Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Golfer Magazine Top 100 Golf Courses

• 21-12-2018 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Here's the latest top 100 rankings from Irish Golfer Magazine

http://digital.irishgolfer.ie/i/1065125-january-2019 , pages 71 onwards

There's a lot of talking points in this one, for example RCD is 5th in the country yet some have it as the best in the world! Another is Old Head, some of the courses ahead of it include Fota, Slieve Russell, Killeen Castle, Royal Dublin, do you know anyone travelling to Ireland to play golf who says any on those are must plays on their list? Yet, how many say Old Head is a must play?

The fall of Ballybunion seems short sighted too, the dry summer is the reason given for the drop, surely unusual events should be ignored in long term rankings?

Finally, the position of Carton House - Montgomery is just too high, it's not very good at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Haven't had a proper run through it yet, but had a few posts up on twitter hit my feed with people giving out about Concra Wood only being at 59 on the list, given it was a EuroPro Tour event host, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

And how much money did Fota, Slieve Russell, Killeen and RCD spend on advertising with Irish Golfer over the past 12 months

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Isn't it great we can have serious contention for 100 courses given the size of our island.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭thewobbler

A few things here.

If courses weren’t subject to a review based on their current/recent conditions, then there would be no point in an annual ranking.

RCD has been overrated for years. It’s an outstanding golf experience, but on repeat visits a) it’s not as much fun as golf should be, b) holes 14-17 are weak. No other course gets a 100% ranking for 14 holes, and nor should RCD.

Concra is fine golf course. But it has some pretty crap holes too - 7, 9, 15, 18 - which its exponents always want to overlook. From my perspective, every hole at Luttelstown and Slieve Russel is better than those 4 holes. Neither has Concra’s views, but they might (not definitely) actually be better courses.

Hosting a Euro Pro event shouldn’t be a marker of anything. I’ve played half a dozen tour courses in Europe that wouldn’t come close to making the top 50 in Ireland.

Advertising money might decide minor placing but it’s never going to promote a major jump. Journalists and experts might just dig their heels in more than you imagine.

Mentioned before, but Ireland doesn’t need a top 100. We have too few courses to reward basically 1 in 3, when the difference between number 60 and 110 would be minimal to none. It needs a top 50, with clubs fighting tooth and nail to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Top nine hole course in the country after the members saved the place from extinction this time last year. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Played Palmerstown House today. Long and tough but fabulous. I can't believe there are 69 better courses than it in Ireland??

I wouldn't have put O'Meara at Carton House ahead of it for one??

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Top nine hole course in the country after the members saved the place from extinction this time last year. :D

Have to agree, this 9 hole course Blessington lakes should not only be recognised as the best 9 hole course in the country but as 1 of the best courses in the country..There is a bit of a look down your nose situation with this as " it's only a 9 hole course" but I'd challenge anybody pro to low amateur to break par there...Well done lads on keeping it going

BTW..before the forum police get on about promotion...I'm not a member in BL

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Have to agree, this 9 hole course Blessington lakes should not only be recognised as the best 9 hole course in the country but as 1 of the best courses in the country..There is a bit of a look down your nose situation with this as " it's only a 9 hole course" but I'd challenge anybody pro to low amateur to break par there...Well done lads on keeping it going

Yeah one of the best in the country for a GUI card for €150 to play in opens. That's about it

Eoinyh wrote: »
    Yeah one of the best in the country for a GUI card for €150 to play in opens. That's about it
    Would not call this a good deal, below avarage course, you'd be better spending a few more euros than the €525 an get a 18 hole course

You were wrong last time Eoiny and you are wrong again.

• Advertisement

There's more if you keep looking there. One mans weed is another's flower.WEED. Yes I maybe wrong,the distance membership could be gone up to €200

Don't undersell it Downthemiddle, for about 700 euro if I'm not mistaken..you would have a top 100 course (if powers that be) recognize a 9 hole course as such ,on the outskirts of Dublin ..Top notch if you ask me..look forward to playing it again in 2019

You seem confused.
    Forget about them the blessed lakes 15 minutes from the M50, 25 from dunboyne,super track

You seem confused.

Some say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, I personally like it. I wasn't wrong,€150 still to buy your handicap.

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Don't undersell it Downthemiddle, for about 700 euro if I'm not mistaken..you would have a top 100 course (if powers that be) recognize a 9 hole course as such ,on the outskirts of Dublin ..Top notch if you ask me..look forward to playing it again in 2019

It isn't my intention to make this thread about my club. We are proud of everything we have achieved this year. Being recognised as the best 9 hole course in the country is further vindication of all the good work the members are doing. We believe that we offer genuine value for anyone who wants to play our course and people are welcome to come along and play and judge for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Rackstar

You seem confused.

Time for a rereg eoinyh :D:D:D

It isn't my intention to make this thread about my club. We are proud of everything we have achieved this year. Being recognised as the best 9 hole course in the country is further vindication of all the good work the members are doing. We believe that we offer genuine value for anyone who wants to play our course and people are welcome to come along and play and judge for themselves.

I didn't know you were a member and have nothing against BL as a club, by all accounts it sounds like there is a great club atmosphere there.I have a problem with people coming on here and as I would see it,falsely promoting BL as some sort of amazing 9 hole course that is a must play.It is not. Iv said it here before an il say it again Cruit Island 9 hole bucket list course. In fact take any of the top 100 courses back or front 9s on there own, they are all better than BL 9 holes. As for Ivan Morris rating, it only carries weight if you agree with him. Maybe some people just want him to be right

Just looking at 2019 interclub draws and after last year's omission it's great to see you back in this year and no doubt causing a few upsets like Junior cup in 16 or 17 in Castlewarden not sure quite the year ..Looking forward to doing battle and meeting up with a few old rivals again..as I said before Fair play to you all there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

*Takes a quick glance... sees Druids Glen at 39... throws magazine for recycling*

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

i was susprised at Tulfarris being so high but in fairness to the owners they have invested quite a lot in the course and it was a picture post card during that Pro event they hosted during the summer. Just on the 9 hole thing i noticed that they mentioned Mulranny in the bubbling under catergory and it being i think the only 9 holer to get a mention. Nice course but not a patch on any in Ivan Morris's top 15. Carrickmines is a lovely course, Foxrock and Kiliney also magic. I hear good things about St Helens bay near Belfast but of Course the Blessed Nine is just heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Corballis making Top 100 is a bit of a stretch, especially if current condition is taken into account. I played it in November and the fairways were in dreadful condition. Partly due to the drought which killed off all of the grass but also full of divots which had not been repaired. Had to have placing and then difficult to find a decent bit of grass within the allowed 6 inches. Light rough was full of divots too but no placing there meant some horrible lies with no relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Corballis making Top 100 is a bit of a stretch, especially if current condition is taken into account. I played it in November and the fairways were in dreadful condition. Partly due to the drought which killed off all of the grass but also full of divots which had not been repaired. Had to have placing and then difficult to find a decent bit of grass within the allowed 6 inches. Light rough was full of divots too but no placing there meant some horrible lies with no relief.

100% agree, how can Corballis be ranked and when it's ranked its ranked before North West which is a proper full 18 hold course and only €15 to play. Corballis is a fine pay and play but that's it. Also Knightbrook missing, the list is a joke and the Island and Co Louth both before the two Ballyliffen courses... Wow.

I think they need new people to rank the courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ollieboy wrote: »
    100% agree, how can Corballis be ranked and when it's ranked its ranked before North West which is a proper full 18 hold course and only €15 to play. Corballis is a fine pay and play but that's it. Also Knightbrook missing, the list is a joke and the Island and Co Louth both before the two Ballyliffen courses... Wow.

I think they need new people to rank the courses.

I think I played a part in getting Corballis in there :p:D

I love Corballis - but would not consider it a full course. So would not consider it for the list.

I haven't played the courses in Ballyliffin -

But from playing the other courses you mentioned - Co Louth and The Island are top of the range. The Island in my opinion is the best course on the full east coast.

Knightsbrook - I wasn't too impressed with, a bad Christy O'Connor hotel course and a swamp when I played there.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

I think I played a part in getting Corballis in there :p:D

I love Corballis - but would not consider it a full course. So would not consider it for the list.

I haven't played the courses in Ballyliffin -

But from playing the other courses you mentioned - Co Louth and The Island are top of the range. The Island in my opinion is the best course on the full east coast.

Knightsbrook - I wasn't too impressed with, a bad Christy O'Connor hotel course and a swamp when I played there.
    Do you know how Palmerstown ended up so low?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

davegilly wrote: »
    Do you know how Palmerstown ended up so low?

I can't say - But , I've played Palmerstown House once - and it isn't a particularly memorable course.
    It relies on being very very hard and over use of silly bunkers and water

From a playability perspective it is just comically difficult and that is not what the majority of golfers are going to like. The total length of the course including between greens and tee boxes are going to make it a long day.

At the end of the day it is a course designed for buggies - it is a holiday course over manufactured.

It seems a bit low alright - but if you said to me do you want to play Tullamore or Palmerston tomorrow - I'd be off to Offaly and drive past there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

For those who like lists, here are the top 100:

468939.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

91/100 so feel I can comment....

No Hogs Head?
    Can't argue too much with top 5 (apart from Adare), mine would be Portrush as #1 anyhow with Lahinch second
    Links dominate and rightly so
    Doonbeg greens are not top 50, they should be considerably better after three years, look at how the new holes in Portrush are bedded in, you would not know they were so fresh whereas you can still see the sowing lines in DB
    The Ballyliffens should be closer together, the Old greens are better but the Glashedy fairways are smoother and they are a great compliment of old and newer links
    Glad to see Old Head down the list a bit, overrated IMHO
    Castlerock will ascend in coming years
    I'd have Rosapenna Sandy higher and Old lower
    I'd have Ballybunion Cashen much higher, it's an adventure of variety
    I'd have Concra higher, Christy has made some wonderful courses
    Ardglass is a crime that low
    Farnham has been in brutal condition for years now, does not belong in the Top 100
    Corballis is nice but not Top 100
    Clandeboye and Esker Hills always remind me of each other and Clandeboye is a way superior track IMHO
    Dingle is nice and all that but very repetitive
    New Adare at #3 and ahead of RCD, that loses a lot of list credibility IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

slave1 wrote: »
    New Adare at #3 and ahead of RCD, that loses a lot of list credibility IMHO

I would have no problem with that. I think Adare is marginally better than RCD as a course and way ahead as an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Corballis in a top 100 list!
    =
    Joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Are the courses judged when at their best or is it across a range of seasons/weather conditions?

There are courses on that list that might be grand in high summer but don't handle wet weather very well - poor drainage etc.

If they are ranked on how they play in June it might be interesting but I wouldn't decide where to play in late October on it.

Advertisement