Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If the Lions were playing tomorrow....

• 23-12-2018 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭

Here's my 23, assuming everyone is fit:

1. Cian Healy.
    2. Jamie George.
    3. Tadhg Furlong.
    4. James Ryan.
    5. Maro Itoje.
    6. Peter O'Mahony.
    7. Seán O'Brien.
    8. Billy Vunipola.
    9. Conor Murray.
    10. Johnny Sexton.
    11. Jacob Stockdale.
    12. Owen Farrell.
    13. Garry Ringrose.
    14. Anthony Watson.
    15. Stuart Hogg.

16. Ken Owens.
    17. Jack McGrath.
    18. Kyle Sinckler.
    19. Alun-Wyn Jones.
    20. C.J. Stander.
    21. Gareth Davies.
    22. Robbie Henshaw.
    23. Elliot Daly.

Fight me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'd argue that big Dev would get the call up finally. Hooker is an interesting one, there's no real standouts, George has been off the mark quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I'd argue that big Dev would get the call up finally. Hooker is an interesting one, there's no real standouts, George has been off the mark quite a bit.

It seems harsh to leave Dev out but he wouldn't get in ahead of Itoje or Ryan and I think Jones is still better. There wouldn't be much in it.

I agree on George. There are no world class hookers available to the Lions at present. Ken Owens seems to have taken a step back but that might just be the Scarlets as a whole.

I'm also a bit unsure about open side, right wing and fullback. There's a case to be made for loads of players in each of those positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Stuart McInally to start with Owens on the bench, George has been utter crap since the Lions.

Stuart McInally to start with Owens on the bench, George has been utter crap since the Lions.

Meh.

Maybe Ken Owens to start with Nugget on the bench?

troyzer wrote: »
    Meh.

McInally is a very good player. Didn’t realize he was so underestimated in these parts. Quality line out operator, nose for the try line, great scrummager. Fast becoming one of Scotland’s most important players. Owens is another great all rounder but McInally has outplayed him this year.

Don’t think Cronin is reliable enough at set piece to tour. Maybe as a midweeker but not a Test Lion.

• Advertisement

Meh.

McInally is a very good player. Didn’t realize he was so underestimated in these parts. Quality line out operator, nose for the try line, great scrummager. Fast becoming one of Scotland’s most important players. Owens is another great all rounder but McInally has outplayed him this year.

Don’t think Cronin is reliable enough at set piece to tour. Maybe as a midweeker but not a Test Lion.

You're probably right. I think I'm biased because I don't really associate Scotland with good front row players at the moment. I've seen them physically brutalised too often to really rate any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

6n..world cup.... yeah.. let's worry about the lions...ffs

We talk about the six nations and world cup ad nauseum. I thought it might be interesting to see how many Irish players we reckon would make a Lions team now.

I'd like to apologies on behalf of everyone here that you were forced to not only click on this thread, but subsequently make a comment.

I wish I could give you the time back but unfortunately I am not an arbiter of the universal factor of synchronisation.

1. Cian Healy.
    2. Jamie George.
    3. Tadhg Furlong.
    4. James Ryan.
    5. Maro Itoje.
    6. Peter O'Mahony.
    7. Seán O'Brien.
    8. Billy Vunipola.
    9. Conor Murray.
    10. Johnny Sexton.
    11. Jacob Stockdale.
    12. Owen Farrell.
    13. Garry Ringrose.
    14. Anthony Watson.
    15. Stuart Hogg.

16. Ken Owens.
    17. Jack McGrath.
    18. Kyle Sinckler.
    19. Alun-Wyn Jones.
    20. C.J. Stander.
    21. Gareth Davies.
    22. Robbie Henshaw.
    23. Elliot Daly.

Fight me.

Wales online might actually break the internet over that starting 15.

• Advertisement

1. Cian Healy.
    2. Jamie George.
    3. Tadhg Furlong.
    4. James Ryan.
    5. Maro Itoje.
    6. Peter O'Mahony.
    7. Seán O'Brien.
    8. Billy Vunipola.
    9. Conor Murray.
    10. Johnny Sexton.
    11. Jacob Stockdale.
    12. Owen Farrell.
    13. Garry Ringrose.
    14. Anthony Watson.
    15. Stuart Hogg.

16. Ken Owens.
    17. Jack McGrath.
    18. Kyle Sinckler.
    19. Alun-Wyn Jones.
    20. C.J. Stander.
    21. Gareth Davies.
    22. Robbie Henshaw.
    23. Elliot Daly.

Fight me.

Wales online might actually break the internet over that starting 15.

Can you really make an argument for any Wales player over any of that starting XV? Maybe Ken Owens for hooker but that's it for me really. Halfpenny at an absolute stretch.

Can you really make an argument for any Wales player over any of that starting XV? Maybe Ken Owens for hooker but that's it for me really. Halfpenny at an absolute stretch.

One obvious one would be Jonathan Davies. I'd personally go with Ringrose, but Davies was the player of the NZ tour and would have a big say on the 13 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Has O'Brien really done enough to merit a start in a Lions team? I'm a big fan but he's spent most of this season out injured.

One obvious one would be Jonathan Davies. I'd personally go with Ringrose, but Davies was the player of the NZ tour and would have a big say on the 13 shirt.

He's been off form so far this season. I don't know how much of my thinking is biased by the epic collapse in Scarlets' form but it's really hard to rate any of them as individuals as much as I would have even six months ago.

He's been off form so far this season. I don't know how much of my thinking is biased by the epic collapse in Scarlets' form but it's really hard to rate any of them as individuals as much as I would have even six months ago.

I wouldn't be in a rush to say anything about Davies until we see him in the six nations personally. He'll be a very different proposition in that Welsh team.

I think Wales are potentially 3rd in the World at the moment, I agree it's hard to know who to make an argument for, but obviously some of them are doing something right!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I dunno if I'd play Ryan and Itoje together. They seem to fill similar roles. Pick.one of those two to partner with AWJ who is still world class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭KBurke85

What’s it matter the lions aren’t playing untill 2021

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

I'd like to apologies on behalf of everyone here that you were forced to not only click on this thread, but subsequently make a comment.

I wish I could give you the time back but unfortunately I am not an arbiter of the universal factor of synchronisation.

I'm sorry....Xmas and lions...just don't go together for me :)

And give me extra credit for not correcting your typo

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

madds wrote: »
    Has O'Brien really done enough to merit a start in a Lions team? I'm a big fan but he's spent most of this season out injured.

No

Leavy, VDF, Watson, and Underhill would be competing for the 7 jersey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement