Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daredevil [Netflix/Disney - Spoilers]

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've heard that Disney will be creating their own Marvel content, talk of Loki getting his own show.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd say once JJ and Punisher are done we'll only be seeing Marvel shows closer in tone to Agents of Shield/Runaways/Cloak and Dagger etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly, I'd be very surprised if any of the Netflix stable gets rebooted into the Disney platform; they ploughed their own field and the adult, mature themes just don't strike as being where Disney is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

So, assuming that Disney are pulling these shows from Netflix for their own platform, I wonder what will happen to the existing actors/crew? Were they tied to their shows or were they tied to Netflix. Would be strange to see others in the role on Disney.

I think it’s more likely that Netflix will pull the shows as they don’t want to spend money promoting a competitors IP, which is what I’m guessing is the same reasons these shows got canned.

It’s hard to know what the future holds for these shows. It would be great if DisneyFlix just migrated everyone over to their platform and start creating new content with the same group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I suppose so. Yeah, I suppose they just want control of their IP in the event that they want to use them within their other shows. Yeah, I certainly can't see Daredevil or, especially, the punisher on their platform but they certainly will want control of the characters and their related characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Found this article on CBR over the weekend stating that none of the Netflix shows will move to Disney+. All the Disney shows will have MCU directors as producers and there was a huge disconnect between the Netflix shows and the MCU films.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Daredevil was pretty much the only Marvel Stuff I enjoyed, maybe bar some X-Men stuff. Guess that's me done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I'm disgusted as they clearly had a 4th season planned with Bullseye. :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Netflix stable of shows always struggled to place itself within the broader MCU universe. Agents of SHIELD had its own problems, but at least name-dropped important figures & events (such as Thanos, most recently) to keep a sense of it being within the MCU, even if Captain America was always conveniently elsewhere.

Yet on the other hand, I don't think any Netflix show actually ever explicitly mentioned characters or events from the MCU, and even the 'Battle of New York' was ambiguously demoted to 'The Incident'. Whether that was contractually mandated pressure to avoid crossover, or the writers felt linking the cosmic epicness lessened the impact of their own drama. I can sorta see both sides: Jessica Jones' first season of rape survival, addiction and toxic relationships might have been undermined against the backdrop of a Chitari skeleton lying on an apartment block.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Here's hoping Daredevil at least can be scooped up and ported as is to Disney's service even if it takes 2 years couldn't imagine a reboot without these actors. Luke Cage Jessica Jones and Iron Fist could all have grungier stories on the service too Punisher as it was though.

Epic curve ball would be these characters incorporated into the very possible MCU reboot but that would waste the potential of Daredevil and Punisher for all out small screen havoc they both do so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Disney+ is only family friendly so Daredevil wouldn't fit into this and The Punisher is a hard no.

Disney are making a mess off this. Pixar is not as good, Star Wars is a mess and now they are trying to do the same to Marvel. Don't they understand the reason Marvel is sooo good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Disney buying Fox these shows could end up on Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Disney buying Fox these shows could end up on Fox
    No they absolutely can not. Disney is not buying the actual FOX channel. They already own ABC, they can't own two American Network channels.

So it can be on ABC along with Agent's if Shield then

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm not 100% sure how a "watershed" works over there considering how 9pm on one coast is 6pm on the other but in any case the Defenders stable of series is too dark for ABC.
    The most likely new home would be a channel owned by ABC called Freeform which currently airs Cloak and Dagger, a series which makes reference to Misty Knight and Danny Rand. C&D isn't as dark as the Defenders but close enough in tone that they could make it work.

Do Netflix have some sort of copyright of the way they created the show or seeing as they have cancelled it can the cast continue the story line on ABC as it currently stands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Do Netflix have some sort of copyright of the way they created the show or seeing as they have cancelled it can the cast continue the story line on ABC as it currently stands?

God no.

God no.

Not of the characters but of how the show was made? I take it these have been advertised as Netflix original series. Can another tv station pick up the same cast and theme and run with season 4 of Daredevil?

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Not of the characters but of how the show was made? I take it these have been advertised as Netflix original series. Can another tv station pick up the same cast and theme and run with season 4 of Daredevil?

Netflix are very loose with their 'original' definition at the best of times. You can be assured all intellectual property remained with Marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They are netflix original in the sense that netflix funded them and all. Not like the netflix originals like Riverdale which they just air over here. Unless they partially fund them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I doubt we will see a returning cast over with Disney, if we do, the show will be diluted with PC and PG-6 and it wont be anywhere as near as good as it was... :(:pac:

Finished up last night, and based on comments from the showrunners it sounded like they were unaware Daredevil was to be canceled; with that in mind, it's coincidental then that last episode felt distinctly like a series finale.

As is typical, it's another Marvel-Netflix show that can't quite stick the landing (but still nowhere near as awful as Season 2); it was a bit of a mess, confusing at times in the manner of the writers trying to wrap everything up as quick as possible. The big fight just wasn't anywhere as good as previous ones either - though nothing was ever going to top the Prison Sequence.

But hey, often it's the journey not the destination and Season 3 of Daredevil was the show's best run: all the narrative garbage that wasn't working got jettisoned; the pacing tightened up and felt vigorous; Matt felt sympathetic in his plight rather than a whiny edgelord and that was all down to Charlie Cox's performances; Sister Maggy was a great addition.

Do I hope there's a season 4? Meh, I dunno. 3 seasons and a happy, contented ending is not a bad haul and more often than not 'going back' never quite recaptures the charisma of that first run.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

nix wrote: »
    I doubt we will see a returning cast over with Disney, if we do, the show will be diluted with PC and PG-6 and it wont be anywhere as near as good as it was... :(:pac:

Charlie Cox has said that he'd play the character again no problem

https://tvline.com/2018/12/06/daredevil-cancelled-charlie-cox-netflix/

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Charlie Cox has said that he'd happily take Disney's money no problem

[URL="https://"][/URL]

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Charlie Cox has said that he'd play the character again no problem

https://tvline.com/2018/12/06/daredevil-cancelled-charlie-cox-netflix/

oh im not saying the original cast wouldnt do it if offered, i just very much doubt Marvel/disney themselves will want to continue it. They will want to do their own spin on it if anything, which will be a family friendly version.

Heck, considering the amount of marvel characters they can choose from, id be surprised if we see a Daredevil show/movie anytime soon :(

But at the end of the day, what the feck do i know? :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

It’s very simple. In its current format, there’s simply no platform for it and Disney would never pay anything near the money that Netflix threw at this, especially in its current R rated format. Unfortunately I don’t think we’ll ever see any of these actors return to these roles.

Maybe something will happen in avengers4 that resets the MCU timeline and allows some of the bigger players like Daredevil, Bullseye and Kingpin to be reintroduced in a more Disney friendly manor, but as far as the MCU that Netflix created... I think it’s gone, but at least we got closure on DD. That’s something, right?

Netflix was the perfect partner for the more grungy themed Marvel content, I think Disney really screwed the pooch on this one. They tried to play hardball with Netflix and it backfired. Now they have all these awesome characters like DD, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Punisher; Blade, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider etc, and have nowhere to put them. Not that Disney will actually care, they are practically printing money at this point, so the only ones that really suffer here are the fans, and as a fan, I’m p*ssed... and I’m p*ssed at Disney. They’ve done a few things that have annoyed over the last year, and heck, at this point I’d almost be happy to see the whole MCU crumble, with the exception of AoS of course :D

kerplun k wrote: »
    It’s very simple. In its current format, there’s simply no platform for it and Disney would never pay anything near the money that Netflix threw at this, especially in its current R rated format. Unfortunately I don’t think we’ll ever see any of these actors return to these roles.

Maybe something will happen in avengers4 that resets the MCU timeline and allows some of the bigger players like Daredevil, Bullseye and Kingpin to be reintroduced in a more Disney friendly manor, but as far as the MCU that Netflix created... I think it’s gone, but at least we got closure on DD. That’s something, right?

Netflix was the perfect partner for the more grungy themed Marvel content, I think Disney really screwed the pooch on this one. They tried to play hardball with Netflix and it backfired. Now they have all these awesome characters like DD, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Punisher; Blade, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider etc, and have nowhere to put them. Not that Disney will actually care, they are practically printing money at this point, so the only ones that really suffer here are the fans, and as a fan, I’m p*ssed... and I’m p*ssed at Disney. They’ve done a few things that have annoyed over the last year, and heck, at this point I’d almost be happy to see the whole MCU crumble, with the exception of AoS of course :D

There would have been closure if they didn't show Bullseye at the end! And Cox said in the interview there were discussing ideas for season 4.

So knowing that, I HAVE NO CLOSURE! :mad::(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Arcsurvivor

Its a shame they cancelled the show. It seems like Disney has future plans for the hero.

And Netflix have in the contract that cant be used in TV or movies for 2 years after cancellation.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Nooooooooooooooo

• Advertisement

Here's a bizarre one worth bumping for: the Emmy nominations were released, and to the surprise of many the 'one take' Prison Fight sequence from season 3 of Daredevil wasn't in the list for 'Outstanding Stunt Coordination...'. The reason? The scene was too long, and the Academy only allow a 3 minute clip to be submitted":

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/daredevil-hallway-fight-emmy/

Advertisement