Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford City centre security??

Options
  • 22-12-2018 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

well lads, thought this was the best place to ask this.

was out in town today and saw these two people walking around with what looked like navy stab vests and black uniforms with caps and radios, they resembled guards but clearly were not, they had no badges on their vests or caps or any logo nor did they have PSA licences on display, they reminded me of the luas security they looked to be all around the main center but would not go anywhere near city square

have they always been there and i just never noticed?

are they contracted by the council?

are they a security company? if so why were no licences on display?

are they really needed i saw plenty of gardai around the place?

(just to add i live out in Tra so i'm not in town as much so maybe they have always been there)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I did see a couple of guys like that once a couple of weeks ago. There was something on their vests. I can't remember what it was but it suggested they were paramedics or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Winterval security?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Believe they are paid for by city centre retailers. They started doing so as the Garda do not have the resources to police the city centre effectively. Due mainly to the fact that Waterford city has like for like 20% less Garda than elsewhere in the country.

I wonder if Waterford people paid 20% less tax what the response would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ry7704ng

Winterval security?

was thinking that myself

BBM77 wrote: »
    Believe they are paid for by city centre retailers. They started doing so as the Garda do not have the resources to police the city centre effectively. Due mainly to the fact that Waterford city has like for like 20% less Garda than elsewhere in the country.

I wonder if Waterford people paid 20% less tax what the response would be!

do you have any more info on their company? if they have one that is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

They've been around for at least 3 or 4 years now for Winterval.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

They are Manguard Security I think, same crowd who does the stewarding at the RSC for Blues game. Any of them I've dealt with at matches have been a lovely bunch in fairness. I assumed myself that the security in town was Winterval-related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭914

Think the cover security at festivals. Spraoi, winterval, harvest festival etc. For the first few years they looked like some rouge secret police force, now thankfully they display, a large sign on their back saying 'event coordinator' or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

914 wrote: »
    Think the cover security at festivals. Spraoi, winterval, harvest festival etc. For the first few years they looked like some rouge secret police force, now thankfully they display, a large sign on their back saying 'event coordinator' or something like that.

Rouge eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

They are Manguard Security I think, same crowd who does the stewarding at the RSC for Blues game. Any of them I've dealt with at matches have been a lovely bunch in fairness. I assumed myself that the security in town was Winterval-related

Yeah tis the lads that cover the games in the RSC. The council have hired them to help around the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GowlBagJohnson

Scunders Aherne is back on the scene for Christmas apparently so everyone is taking precautions. He was on the run in England for a few months but he came back for the Christmas to visit his father Bertie. He's been causing some hassle around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Private event security company of some sort?Run by Mark Dunne i think?

914 wrote: »
    I saw one lad like that. I was with the ambulance collecting for the day and a bunch of an came up and wanted every bit of paperwork we could possible give them and wanted the guards to check the tax on our ambo. There was an event coordinator which had a doorman license on dispalay and then there was the lads looking like guards on steroids with runners with no identification at all no badges or patches, one of their caps said "manguard plus",

They also all had stab vests but identified themselves as traffic control and told us we weren't allowed move without there say so. Why do traffic control and event coordinators need stab vests?

Should I report to the PSA as they had no license but were working for a security company?

They sure seem like a secret police and act like it too

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

The company is Manguard (formally CCS). They are employed by the Council to assist with Crowd Management and Event Control during major festivals.

Advertisement