Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sports Awards Team of Year Award.

• 15-12-2018 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

RTE Sports Awards on at mo,no mention of Mullinaughta in Team of Year Category.....not saying they should win it but surely it was one of the Greatest ever GAA performances when they won Leinster Title against all the odds.

I am a fan of all Sports and personally would give Ladies Hockey side the Award this year as they really upset all the odds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

RTE Sports Awards on at mo,no mention of Mullinaughta in Team of Year Category.....not saying they should win it but surely it was one of the Greatest ever GAA performances when they won Leinster Title against all the odds.

I am a fan of all Sports and personally would give Ladies Hockey side the Award this year as they really upset all the odds.

Probably to late for this year and be forgotten about next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Caught the first few minutes of the show and it had all the makings of a rugby wankathon anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

I saw this mentioned somewhere else during the week, and two things were pointed out:

1 - their Leinster success came after the shortlist was already announced
    2 - apparently it's some sort of rule of the scheme that a team can only be considered if they've won a national or international title. A provincial one doesn't cut it.

I agree however that their achievement has to be right up there. Still, don't think you can look any further than the Irish rugby team this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Duffryman wrote: »
    I saw this mentioned somewhere else during the week, and two things were pointed out:

1 - their Leinster success came after the shortlist was already announced
    2 - apparently it's some sort of rule of the scheme that a team can only be considered if they've won a national or international title. A provincial one doesn't cut it.

I agree however that their achievement has to be right up there. Still, don't think you can look any further than the Irish rugby team this year.

Well that’s fair enough then...only got to watch first half hour or so of it....was right about the Hockey Ladies anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

The hockey team still got trashed in the final and was only a moral victory that they got 2nd . yes big achievement to come 2nd but Irish rugby team deserved the award more I would have thought. Gram slam and beating the All Blacks in one year was an award in itself.

• Advertisement

I agree 100%. Consider a few details:

Team A wins only two out of six matches at their major tournament. The first of those is against a team that wouldn't win a match there at all. Granted, the second is a big shock victory over a supposed power in the sport (India), even if that supposed are much further down the rankings these days than they used to be.

Then they get beaten in their third group game, and in the play-off stages, just come out on the right side of two penalty shoot-out lotteries after backs-to-the-wall performances in the matches themselves, before finally being demolished in the final.

Team B plays eight of the top ten teams in the world during the year (according to the official rankings in their sport), beats them all (and beats most of them comfortably), and finishes the year within a whisker of being officially ranked world number 1.

And then Team A gets the award?????

Team A wins only two out of six matches at their major tournament. The first of those is against a team that wouldn't win a match there at all. Granted, the second is a big shock victory over a supposed power in the sport (India), even if that supposed are much further down the rankings these days than they used to be.

Then they get beaten in their third group game, and in the play-off stages, just come out on the right side of two penalty shoot-out lotteries after backs-to-the-wall performances in the matches themselves, before finally being demolished in the final.

Team B plays eight of the top ten teams in the world during the year (according to the official rankings in their sport), beats them all (and beats most of them comfortably), and finishes the year within a whisker of being officially ranked world number 1.

RTÉ set it up early in play to haul in votes for team A.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I suppose Dublin will have to win ten in a row to be in with a chance, or Limerick to wait another 45 years to win an all Ireland!

Anyway hockey like horse dancing last year is clearly the "heartbeat of the nation." :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The thing is - the Irish Rugby team could literally do no more this year (ok except beat Australia in the first Summer test, but they won the series as a whole which was the aim)

They could probably get the wooden spoon in the 6 Nations next year, and lose a pool match in the RWC, but if they go on to make the final - even in those circumstances - they will most likely win this award. And ahead of what will most likely be a 5 in a row winning Dublin team

Dublin or any other county team has little or no chance of winning a vote from people texting in. Which is understandable.

No harm to the hockey women - it is a good game and daughter used to play - but if people were that interested in then they might actually go to watch games, play it or even look it on TV. They don't.

If it was going to be an international team - and as PatW says the non stop media stuff about rugby would nearly put you off - then it was clearly the rugger chaps who earned it,

Interesting to see a beaming Minister ross who couldn't be bothered his ar$e to attend hurling or football finals handing prizes to his constituents :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Patww79 wrote: »
    Caught the first few minutes of the show and it had all the makings of a rugby wankathon anyway.
    Considering the year rugby had then of course rugby will have a lot of coverage

Hockey team went far and beyond all expectations in the world cup. Second lowest ranked before the world cup of all sides competing and finished second. Yes they were well beaten in the final but the dutch were winning their 8th cup out of 14 tournaments.
    Im a big rugby fan but hockey side deserved the award

There are hardly any "big hockey fans", no more than there are "big horse dancing fans."

Not getting at the tow previous winners at all, fair play to them. but to suggest that their achievements rank with teams that hadn't won a hurling final in donkey's years in last two years, or Dublin's four in a row, or the rugby team's is nonsense.

As for the annoyance with rugby, it is nothing to do with the team itself, much more so with the Marian Finnucane/D4 bolloxiology that infests the national media.

An attitude epitomised by a minister who doesn't even know the names of the people he tweets about, and who basically ignores the two sports that have by far the most people playing even in his own untypical constituency - "the gah" and soccer.

Hockey team went far and beyond all expectations in the world cup. Second lowest ranked before the world cup of all sides competing and finished second. Yes they were well beaten in the final but the dutch were winning their 8th cup out of 14 tournaments.
    Im a big rugby fan but hockey side deserved the award

Well, to me that sounds like we Irish are happier to honour a plucky underdog team which temporarily achieved results above its station in probably never-to-be-repeated circumstances, rather than recognising genuine and ongoing excellence.

But hey, you've got your view, and I've got mine...

Considering the year rugby had then of course rugby will have a lot of coverage

I'm no rugby fan but in all fairness they deserved it over the actual winners. RTE seemed to set it up early for the hockey team though to drag in as many votes as possible. As to why, we can't say even though we all know.

See also: the winner of the British version of the same award last night when their soccer team got to the semi finals of a World Cup.

Patww79 wrote: »
    See also: the winner of the British version of the same award last night when their soccer team got to the semi finals of a World Cup.

Had to look this one up. Good God. Netball. In the Commonwealth Games. Was this genuinely the greatest thing any British team achieved in any sport this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

The hockey team success was dampened by the fact that they were hammered in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The hockey final was probably the most surreal thing I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever seen a team laughing and waving during the national anthem in a major final before. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was an exhibition game. It didn't fully sit right with me, but that said they are never going to play in a major final again and by all accounts it was a similar equivalent to New Zealand vs Italy or someone in a Rugby World Cup Final, in that there was never any hope they were going to win so many felt they were right to enjoy the occasion while they could.

In many ways its no harm for the game to get one last bit of exposure while it can, and lets be honest the Rugby Team are hardly going to lose much sleep over missing out. Similar to Netball in SPOTY. Its pretty much impossible to relatively measure these things anyway

Advertisement