Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 preseason tournaments

• 08-12-2018 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭

These get underway today with the start of the O Byrne cup. The Dubs have a bye into the semi-final and skip the group stage entirely.

Today
    Longford v Wicklow
    Laois v meath
    Louth v Wexford
    Tomorrow
    Carlow v westmeath

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

About f*ckin time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Grumble...grumble...grumble...loves all the O'Byrne Cup trips to sunny, sub tropical Portarlington, Enniscorthy & Longford, so I do, so I do....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Walsh cup tomorrow as well. Offaly v laois

KevIRL wrote: »
    These get underway today with the start of the O Byrne cup. The Dubs have a bye into the semi-final and skip the group stage entirely.

Today
    Longford v Wicklow
    Laois v meath
    Louth v Wexford
    Tomorrow
    Carlow v westmeath

Wins for Meath, Wexford and Longford

• Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Wete the new rules in play ?

Did anyone see them happen live ?

• Advertisement

Wete the new rules in play ?

Did anyone see them happen live ?

Colm Parkinson was tweeting from the Laois OBC game yesterday. He seems to be a fan of the new hand pass rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

T-Bird wrote:
    Not quite true. It is illegal to drive on a hard shoulder on a motorway or on an unbroken yellow line on an N road.

KevIRL wrote:

That'll be a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

how does the O'Byrne cup structure work? Louth and Wex are in separate groups, do they get points anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Colm Parkinson was tweeting from the Laois OBC game yesterday. He seems to be a fan of the new hand pass rule.
    I seen the "new hand pass" in action a few years ago in underage preseason tournaments. It caused confusion to already confused officials and players became very frustrated by it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I seen the "new hand pass" in action a few years ago in underage preseason tournaments. It caused confusion to already confused officials and players became very frustrated by it all.

It's a terrible rule. Saw it in action over the weekend and it slows the game down so much. Players just turn around and kick the ball backwards to be safe. Or else you get stupid foot passes a few feet across or slightly backwards.
    Westmeath put together 2 lovely moves and were in on goal at one stage but got blown up for a 4th handpass. It was the natural obvious way for the player to pass it. No other way he could have got the ball through to the free man.
    Ruins the game for me. The other rules seem ok, the mark only happened a couple of times in our game. The sideline kick forward wasn't even noticeable.

The handpass rule must be done away with before the League starts.

I see the Wicklow manager and a Longford player complaining about it today. Also the Carlow manager is very against it.

Here is the Carlow coach Steven Poacher talking about it after the weekends game: https://kclrfanzone.com/audio-steven-poacher-chats-obyrne-cup-and-rule-changes/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Stevecw wrote: »
    It's a terrible rule. Saw it in action over the weekend and it slows the game down so much. Players just turn around and kick the ball backwards to be safe. Or else you get stupid foot passes a few feet across or slightly backwards.
    Westmeath put together 2 lovely moves and were in on goal at one stage but got blown up for a 4th handpass. It was the natural obvious way for the player to pass it. No other way he could have got the ball through to the free man.
    Ruins the game for me. The other rules seem ok, the mark only happened a couple of times in our game. The sideline kick forward wasn't even noticeable.

The handpass rule must be done away with before the League starts.

I see the Wicklow manager and a Longford player complaining about it today. Also the Carlow manager is very against it.

Here is the Carlow coach Steven Poacher talking about it after the weekends game: https://kclrfanzone.com/audio-steven-poacher-chats-obyrne-cup-and-rule-changes/

I hope it is but i feel those at HQ are too stubborn to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Why are these games being played in December?

Over 3500 at the tipp limerick Munster league game last night. Tipp won

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The handpass rule was in play underage around 1996 when i was playing football for the first time, caused no issues what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Looking at pics of the Munster hurling league game tonight with Kerry & Limerick, why were they both playing in green?! Very difficult to distinguish between the sides, and on a rainy night like that it must have been worse at the game.
    Surely one of them should have worn their 2nd jersey.

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1812102/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are wexford, Kilkenny and Galway not in any pre season hurling tournaments this year ?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Are wexford, Kilkenny and Galway not in any pre season hurling tournaments this year ?

Yeah, they are. They all have an automatic BYE into the semi finals of the Walsh Cup. The final 2 games of the round robin series next weekend, will determine who tops the group & they will be the 4th county into the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Walsh semi finals are next Sunday 13th:

Wexford v Stripey lads in Wexford

Dublin v Galway in Parnell.

Dublin have had good enough start under Kenny with three wins from three and over 30 players playing at some stage. Backs looking solid and bit of process of elimination going on in forwards I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Anyone know why the Walsh cup final is now on Saturday as opposed to Sunday?

There were a few counties mentioning the demands on a lot of players due to their also playing Fitzgibbon and Sigerson so might be that?

Pity the pre-season competitions are being downgraded as there were big crowds at McKenna, Galway/Mayo, Dublin/Meath and Dublin/Galway.

Apart from their being good chance to see new faces they bring in a pile of money for the fund. Dubs/Meath must have been close to a 100k gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

There was 6,500 in tuam stadium last Sunday for the Galway Mayo match - some crowd for a pre season tournament match tbh.

Brian Cody was in the independent today complaining about the crazy amount of games third level senior inter county players will face over the next few weeks - something like 5 games in about 2 weeks. Crazy stuff imo

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

KevIRL wrote:

Laois will have no problem there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Bonniedog wrote: »
    There were a few counties mentioning the demands on a lot of players due to their also playing Fitzgibbon and Sigerson so might be that?

Pity the pre-season competitions are being downgraded as there were big crowds at McKenna, Galway/Mayo, Dublin/Meath and Dublin/Galway.

Apart from their being good chance to see new faces they bring in a pile of money for the fund. Dubs/Meath must have been close to a 100k gate.

I think it has actually been to their benefit that they have been down graded.

In the FBD for example you only have the county teams.

This has resulted in a much more straightforward competition, play on consecutive Sundays with no messing with mid week games, players playing for their college against their county etc.

And I think the crowds reflect that

Perhaps. Was not so much thinking of most college teams (still in McKenna) not being in, which is good thing; more that likes of Galway and Kilkenny hurlers and Dublin footballers get byes.

But you may be right in it creating more of interest and certainly crowds seem to be up in games played last weekend and expect big crowds for the finals.

Advertisement