Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biggest Band/Artist to ever play Waterford?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

The National coming to ATN Curraghmore next summer got me thinking that we haven't had a lot of big acts playing concerts here (City or County) over the years, not since Fleadh Mor in '93. Plenty in their twilight years or on the way up at Daytripper and various gigs in town, U2 in the Regional before they got big etc. but who were really big in their pomp that played here?

Hard to find 1 source that measures worldwide sales using the same methodology and I know I've left out plenty to be added but I'll start a list anyway, here goes;

Band/Artist Venue/Festival Year Career Record Sales (Net Worth)(edits and additions welcomed) :)

U2 WRTC Canteen/The Showboat 1980 150 Million
    Status Quo South Tramore 2004 118 Million
    Bob Dylan Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 100 Million
    Van Morrission Fleadh Mor Tramore 1993 ? (Net Worth $90M)
    UB40 Daytripper 2017 70 Million
    Calvin Harris The Forum 2010 ? (N.W. $220 Million)
    50 Cent Daytripper 2011 17 Million
    Sister Sledge Daytripper 2018 15 Million
    Madness Daytripper 2013 6 Million+(I think this is UK only, can't find worldwide)
    The National A.T.N. Curraghmore 2019 1-2 Million*

* Not that big record sales to date, but gigging here while still in vogue/hot (in an indy kind of way!)

Sources:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists
    https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-20-biggest-selling-groups-of-all-time-revealed-__2515/
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/50-best-selling-music-artists-all-time-bands-singers-musicians-richest-beatles-a7946531.html
    https://www.celebritynetworth.com/

As I said, it's missing a few but this has the potential to be more divisive than Brexit, The Civil War or Blur Vs Oasis!

The Smiths - The Savoy, or the Regal maybe
    Human League - The Bridge
    The Prodigy - Metroland
    The Pogues - mostly in the Bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Def Leppard- The Bridge (Played here during the Hysteria era, it was a mini club tour to warm up for a world tour)

That flead mhor festival in tramore had a **** load of famous acts going by the poster you see in some places around Waterford. Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis to name a few

realy needed Walsh Park too host concerts as when u look at Kilkenny getting big name acts too play Nowlan Park. Bob Dylan/Neil Young (2019), Rod Stewart (2016), Bruce Springsteen (2013)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Johnny cash, Kris kristoferson played forum.
    David grey has sold lot of albums played here before and after he got big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I remember UB40 played the Butler community centre in the early 90's :eek::eek::eek:

The farm played in the Stonecourt, I think.

Beautiful South played the forum.

Glenn Tilbrook of Squeeze played the Forum solo. He said he googled us before the concert and was amazed Gilbert O'Sullivan was born here before singing Alone Again. Then he sang Val Doonican's Paddy McGinty's goat - brilliant!

The legendary Gilbert O'Sullivan played the piano up in Mt Sion one evening in the 70's, if that counts! I think he has refused to play concerts here though.

I'm sure Val Doonican must have played the Theatre Royal at some stage?

Joan Armatrading played in the Theatre Royal not so long ago too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Def Leppard- The Bridge (Played here during the Hysteria era, it was a mini club tour to warm up for a world tour)

That flead mhor festival in tramore had a **** load of famous acts going by the poster you see in some places around Waterford. Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis to name a few

realy needed Walsh Park too host concerts as when u look at Kilkenny getting big name acts too play Nowlan Park. Bob Dylan/Neil Young (2019), Rod Stewart (2016), Bruce Springsteen (2013)

It was Halfway House/Kate Reilly's August 1986 and I know cos I was there :)

Human League played The Bridge in 1985 so after their UK peak but before they had their only American no 1 "Human" so they were biggish!

• Advertisement

It was Halfway House/Kate Reilly's August 1986 and I know cos I was there :)

always thought it was the Bridge hotel Def Leppard played but obv I was wrong

Here's a good read up about it I just found

http://www.deflepparduk.com/2016newsnov184.html

Amazing how much live music was different in the old days. It would unthinkable now too see well known band's playing small venues

Music Moves were er instrumental in getting acts to Waterford - The Smiths was their breakthrough act if I recall playing at the old Savoy cinema.

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/wiki/Waterford,_Ireland_1984-11-11_(The_Smiths_concert)

I'll bet someone who knows MM is reading this so please post, it was heady days in 1984/5/6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

jimbojazz wrote: »
    The Smiths - The Savoy, or the Regal maybe
    Human League - The Bridge
    The Prodigy - Metroland
    The Pogues - mostly in the Bridge

Carl Cox was on before them if i remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Here's an oldie for you

Mungo Jerry played in Tramore

:D

Was it in the summertime?

• Advertisement

Was it in the summertime?

A very very wet bank holiday weekend :D ...... so I guess yes ...... and I think it was shortly after that song made it big, but not certain.

Been trying to remember the name of the venue .... The Atlantic Ballroom I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Didn't Weller play South? And Fatboy Slim? Babyshambles and Mercury Rev and Ian Brown played Electric Avenue/Ten/Theatre Royal. The Thrills, Ocean Colour Scene, scissor Sisters, Calvin Harris all played The Forum I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

South was some venue in fairness. Was sad to see it go. Violent Femmes played there too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

engiweirdo wrote: »
    South was some venue in fairness. Was sad to see it go. Violent Femmes played there too I think.

As is always with tramore, fantastic place to go out for the day drinking and watching/listening to music......pain in the hole to get back from!

Didn't Weller play South? And Fatboy Slim? Babyshambles and Mercury Rev and Ian Brown played Electric Avenue/Ten/Theatre Royal. The Thrills, Ocean Colour Scene, scissor Sisters, Calvin Harris all played The Forum I'm sure.

Paul Oakenfold played the opening night in South and it was some night really great venue at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

Carl Cox was on before them if i remember correctly

Think it was the fourth dimension.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

[QUOTE=PTH2009;108874787

Amazing how much live music was different in the old days. It would unthinkable now too see well known band's playing small venues[/QUOTE]

It was the done thing before the advent of the internet that quite big English acts would do a small low key tour of Ireland to try out new material before they do a larger English tour.
    The English audience wouldn't hear of anything as no uk journalists would be invited or even bother to cross the pond.
    Record companies would fund these shows so it wouldn't cost the Irish promoter too much and most shows were just treated as a live rehearsal.

Manic street preachers played in the Mansion and snow patrol played in the kings,both before they made in big and both to a audience of about thirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

Vince power and a few locals had south in tramore,some brilliant bands and dj’s played there in its short time,a huge shame that it closed down as it brought great weekends to tramore.paul okenfold,Paul Weller,status quo,the water boys,Mauro picotto,John digweed,the stranglers to name a few.both Waterford and tramore could do with a place like that again.

Possibly the weirdest promotional tour was for Zeno who about three people will have heard of.

http://klassickerranginterviews.weebly.com/zeno---march-1986.html

south wrote: »
    Think it was the fourth dimension.

Now there's a blast from the past :eek: ,i used to collect flyers and i can vaguely remember that one, i think you're right it was the 4th dimension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

James played Daytripper a couple of years ago.

James played Daytripper a couple of years ago.

They also were the support act for The Smiths in The Savoy

I was very young at the time but I vaguely remember Thin Lizzy played in the Regina cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Not sure on that but Phil lynott played in the savoy in one of his first solo gigs.

The Ard Rí hosted quie a few bands in its day ...... Skid Row comes to mind (Brush Shiels etc.) ...... am unsure if Gary Moore was with them that night. Also had Colm Wilkinson before he went on to musical success in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheGom

Haven't seen these mentioned.

The Housemartins, the Bridge.

Howard Jones, butlers community.

Bad Manners, the Savoy.

Was the butlers community centre big or something back in the day ?

TheGom wrote: »
    Haven't seen these mentioned.

The Housemartins, the Bridge.

Howard Jones, butlers community.

Bad Manners, the Savoy.

I was at that Bad Manners one, I’d say there was less than 100 at it, but I won the raffle to meet them back atage.

Let’s just say they weren’t in the best of condition but Buster was a decent enough lad. They were staying in the Maryland and he walked down with me and my mates after the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Queen played T. H Doolans before everyone liked them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Ash played preachers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Queen played T. H Doolans before everyone liked them

No way?

Advertisement