Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heading up north.. whisk(e)y recommendations

• 25-07-2018 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭

I'll be driving up to Belfast via newry in the coming weeks.

I plan on picking up some Red breast,.. but what else whisk(e)y wise should I be looking for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not sure if they have it in Newry, but the Jura 10yo is a lovely non-peated scotch:
    https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&productId=1201810&urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10122&langId=44

It'd set you back about 50 euros here, on offer at £28.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Literally came in here to notify you about the Jura. I bought a bottle in Sainsbury's Newry last weekend and have yet to open it. They also have a couple of deals on other spirits at the moment, if gin isn't your only man:

Courvoisier brandy
    Aberlour whisky
    Plymouth gin
    Ha'penny gin

as well as a couple of deals on the fancy fever tree tonics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I've tried a few Jura over the years, nice drink

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭mikeecho

What I'm looking for is Whisk(e)us and other spirits that are great value compared to down south.

I don't visit the north that often.

So... first on my list is Redbreast £31 in Sainsbury

... what else should I be picking up.

It's two weeks since I was there, but I posted this when I got back, with the Newry purchases in bold, obviouslu=y.
    Picked up a few odds and ends over the past few weeks in Portugal and Newry:

Ha'penny gin - £28 70cl
    Tanqueray regular - €15 1L
    Tanqueray 10 1L + Johnny walker black collector's edition 1L - 2 for €60
    Bulldog gin - €20 70cl
    Gin Mar €32 70cl
    William Lawson's 13 year old scotch - €11 70cl!!
    Maciera Brandy - €12 1L
    Jura 10 year old - £28 70cl
    Lamb's Navy rum - £18 1L
    Havana 7yr old - €24 1L

The bar is well and truly restocked.

They have regular deals in Sainsburys, not sure if they're still the same ones that were on when I was up there. From memory, they had deals on Plymouth gin, all the Famous Grouse range (the smokey black is delicious), Bullitt bourbon and Courvoisier.

Check their website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Would there be much value in local off licences or small supermarkets in the North for spirits?
    Or do you really need to head to to the superstores?

I might be passing through the North but don't think I'll make it to an ASDA, Sainsburys, Tesco etc, will likely be small town territory.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Any shops offering parity with the euro, or are the deals so good that it is still worth travelling to newry to do shopping. Should i bring pounds

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

James 007 wrote: »
    Any shops offering parity with the euro, or are the deals so good that it is still worth travelling to newry to do shopping. Should i bring pounds

Just pay by card.

Just pay by card.
    Thanks, does the bank not charge extra fees by using the card, it probably does and is better than any exchange rate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks, does the bank not charge extra fees by using the card, it probably does and is better than any exchange rate

You answered your own question, there.
    Also, if given the option, pay in local currency (£st, in this case).

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, card it is then, no pounds here im afraid unless I do a 3 O'Clock in the morning job in one of the banks:rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

A lot of smaller places will have a price list in Euro and GBP,
    Others inflate the prices and offer parity, so just do your sums!!

Don't mind the pounds, card for everything. If you spend more than £25, they'll validate your parking ticket as well, so no need for any cash whatsoever. And stay away from the offo's, the deals in Sainsbury's are much better value.

On Sunday just gone I went back up and picked up the following (all 750ml except the Bailey's):

1L Baileys £15
    Havana 7 £21
    Whitley Neill Gin £20
    Ha'penny Gin £27
    Kraken Rum £19
    Chivas Regal £20
    Jawbox gin £30
    Famous Grouse smoky black £15

Total £167 which is roughly €185 or thereabouts. I'd say it would be €250+ down here.

Also got a rake of wines and fancy mixers for the gins and rums at much better prices than here.

Edit: Apologies, thought this was the North Drinks bargain thread.

Advertisement