Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric Ireland net metering

Options
  • 21-12-2018 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Electric Ireland have extended the 9c/kWh net metering deal for the early adopters for another year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

freddyuk wrote: »
    Electric Ireland have extended the 9c/kWh net metering deal for the early adopters for another year.

What's that about could you explain?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What's that about could you explain?

A few years back EI offered a feed in tariff to solar PV systems. They closed it to new entrants a shortly afterwards.

kceire wrote: »
    A few years back EI offered a feed in tariff to solar PV systems. They closed it to new entrants a shortly afterwards.

So is this opening it up again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Unfortunately not.

I had Electric Ireland in my house a month or two ago when they were interviewing me about my views on micro renewables (home solar thermal and home solar PV), the use and charging of EVs, V2H, V2G, the future of the relation and interaction of the utility company and their customer, the future of the grid, etc. etc. For which they kindly gave me a €100 One4All voucher.

I had hoped I was going to be in some sort of a pilot scheme testing a FIT for their current customers (not in the old net metering deal - this was supposed to be a new setup on a much larger scale), but I was disappointed their plans are vague and they have nothing concrete lined up. Not even any pilot schemes...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So is this opening it up again ?

No

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Unfortunately not.

I had Electric Ireland in my house a month or two ago when they were interviewing me about my views on micro renewables (home solar thermal and home solar PV), the use and charging of EVs, V2H, V2G, the future of the relation and interaction of the utility company and their customer, the future of the grid, etc. etc. For which they kindly gave me a €100 One4All voucher.

I had hoped I was going to be in some sort of a pilot scheme testing a FIT for their current customers (not in the old net metering deal - this was supposed to be a new setup on a much larger scale), but I was disappointed their plans are vague and they have nothing concrete lined up. Not even any pilot schemes...

Thanks unkel, that cleared it up, was a but confusing, shame the scheme isn't opening up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yes it's a shame. Instead of the PV subsidies, the government should have offered a FIT scheme. Costs nothing to the tax payer (unlike subsidies) and the FIT could have been low enough that it would have made a profit for the utility companies and the state. I would be willing to put up more PV if the FIT was as low as 6c/kWh or thereabouts. We would also have no need for home attached batteries yet - the grid is a far better, far more efficient and far cheaper battery...

Advertisement