Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying bitcoin

Options
  • 14-12-2018 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me how easy is Bitcoin to buy.

Can I buy it with a prepaid credit card ? I don’t particularly want to put bank details to something I’m not too sure about.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Can anyone tell me how easy is Bitcoin to buy.

Can I buy it with a prepaid credit card ? I don’t particularly want to put bank details to something I’m not too sure about.

Easiest place to buy bitcoin is coinbase, see https://www.coinbase.com/dashboard Very safe but also has relatively high fees. As you're no doubt aware, crypto is a very high risk investment, so best advice is don't spend any money you're not willing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

smacl wrote: »
    Easiest place to buy bitcoin is coinbase, see https://www.coinbase.com/dashboard Very safe but also has relatively high fees. As you're no doubt aware, crypto is a very high risk investment, so best advice is don't spend any money you're not willing to lose.

Yes I understand but I am buying something online and the guy is asking for bit coin for some reason. If I’m buying and jut giving them to him am I taking a risk.

Yes I understand but I am buying something online and the guy is asking for bit coin for some reason. If I’m buying and jut giving them to him am I taking a risk.

Yes, you have no consumer protection at all that I'm aware of. I wouldn't tend to pay for anything online using bitcoin unless you trust the seller or have some other strong mechanism of guarantee. Usual rules of online purchasing apply, if a deal looks to good to be true, it is most likely dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Yes, you're taking a risk. Is it from a reputable site or if he's a seller on some site does he have many good ratings?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Paying by credit card you are protected. Paying by debit card you are protected. Paying by PayPal you are protected when paying for goods and services. The only way you have no PayPal protection is if you opt for the family & friend way to pay. Paying by Bitcoin you have zero protection. I'd run a mile from a seller only willing to accept Bitcoin or PayPal family & friends

• Advertisement

He has 742 positive reviews, but the fact he only takes bit coin makes me feel like I’m doing something illegal and it’s just IT stuff I’m buying.

He has 742 positive reviews, but the fact he only takes bit coin makes me feel like I’m doing something illegal and it’s just IT stuff I’m buying.

Word of warning that positive reviews can be bought, and sites like trust pilot aren't entirely trustworthy themselves. If it was me, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, but each to their own.

Word of warning that positive reviews can be bought, and sites like trust pilot aren't entirely trustworthy themselves. If it was me, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, but each to their own.

How can someone buy reviews excuse my ignorance.

How can someone buy reviews excuse my ignorance.

Search in eBay for Google reviews for sale. You can get 10 reviews for 3 or 4 dollars in some cases.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Search in eBay for Google reviews for sale. You can get 10 reviews for 3 or 4 dollars in some cases.

Even on verified sites such as eBay and that, ****.

• Advertisement

Even on verified sites such as eBay and that, ****.

I'm not sure what you are saying here but I don't believe you can buy ebay reviews as you can only review once you have bought something. I guess you could list 100 items for 2 cent each & give 100 good reviews but I think eBay would catch on to it

I'm not sure what you are saying here but I don't believe you can buy ebay reviews as you can only review once you have bought something. I guess you could list 100 items for 2 cent each & give 100 good reviews but I think eBay would catch on to it

Yeah well then I’m happy cause his reviews are on eBay.

Yeah well then I’m happy cause his reviews are on eBay.

Firstly, wasn't aware you could buy or bid on eBay with Bitcoin. Second, a quick Google shows that eBay reviews are regularly scammed.

Firstly, wasn't aware you could buy or bid on eBay with Bitcoin. Second, a quick Google shows that eBay reviews are regularly scammed.

It’s not with bitcoin. I purchased on EBay then he asked for Bitcoin.

Would you pay for it by posting the guy a bunch of cash in an unregistered envelope? That's pretty much what you're doing using Bitcoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Yeah, this is suspicious as fúck. There's a reason eBay recommends you report people who want you to use Western Union after PayPal was previously agreed - they're looking to rob you.

Think about it this way - why doesn't he just buy the bitcoin himself with the money you send him? Why should you jump through hoops so he gets his fave memecoin?

I went and bought the Bitcoin he says he will be sending in the morning I will see how that pans out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I went and bought the Bitcoin he says he will be sending in the morning I will see how that pans out

Lol....

You ask for advise and then completely ignore it...:P:P

Truckermal wrote: »

Lol....

You ask for advise and then completely ignore it...:P:P

I know I’m an idiot, but I’m desperate for the parts. I own a company, these are detrimental to my daily operating. I’m only in business 18 months I cannot afford to lose the custom with the parts.

I know I’m an idiot, but I’m desperate for the parts. I own a company, these are detrimental to my daily operating. I’m only in business 18 months I cannot afford to lose the custom with the parts.

I'd love to hear the outcome. I have my fingers crossed it all works out well for you

• Advertisement

I'd love to hear the outcome. I have my fingers crossed it all works out well for you

Will post here Friday with an update.

Very best of luck with it and looking forward to hearing the outcome.

Very best of luck with it and looking forward to hearing the outcome.

I’m regretting already but he has the bit coins and he’s still in contact so that’s something. See ya all Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What was the outcome?

Advertisement