Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Game Awards 2018 (Boards.ie Version!) - Winners Announced (Post 36)

• 06-12-2018 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭

Time to nominate your favourite games of the year, folks. The first group of categories are now open (the best games on every platform).

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=499

I'll close these and put up the next group (fun) on Monday.

Comments

I don't really understand why retail and download only are separated...?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't really understand why retail and download only are separated...?

While the distinction gets a bit muddled when it comes to pc particularly, the primary (and important!) motive is to ensure smaller games get a look in. Whereas it’d be even more of a nightmare trying to decide what constitutes an ‘indie’ game for example :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just give everything to God of War, and everything VR to Astrobot!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just give everything to God of War, and everything VR to Astrobot!

God of War isn't even the best game this year about Norse mythology.

#fightme

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Because games like Celeste, The Messenger, Return of the Obra Dinn, Into The Breach would get drowned out by games like Octopath, Smash Bros, God of War and Spiderman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks Mr. E, always look forward to these, appreciate you organising it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    God of War isn't even the best game this year about Norse mythology.

#fightme

Ah but it is though! For me anyway, and lots of others also. I've played a lot of amazing games that suit my play style/persona, but every now and again a game leaves a bigger impression on me than anything else before it. Initially, it was Mortal Kombat and it's lore, my first loved game and still fondly in my memory (and tattooed on my arm). Then I fell in love with the Legacy of Kain series, and am still hoping on a reboot/remake now that TR is over.

And now God of War. I loved the originals, issues aside I thoroughly enjoyed the story, as it took me away and wrapped me up in this glorious revenge tail. I don't need hidden meanings, or thought provoking narrative. I just want to be transported out of the real world and into a world created by others. Some games do this, the above games completely hooked me.

God of War didn't just hook me, it enveloped me into this amazing story, beautiful graphics, stunning voice acting and the first game in history where a child was involved and I didn't hate it. It was everything I ever want in a game, and I cannot wait for me.

All subjective of course, but nothing in the past few years or since it released has come close to it imo. I know you play some very different games to me, and have different ideas about what makes a game brilliant in your book. Christ, some of the games you've played I can't even pronounce, let alone have heard of! But God of War has beaten any game I've played in recent memory, and I can only think of 1 upcoming game that may end that, and that's Ghost of Tsushima, and it remains to be seen. #justsayin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah. But la Mulana 2 had Norse mythology and I liked it more :D

God of War was great but I didn't see the 'game of all time' other people saw. Saying that, I thought horizon zero dawn was a load of shyte so what do I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I won't lie... I will mainly watch the show for trailers of new games.

• Advertisement

I won't lie... I will mainly watch the show for trailers of new games.

Wrong thread, you're looking for the other Game Awards who stole their idea off the Boards Game Awards (the awards discussed on this thread). No fancy gala, videos or premiers but then we won't have Fortnite winning any category.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Some day I'll stay up to date with games to take part in these awards.
    Looking through the nominations so far, I haven't played any of them. :o

cutting_edge.png

Next batch up now (the fun stuff).

One new category added this year - Most Anticipated Game for 2019.

Go nominate!

Final group (overall) at the weekend. Voting will be for all of Christmas week.

Bump for the morning crowd. :o

In about 24 hours (about 5 tomorrow), I'm going to close the "Fun" group and put up the "Overall" categories.

If you haven't nominated, please do before it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Thought i'd make that Mortal Kombat reveal a lot less painful

Heh, a lot worse with that "song" choice :rolleyes::pac:

Sorry, my internet was down over the weekend (thanks, Deirdre) :rolleyes:

The final group (Overall) is up now. :)

Let's get some nominations going, guys. The "Overall" category is light at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

Mr E wrote: »
    Let's get some nominations going, guys. The "Overall" category is light at the moment....

Done! :)

Mr E wrote: »

Yes, we need more people to go and vote for God of War! Having a look at the list so far, I think i'm going to have to try Celeste.

• Advertisement

Yes, we need more people to go and vote for God of War! Having a look at the list so far, I think i'm going to have to try Celeste.

Yupp, from nominations so far, I'm trying not getting Celeste yet. I'm hoping it's part of PSN new year sale which is supposed to be starting tomorrow.

Normal years it wouldn't get a look in from me but it's the strongest triple A game this year.

This think it's wildly outclassed by Indie and smaller games this year. It's just been such an amazing year for them.

Celeste will be free in January if you have Xbox live plus thing (not sure of name, same as PS plus). Bolloxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Celeste will be free in January if you have Xbox live plus thing (not sure of name, same as PS plus). Bolloxes!

It's Xbox Live Gold. Remember that son ;)

OK folks, time to vote.

Remember - only vote on the categories that you have played games in. If you don't have an opinion on a category, then don't vote!

The XBox One categories were very light on nominees (2 for retail, none for download), so one of the mods gave me some sensible entries to bulk up the lists there.

http://bit.ly/2s3bSG6

The survey stays open until Sunday at midnight.

I'll be bumping this thread at regular intervals over the next 5 days.

Looks like I REALLY need to play Celeste

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Looks like I REALLY need to play Celeste

I was thinking the same, but I watched a few videos, and it doesn't look like my type of game.

You're missing out. They have an assist mode for wussy gamers who can't handle the difficulty. :pac:

Seriously though, the main game is tricky but manageable. The post-game content is where the real challenge lies. You don't have to play that part at all if you don't want to.

About 2½ days left to vote...

https://bit.ly/2s3bSG6

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was thinking the same, but I watched a few videos, and it doesn't look like my type of game.

It's always good to step out of one's comfort zone :) As Mr E pointed out, Celeste wants you to see the whole game and offers you a plethora of options to help out in that respect. Videos also can't emphasise how good and satisfying the game feels to play.

That and Return of the Obra Dinn (which is astonishingly great) are the two games from last year that would receive my heartiest, unconditional recommendations.

Advertisement