Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Elections May 2019

• 09-12-2018 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

6 months to go and Facebook tells me that many councillors are launching their election campaigns.
    Who is worth voting for?
    Personally think John Cummins does a good job but I will find it hard to vote Fine Gael considering their neglect of Waterford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sadly our political institutions are so defunct now, it's hard to know who to vote for, but people should be free to vote for who they like, and be encouraged to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭invara

My tuppence is that we have good quality leadership at county level.... with huge demonstrable achievements many of which were brave- greenway, Viking triangle, Dungarvan town centre, Winterval, spraoi and festivals etc.... And plenty of similar irons in the fire with the county generating plans around the NQ and airport. These are the things that they have done really well.

Social and enterprise are a bit weaker- housing, arts and entrepreneurship not reaching their potential to my mind, my guess is that these are the trade-offs for having the larger projects. Connection with KK and WX needs to be put on a better footing, with ever more regional/strategic focus. Planning in Dungarvan and Waterford city is good, Tramore continues to be muddled. Our county and regional problems are at the national level where our representation has not been able to get much delivered- local politics taking a more regional approach would help this a fair bit, and those within the party structures should be leading on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Gardner

Claire Cullen Delsol has put her name in the ring for Mary Roche's seat. personally i'd rather see Claire get the seat instead of the God squad (Matt Shanahan)

Gardner wrote:
    Claire Cullen Delsol has put her name in the ring for Mary Roche's seat. personally i'd rather see Claire get the seat instead of the God squad (Matt Shanahan)

Who's is she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

Can anyone tell me the point in voting at all? The people's wishes are not listened to as is evident from the last elections. And with cozy pacts and agreements to ensure that all concerned make the required time frame to receive a pension we are doomed before we start.

Not one single person from any party in this country is worth a vote, going to vote would be an hour of my life I will never get back.

Can anyone tell me the point in voting at all? The people's wishes are not listened to as is evident from the last elections. And with cozy pacts and agreements to ensure that all concerned make the required time frame to receive a pension we are doomed before we start.

Not one single person from any party in this country is worth a vote, going to vote would be an hour of my life I will never get back.

ive debated this long and hard, by not being involved in the democratic process via voting, we aid the demise of democracy itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Who has a list of all these guys names?

Did someone say "bring out the Gimps" :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Quite a few of them are Fianna Fail anyway, and Fianna Fail were generally on the No side nationally. The movement was launched by Jason Murphy from FF and Joe Kelly (Independent).

• Advertisement

People should be comfortable engaging with their local representatives, and the people of Waterford should ideally get the best possible candidates working on their behalf.

One positive aspect of the local elections is that it's broken down by district. You've probably got more in common with your neighbours in your district in whatever part of the city you live in than people who live in Tallow or Lismore. TDs have to cover the whole county and spend most of their time in Dublin, but Councillors are living within your community and should be able to focus on local issues.

So if you live in Hillview and your neighbourhood really want something done about road safety in your area, you can ring up your local rep, who knows they need to get out and support you. Chances are he/she is also living and experiencing the same issues and wants something done about it too.

As an aside, why did Mary Roche resign?

You can add Matt Shanahan to that group if he is elected

Found the list.

The Sh1t list I should call it.

Eamon Quinlan, John O’Leary, Ray Murphy, Michael J. O’Ryan, Tom Cronin, James Tobin (all FF), Liam Brazil, Seanie Power (both FG), Cha O’Neill, Seán Reinhardt, Séamus O’Donnell (all Ind), Pat Fitzgerald (SF) Jason Murphy (FF) and Joe Kelly (Ind)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

Posh dole heads is all they are,about as useful as a chocolate tea pot.a talk shop amongst themselves that gets paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

A bagful of assholes. Too stupid, useless or corrupt to get elected under the banner of even guaranteed vote magnets like FF/FG. So they must serve their time in the local doldrums until they strike lucky and the dirt gets far enough into the past to be forgotten about, as long as they can keep from repeating old mistakes. Real grass roots stuff. Ireland's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Why are you being so defeatist?

Why are you being so defeatist?

I have yet to be convinced otherwise!!!

I have yet to be convinced otherwise!!!

understandable statement, but i still think our involvement in the democratic system via voting is critical to its survival

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Eddie Mulligan has been a good Councillor and I think he would make the best TD for this city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Eddie Mulligan has been a good Councillor and I think he would make the best TD for this city.

Got in as independent though. He wouldn't have even got in local as a Fianna fail rep last time but he waited till elected then announced ge was joining Fianna fail. He does a lot work in fairness

• Advertisement

debok wrote: »
    Got in as independent though. He wouldn't have even got in local as a Fianna fail rep last time but he waited till elected then announced ge was joining Fianna fail. He does a lot work in fairness

career politician no different from the rest. someone who can't be trusted

Gardner wrote: »

Eddie was a Naval Officer before starting his own paint company. I think that closed around the recession, and then he got into politics after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Gardner wrote: »

He's not at it that long though for a career politician. Had paint shop and was in navy.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Eddie was a Naval Officer before starting his own paint company. I think that closed around the recession, and then he got into politics after that.

There was a bit of property development in there also. That didn't end well.

There was a bit of property development in there also. That didn't end well.

Site next to Kearney's butchers?

I don't think many people who were in property then did well. I'm not supporting the guy or anything, but it's probably unfair to call him a career politician.

On another note, politics is a career in itself, and that's why some people are much better at it than others.

debok wrote: »

I rest my case, lied to the people who elected him. People thought they could have confidence in an independent candidate and once the dust settled his true intentions and colours were shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is Jim D’Arcy going to run again?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭curmudgeonly

I rest my case, lied to the people who elected him. People thought they could have confidence in an independent candidate and once the dust settled his true intentions and colours were shown.

You are a politicians dream, mouthy but no intention of ever voting, so guess what they ignore you and your wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I dunno, he makes the right noises and pledges support for people on issues like traffic in Waterford City, 24 7 etc but sure whats to stop him turning against the people like every single politician when they get into power and just sit on their backside and wait for the money to come in- look at Auston Deasy and Brendan Kenneally, did absolutely nothing for the city and they lost their tongue when up in the Dail. Call me cynical but they really are all the same.

• Advertisement

You are a politicians dream, mouthy but no intention of ever voting, so guess what they ignore you and your wishes.

Not mouthy at all, just expressing my dismay and lack of confidence in any of the choice on offer either at a local or national level. I decided not to vote in future elections at the will of the voters is ignored by the candidates once they get elected.

I didn't vote for FG or FF in the last elections but yet they govern the country supported by turn coat independent alliance members who were going to "bring down the government" and threatened resigning etc over issues but yet they still prop up the same failed leadership.

I would love to see a party or candidate that would re-instill confidence and they would certainly have my vote, none of the current other crop such as SF, PBP or whoever they call themselves offer any alternatives so please Mr curmudgeonly; enlighten me as to who can restore my faith in our political system.

Advertisement