Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRFU Supporters Club tickets ballot - were you lucky or not?

• 10-12-2018 2:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Okay, this will be a very unscientific poll, but just to hopefully get some idea of what proportion of IRFU Supporters Club members were successful in the ballot for Six Nations tickets....

Please note the poll refers to IRFU Supporters Club members only, and NOT Munster Supporters Club, Leinster Supporters Club, or anything else.

Thanks for voting!

Were you offered tickets in the Supporters Club ballot for Six Nations tickets? 20 votes

Yes
    50% 10 votes
    No
    50% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nope not successful

Prob going to be this system for all major games in the future (France , England, Wales, Scotland at home and in the AI New Zealand, Austrailia and South Africa). Sales for Italy, Arg and tier 2 nations

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Nope not successful

Prob going to be this system for all major games in the future (France , England, Wales, Scotland at home and in the AI New Zealand, Austrailia and South Africa). Sales for Italy, Arg and tier 2 nations
    All the while cleaning up at 50 euro a membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Duffryman wrote: »
    Okay, this will be a very unscientific poll, but just to hopefully get some idea of what proportion of Supporters Club members were successful in the ballot for Six Nations tickets....

Just a small point, should probably clearly state this is for the IRFU supports club as some people might think it's all supporter clubs (ie IRFU, MRSC etc)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Done. Thanks. :)

• PTH2009 wrote: »
    Nope not successful

wtf...

I was considering joining as I don't even try to Ireland tickets. I thought paying 50 quid would give you a 100% window of opportunity. What a scam. No wonder the atmosphere in the aviva is ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I answered yes to the poll before it was updated so my response is incorrect. I got my tickets through the Leinster season ticket holders Lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Nope not successful

wtf...

I was considering joining as I don't even try to Ireland tickets. I thought paying 50 quid would give you a 100% window of opportunity. What a scam. No wonder the atmosphere in the aviva is ****e.
    I don't think it's a scam. I've been a member for the last 3 or 4 years and got tickets for games I'd never get otherwise. The international and provincial game has never been stronger so demand has never been higher. In years when there's only 2 home Six Nations games tickets will be hard to come by. Most go to corporate gigs and then the clubs. The Supporters Club gets whatever is left.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Member of supporters club going on ten years. No luck this time. First time to miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

wtf...

This has nothing to do with atmosphere in Aviva and isnt a scam.
    Clegg wrote: »
    I don't think it's a scam. I've been a member for the last 3 or 4 years and got tickets for games I'd never get otherwise. The international and provincial game has never been stronger so demand has never been higher. In years when there's only 2 home Six Nations games tickets will be hard to come by. Most go to corporate gigs and then the clubs. The Supporters Club gets whatever is left.
    Wouldnt say most go to corporate gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

More a case of caveat emptor due to an intentionally vague process. Looking at the poll numbers I won't be renewing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Not successful either and very disappointed, been a member of the IRFU supporters club for years and rarely missed a home 6 nations match in the last 12 years.

Great to see the support rising, but it is a tad frustrating :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Not successful x2 members

First game missed since first games in Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

When you change a long-standing process without informing anyone in advance but still taking their money in advance, it's - at best - very, very poor practice.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

When you change a long-standing process without informing anyone in advance but still taking their money in advance, it's - at best - very, very poor practice.

This is it exactly. The old system was log on and 10am and cross your fingers, if you missed out at least you felt you’d a chance. To suddenly change it with a few days notice to something that could work on a episode of Father Ted (they couldn’t even get the correspondence right), stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Not successful either and very disappointed, been a member of the IRFU supporters club for years and rarely missed a home 6 nations match in the last 12 years.

Great to see the support rising, but it is a tad frustrating :P

me, too. I'm very disappointed. Have just sent an email to Philip Browne to that effect. I encourage everyone else to do the same. What else can we do?

I fail to understand what has changed. There are still the same number of seats in the stadium. One can only surmise some tickets have been diverted in another direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭big dan

First time not getting tickets with the IRFU supporters club since joining over 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

No joy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Slasher wrote: »
    me, too. I'm very disappointed. Have just sent an email to Philip Browne to that effect. I encourage everyone else to do the same. What else can we do?

I fail to understand what has changed. There are still the same number of seats in the stadium. One can only surmise some tickets have been diverted in another direction.

Lads I think a lot of ye aren’t getting the whole supply and demand thing. I for one know of a lot more people that have joined the club in the past year or two especially with the team doing well. More members same amount of tickets is obviously going to increase demand and make it harder to get tickets. I wouldn’t say it’s a case of tickets being diverted in another direction

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Kevski

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Lads I think a lot of ye aren’t getting the whole supply and demand thing. I for one know of a lot more people that have joined the club in the past year or two especially with the team doing well. More members same amount of tickets is obviously going to increase demand and make it harder to get tickets. I wouldn’t say it’s a case of tickets being diverted in another direction

The reason people are annoyed is because of how the whole thing has been handled. Everyone signed up based on how the tickets have been made available up to 2018 6 Nations - i.e. everyone with a membership got a code that gives them access to the sale. Now for the 2019 6 Nations, without any prior notice or indication that there was to be a change, they’ve changed it so that only some people get a code to get access to the sale. They can wrap it up however they like but going from all members having access to only some members having access isn’t the fairest way of doing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It has been handled very well. Pre ballot, it was most inconvenient and a mayhem scramble for tickets. I surely remember comments here saying just that, and asking why could there not be a ballot. It still means the same % of people get tickets. Definitely a better system this time round.

• Advertisement

Right, as the one who put up the poll here, I think it's safe to say that the results speak for themselves.

Five say they got tickets, 52 didn't, and one of those five says he shouldn't be counted at all, since his tickets actually came through the Leinster ballot instead. So, the real result is four lucky, 52 unlucky - or 13 people who missed out for every one who got lucky.

Again, this is a very unscientific poll, but I certainly don't like those odds for any future ballot.

Personally, I've been paying into the Supporters Club for the last five years, and never missed out before - I was always able to get tickets for a 6N game or an Autumns International game, so long as I was online and ready to pounce at 10 a.m. on the day of the sales. Was even given two tickets for the recent All Blacks match (even if they were Category 4, right up in the high heavens - but I didn't mind, because at least we were there).

I understand all the supply and demand arguments, how clubs need to be looked after, and even (up to a point) the corporate thing - but I'm still not impressed with how the routine was suddenly changed this time round, and how they're point blank refusing to reveal how many names were in the hat for how many tickets.

Have to ask myself now if a keyring, a car air freshener, and an occasional email newsletter is really worth it if I decide to keep paying €50 per year. Think I know what the answer will be......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,598 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I think there's a couple of issues at play. I don't know if there are fewer tickets available this year but I think people not giving the chance to get tickets creates the perception that there are fewer tickets this year. And if there's fewer then you'd have to wonder where these tickets are being allocated instead.

The other is the way the ballot was conducted. I'm not sure why even with a random draw, people weren't obliged to opt in and then opt in for specific matches.

Then I suppose, questions arise about fairness of random draw. Is it better to give everyone a minuscule chance say or give preference to those in the club for the longest.

Then finally, the issue of transparency. I don't think it's clear how many members there are and how many tickets are available. I don't think this will be ever revealed but if people feel there's a very slim chance of getting tickets then there's no real incentive to be a member. I know that being a member of the club didn't guarantee tickets but all issues above aren't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Eod100 wrote: »
    I think there's a couple of issues at play. I don't know if there are fewer tickets available this year but I think people not giving the chance to get tickets creates the perception that there are fewer tickets this year. And if there's fewer then you'd have to wonder where these tickets are being allocated instead.

The other is the way the ballot was conducted. I'm not sure why even with a random draw, people weren't obliged to opt in and then opt in for specific matches.

Then I suppose, questions arise about fairness of random draw. Is it better to give everyone a minuscule chance say or give preference to those in the club for the longest.

Then finally, the issue of transparency. I don't think it's clear how many members there are and how many tickets are available. I don't think this will be ever revealed but if people feel there's a very slim chance of getting tickets then there's no real incentive to be a member. I know that being a member of the club didn't guarantee tickets but all issues above aren't ideal.

at the end of the day the supporters club is a bit of a scroungers club (myself included!) that only exists to get access to tickets. Up to this year it was a very handy way of getting access to face value tickets that were selling for many multiples on the open market. In the current climate for rugby Im surprised that the IRFU are bothered keeping it running especially for 50 quid a head.

I think asking for the IRFU to disclose membership and ticket allocation numbers is completely unrealistic and also unreasonable. You buy your membership and you take your chances however slim they may be

I got tickets this time and will probably renew especially since most of the rest of you arent renewing next year:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just on tickets, please please please please don’t buy from touts. Watch at home or in the pub, don’t encourage them. I hope the irfu take a stand against likes of viaggio, be interesting to see if touts amoung supporters club!

pc7 wrote: »
    Just on tickets, please please please please don’t buy from touts. Watch at home or in the pub, don’t encourage them. I hope the irfu take a stand against likes of viaggio, be interesting to see if touts amoung supporters club!

I never do out of principle but think the standard price is expensive already, tout price must be ridiculous.

clevtrev wrote: »
    at the end of the day the supporters club is a bit of a scroungers club (myself included!) that only exists to get access to tickets. Up to this year it was a very handy way of getting access to face value tickets that were selling for many multiples on the open market. In the current climate for rugby Im surprised that the IRFU are bothered keeping it running especially for 50 quid a head.

I think asking for the IRFU to disclose membership and ticket allocation numbers is completely unrealistic and also unreasonable. You buy your membership and you take your chances however slim they may be

I got tickets this time and will probably renew especially since most of the rest of you arent renewing next year:D

Yup it's its main point alright but there was never a guarantee of tickets either. But huge difference from having good chance to now.

I don't expect them to reveal membership numbers, my point was more about the perception that there has been both an increase in numbers an fewer tickets available this year than others.

Fair play for getting tickets, from what I've seen here and elsewhere you're definitely in a minority! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Eod100 wrote: »
    I never do out of principle but think the standard price is expensive already, tout price must be ridiculous.

Just jumped on viagogo there to look. €900+
    I don't expect anyone to actually pay that much (I'd imagine 200ish is more realistic for those sites?) but regardless these sites need to be shut down. Its a disgrace.

clevtrev wrote: »

Yup, have to say it's occurred to me that next year might actually be the perfect time to renew....because if membership drops off by 90%, then those left in it are almost guaranteed tickets! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I got 2 tickets for the France match ,the wife was lucky with her membership,god bless her.

I managed to get 2 in Block 103 which are good seats .

I had a good few windows opened checking what was on offer whilst I left the 103 seats in the basket.

There seemed to be seats in all price categories except Premium available .
    This included restricted view tickets for 32.50 and 42.50.
    Most seats I was offered were in Blocks 503,505 and 506 .
    Varying from Row D to Row T.

When I searched on the 32.50 and 42.50 restricted view seats they were also available.

I was offered two in Block 107 as well .

So there seemed to be a good variety of tickets .
    I wouldn't be surprised if the supporters club allocation doesn't even sell out ,they've obviously sent out hardly any codes to the members.

• Advertisement

So there seemed to be a good variety of tickets .
    I wouldn't be surprised if the supporters club allocation doesn't even sell out ,they've obviously sent out hardly any codes to the members.

I think people have 24 hours to buy too though.

Advertisement