the whole thread...

Um, no. Diageo own so many beer products they are well covered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

There are good and bad pints of Guinness and that is simply a fact.

Guinness is one of the most homogeneous, tightly controlled food products on earth. Diageo control every aspect from the specifications of the malted barley, hop acid levels, yeast virility and age, packaging, distribution, and even the chillers are lines within the pubs that sell it, as far as even insisting that their "quality team" staff are the ones to service the chillers are clean the lines, rather than letting publicans do it themselves.

The only difference between pub A and pub B would be placebo or temperature.

If both are selling a decent amount of the product and the chillers are active and lines flowing, if you claim there's one pub better than the other, it's probably more to do with your arse preferring the shape of the stools rather than the beer itself.

The only places that genuinely have "bad" Guinness are nightclubs and function rooms in hotels where they might not sell very much at all and the lines could be sitting idle for the guts of a week, but even then once the chiller gets doing it's job and the lines are moving, it will be the exact same product as everywhere else.

Advertisement