Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What cattle ear tag supplier do you use?

• 16-12-2018 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭

I'm still with mullinahone, haven't had any problems with them since the new online payment system, although there's a bit of a wait for new tags. So which tag supplier are you with?

Which cattle ear tag supplier do you use? 55 votes

Mullinahone
    7% 4 votes
    Cormac
    40% 22 votes
    Datamars
    50% 28 votes
    Other
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Cormac all the way, better tags, better tagging system (strip of tags, no annoying white plastic that they fall out of, no extra pin), alot easier and small bvd sample, finally they are cheaper.

But by the sound of it mullinahone have stepped up their game, just shows how useful competition can be for us consumers in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Switched to cormac tags a couple of yrs ago.haven't had to replace one of their tags since.wouldn't go back to mullinahone tags even if they were free

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Cormac for all the reasons above plus I had them back in 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was going to start a thread on this. Sick of finding lost tags in the shed. Was going to ask how the cormac tags were doing for ye?
    Has the official replacement rate being published yet?
    Nothing like a.bit of competition for things to improve.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I was going to start a thread on this. Sick of finding lost tags in the shed. Was going to ask how the cormac tags were doing for ye?
    Has the official replacement rate being published yet?
    Nothing like a.bit of competition for things to improve.

Theu are a lot better than mullinahone were(i dont think ive replaced any of them yet) but mullinahone might have improved since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Use cormac here only since last year mainly due to the faster delivery, used to be waiting weeks on mulinahone. 're losing tags I'll reserve judgement as it's adult animals that lose tags not calves as such I find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Theu are a lot better than mullinahone were(i dont think ive replaced any of them yet) but mullinahone might have improved since.

Mullinahone had long enough to improve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Does the same applicator work for both cormac and mullinahone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Avns1s wrote: »

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Delighted to have an option of leaving Mullinahone, the tag quality had declined and they refused to acknowledge it until forced to allow for "a few batches"🙄
    I'd one year if stock where nearly every one lost a tag, (no change in management). I collected them all and sent off a photo looking for free replacements as their quality issues were coming to light in public. No satisfaction or dialogue on the matter at all. General replacement rate is less than satisfactory too compared to the handwritten Allflex tags.

Delighted with the Cormac tag system and two years in, none lost yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Centrepassage

Cormac. Brilliant service. Let sample fall down through slats last Tuesday after tagging calf. Rang up cormac and had replacement tissue tag in post next morning. If you leave a bit of credit in your account it's excellent when you want to replace lost tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭buffalobilly

Avns1s wrote: »

the same applicator but the pin has to be changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I moved to Cormac last year so still haven't had a long enough time with animals having lost them.

I found the Cormac BVD tags poor though. Never had a blank sample with the Mullinahone tags but 5 or 6% with the Cormac.

If they last longer than the Mullinahone, I'll take that hit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

@buford. I was having that problem with cormacs as well. Rang them up and gave out and tbf they sent a guy out to look at the tagger and show me the best way of doing it. At the top of the tissue sample apparently you are supposed to pull that down before tagging. It has worked since but that was at the end of calving season. Some service thou as I couldn't imagine mullinahone doing that!! Also they are v v speedy in getting tags out-makes life a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Switched to cormac tags a couple of yrs ago.haven't had to replace one of their tags since.wouldn't go back to mullinahone tags even if they were free

Heard it said the customer service in mullinahone is worse than the department of agriculture?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Cormac all the way, haven't replaced a cormac tag yet. Very quick to post out tags aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

L1985 wrote: »
    @buford. I was having that problem with cormacs as well. Rang them up and gave out and tbf they sent a guy out to look at the tagger and show me the best way of doing it. At the top of the tissue sample apparently you are supposed to pull that down before tagging. It has worked since but that was at the end of calving season. Some service thou as I couldn't imagine mullinahone doing that!! Also they are v v speedy in getting tags out-makes life a lot easier.
    Thanks for that, I was kinda wondering if it was me or the tagger. It happened during the peak so there wasn't much time for getting things 100% but I'll try to train myself to do it right this year.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Heard it said the customer service in mullinahone is worse than the department of agriculture?

Remember trying to ring mullinahone to order replacement tags yrs ago.an age on the phone waiting to get tru.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Remember trying to ring mullinahone to order replacement tags yrs ago.an age on the phone waiting to get tru.

Then you'd hear someone else's full credit card details in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

L1985 wrote: »

You need to put in the bvd tag with the sample jar 1stly, and then the tag with the cutter (pointy end) 1stly, otherwise you knock off the cutter/lid when your putting in the bvd sampler jar. They do throw in afew extra cutting tips incase you lose them (it's the most finicky part of the Cormac tags and I hope they can improve the design in time). Think I've only had one empty bvd sample with Cormac tho, had maybe 10 with mullinahone the previous year.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Then you'd hear someone else's full credit card details in the background

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭alps

Cormac for sure...the simplicity of the sample is a peach however the applicator is a little bulky and "hides" your view of the calf's ear as you are aiming between the 2 veins.

No tags lost so far...let's see if they deteriorate over time, as the plastic on the mullinahone ones is be coming brittle and snapping on our 10yr+cows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭High bike

Have been using Mullinahone for a few yrs now and no issues with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

There was a similar thread to this not so long ago... I more or less made my mind up to change to Cormac after reading it. High rate of tag loss being my reason to change. But, then I spoke to a lad who does a lot of work around cattle, who is meeting farmers all the time. His opinion was that there was little to choose between Mullinahone and Cormac, and he knew people who changed, and changed back again.......So I don't know......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I stuck with Mullinahone despite the 'faulty' batches, I think every single bvd tag fell out from cows born approx 2011/12, they gave me a credit ok. Never had an empty bvd sample. I reckon their customer service ppl must have been trained by the dept of ag though:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Cormac all the way for me definitely. Whatever about the loss rate which has yet to be proven, the handiness of having the 4 tags stuck together meaning they can't get mixed up or fall on the ground is worth going with them in itself. The other big plus is the sample bottle is automatically sealed and is so much smaller it's cheaper to post (I've put 40 in the bag and it was still less bulky than the mullinahone one was with 10)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Cormac all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

There's one vote for Datamars, out of interest what are they like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I only changed to Cormac this year and have only tagged replacements. Don't know if it my imagination but the tags seem 'sharper' - the cows didn't seem to notice them going in at all. I'm looking forward to tagging the calves in the New Year after reading all the posts here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

KatyMac wrote: »
    I only changed to Cormac this year and have only tagged replacements. Don't know if it my imagination but the tags seem 'sharper' - the cows didn't seem to notice them going in at all. I'm looking forward to tagging the calves in the New Year after reading all the posts here!

Agree fully re the sharper tags.

Advertisement