Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Initial class 1 medical

• 11-12-2018 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm planning on going the modular route to atpl starting early next year.
    I've been in touch with the mater and the earliest date they have for an initial class 1 medical is March 2019.

Will I save time/money flying somewhere for the day to do a medical?

I'm a little bit worried if I start training in Jan and I'm unable to pass a class 1 that I am wasting money

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Wills21 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm planning on going the modular route to atpl starting early next year.
    I've been in touch with the mater and the earliest date they have for an initial class 1 medical is March 2019.

Will I save time/money flying somewhere for the day to do a medical?

I'm a little bit worried if I start training in Jan and I'm unable to pass a class 1 that I am wasting money

Thanks in advance

Talk to charter medical in Smithfield. Ask to be put on a cancellation list and you will hopefully get something soon. I would be surprised if you get anything within 3-4 weeks to be honest.

You are also entitled to claim 20% of the medical fees back so keep the receipt just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

+1 for Charter Medical

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Wills21

Negative_G wrote: »
    Talk to charter medical in Smithfield. Ask to be put on a cancellation list and you will hopefully get something soon. I would be surprised if you get anything within 3-4 weeks to be honest.

You are also entitled to claim 20% of the medical fees back so keep the receipt just in case.

Booked for this coming Thursday, thanks guys

Glad to hear it.

They are a great bunch in there, very well run setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

How much was it?

• Advertisement

How much was it?

€480 I think, haven't paid yet

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

I had to do a full Class 1 initial medical recently. I'd held one since 1998, but since I'd been working abroad since 2009 and let it expire by more than 5 years 364 days, I had to do a full initial again.
    Booked into the Mater at 8am, walked out with the certificate in my hand by 1300.
    Dr Dominic.

€480 I think, haven't paid yet

Paid less than 300

Brennus335 wrote: »
    Paid less than 300

Where was that?

Sorry completely missed that it was the same person commenting twice

• Advertisement

Paid less than 300

I find this extremely difficult to believe.

Are you working for a company who subsidises the costs through the Mater? If you walk in off the street as an normal citizen there is no way that you can do a full class 1 initial medical for less than €300.

Ill follow it up myself tomorrow with a phone call.

FWIW, the Mater were more than happy to gouge as much as they could for a long time due to a monopoly. They were well over €600 for a class 1 initial only a few years ago.

When charter medical started operating with much more reasonable prices. The Maters prices dropped overnight. I would avoid for this reason alone.

Mater are changing €450 for an full class 1 initial so as I suspected, the above poster is providing false information.

Mater are changing €450 for an full class 1 initial so as I suspected, the above poster is providing false information.

Thanks for that! I'm heading into charter medical tomorrow.

Do you have any idea how bad my eyes will be after the eye exam? They emailed me and said they might be blurry for a few hours afterwards are don't recommend driving

Do you have any idea how bad my eyes will be after the eye exam? They emailed me and said they might be blurry for a few hours afterwards are don't recommend driving

The Opthalmology exam is quite thorough.

I did find my eyes a little more sensitive to the light outside after the exam was finished but nothing bad enough to stop me from driving. No harm bringing a pair of sunglasses.

I'm not a medical professional so these things may affect people differently. Perhaps have an alternate plan on getting home if possible. There is a spar next door with plenty of seating that you can use for lunch before hitting the road.

The Opthalmology exam is quite thorough.

I did find my eyes a little more sensitive to the light outside after the exam was finished but nothing bad enough to stop me from driving. No harm bringing a pair of sunglasses.

I'm not a medical professional so these things may affect people differently. Perhaps have an alternate plan on getting home if possible. There is a spar next door with plenty of seating that you can use for lunch before hitting the road.

Thanks for your help

Thanks for your help

No problem, best of luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

They’ll put drops in your eyes that cause your pupils to dilate (so that they can get a good look at your retina) - so they won’t be able to react at all to light. Your pupils normally constrict in light conditions, and also to focus, so you’ll be sensitive to light and things will be a bit blurry. It usually lasts 4-6 hours, and I’d be wary of driving, particularly if conditions are poor.

Passed with flying colours, thanks again guys

Great stuff congrats.

As I said you can claim tax relief against the cost today which should get you about 20% back. You will have to wait until 2019 to claim it however.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax_credits_and_reliefs/taxation_and_medical_expenses.html

There is no requirement to submit any receipts through the ROS website but you are required to keep them in the event that you are requested to produce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

Wills21, DS had his initial class 1 with Charter medical on the 30th jan, long day but at each stage was told everything was fine, was told would have to wait a week for the blood and urine results to come back, so waited the week, sent an email to be told its actually a 2 week wait, its 3 weeks tomorrow and still nothing as they have to wait for a doctor to come in !! how long did it actually take you to get the cert into your hand may I ask ?he's going to have to drop in and see what the heck is going on !

• Advertisement

horsey63 wrote: »
    Wills21, DS had his initial class 1 with Charter medical on the 30th jan, long day but at each stage was told everything was fine, was told would have to wait a week for the blood and urine results to come back, so waited the week, sent an email to be told its actually a 2 week wait, its 3 weeks tomorrow and still nothing as they have to wait for a doctor to come in !! how long did it actually take you to get the cert into your hand may I ask ?he's going to have to drop in and see what the heck is going on !

With my nitial at the Mater (only initial due to letting it expire for a long time), I had the blood results the same day. Appointment at 8am, walked out at 12pm with the cert in my hand.

With my nitial at the Mater (only initial due to letting it expire for a long time), I had the blood results the same day. Appointment at 8am, walked out at 12pm with the cert in my hand.

Any explanation as to why you claimed your initial cost "less than €300" despite them giving a quote of €450 to me when I contacted them directly.

Clarification would be great as what you claimed is not correct according the Mater hospital.

Advertisement