Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Obtaining a abandond car

Options
  • 09-12-2018 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I walk every week along my local contry road, i pass this abonded house on the route I go, its a small home and hasn't been used in 10 plus years, today I decided to walk around and have a look, to the side of the house theres an old horse shed, i took a peek and saw a rover sd1, it looks like its veen laid up for a long time too but looks spotless, i was woundering if theres anything I can do to claim it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

The first thing that comes to my mind is to ask around the local area and see if anyone knows who owns the house and perhaps has contact details for the owner or any relatives and then if you are lucky. Hope that they are willing to speak to you and willing to sell the car.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Often places like this are abandoned due to legal issues in sorting out ownership after the last owner died. That said you should ask the neighbours who is in charge or is looking after the estate. A guy I know once offered to clear out an old barn and found an old sports car behind old furniture and bales, the man he did the job for told him he could take it away free. Once serviced etc he used it as a daily driver for several years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I dont think you can lay claim to anyone elses property to be honest:rolleyes:, so tread carefully in your enquiries, you might be lucky

Reminds me of this:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Just pull it out and bring it home before its too late...:)..does it have a plate..??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Vwmaaad1 wrote:
    I walk every week along my local contry road, i pass this abonded house on the route I go, its a small home and hasn't been used in 10 plus years, today I decided to walk around and have a look, to the side of the house theres an old horse shed, i took a peek and saw a rover sd1, it looks like its veen laid up for a long time too but looks spotless, i was woundering if theres anything I can do to claim it?

Did you get any pics, it's been years since I saw a spotless SD1..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Please bear in mind that you have trespassed on someone's property to "find" this car.
    They may not be very happy with you.

elperello wrote: »
    Please bear in mind that you have trespassed on someone's property to "find" this car.
    They may not be very happy with you.

He might have been delivering leaflets....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

is an old horse shed a shed for an old horse or is it an old shed? I need to know.

ask the neighbours (see what I did there?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Land Registry Office can be used to find out who owns the property as it is a requirement in most counties to register property there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Vwmaaad1 wrote: »

Echoing other posters thoughts, try find the owner of the property and asking if the vehicle is for sale.

I can see any other way to 'claim' a car that belongs/belonged to somebody else.

I have vehicles in sheds for many years and if someone tried to 'claim' those, I'd consider it theft in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

elperello wrote:
    Please bear in mind that you have trespassed on someone's property to "find" this car. They may not be very happy with you.

The OP's gone quiet. Maybe the owner of the Rover caught him snooping..

tedpan wrote: »
    The OP's gone quiet. Maybe the owner of the Rover caught him snooping..

Maybe locked up for that speeding incident..........:P

Advertisement