Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've gone to the dark side and bought a xbox one S.

Mostly just for the backwards compatibility so I'm not tied to a console that is about to explode.

That and Ninja Gaiden black and Radiant Silvergun are on the BC list.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Relikk wrote: »
    It's standard Mr. Biffo fare. A lot of cringe, but some gold in there at the same time. It just looks a little low budget, but it's deliberately done.

By odd coincidence, the other digitiser writer Mr Hairs (who is a proper travel writer now and quite good) was on newstalk this morning .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's one I didn't know, if you give Sonic 3D Blast a bit of a slap (literally) it can get you to the level select menu (apparently something to do with the game having a crash handler that brings you to this menu)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That video was out ages ago. Well worth following gamehut, the guy running it has been showing off how he managed all the crazy effects he pulled off while working at Traveller's Tales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just got a package from America. Paid about $16 shipping on a $60.

Just arrived with a fee of €34 euro :(

**** you Trump!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Just got a package from America. Paid about $16 shipping on a $60.

Just arrived with a fee of €34 euro :(

**** you Trump!

“Making An Post Greedy Again”

Sparks43 wrote: »

It was UPS.

But like 65%ish tax on a coupe of records, some joke.

It's a Mortal Kombat and Transformers vinyl so hopefully they will be worth the wait. For anyone wondering, it was from think geek. I didn't buy from them in about 10 years and couldn't remember why, I suddenly remember :p

It was UPS.

It's a Mortal Kombat and Transformers vinyl so hopefully they will be worth the wait. For anyone wondering, it was from think geek. I didn't buy from them in about 10 years and couldn't remember why, I suddenly remember :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

It was UPS.

Your paying the VAT/Duty handling charge of UPS on top of a standard rate of VAT of 23% - its charged on both the item value and shipping to stop folks saying an item cost $1 and the shipping was $99
    I avoid using UPS/Fedex for international shipments as they love getting some VAT/Duty handling charges

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Their 'admin' fee pisses me off. Thanks for charging me €10-15 for paying customs on my behalf. You don't even have a chance to pay it yourself!

They're also never really accurate. Last time I got a package with DHL they done me out €10. Wasn't arsed calling around to get it back but I can only imagine how much they over charge people with their dodgy customs calculations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, a local TKMaxx has these crappy NesClone consoles for sale, the ones with no games you know and all composite all the time.
    11511268-9524508386516272.jpg
    I'm wondering if it would be simple enough turning it into a NES controller for the laugh....

That’s one for the last bandit !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That’s one for the last bandit !!

Ha ha, fat chance :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Certainly reason to be celebrated on social media if you could clear LoZ with one of those!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Certainly reason to be celebrated on social media if you could clear LoZ with one of those!

Would be very tough to beat Boulder Dash with it though.

Would be very tough to beat Boulder Dash with it though.

I'm frankly shocked you wouldn't already have it practiced and won, in the games room of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Opinions please. I like having a the boxes on display but I think it may be better having the consoles on display.

I might stick some controllers on the wall behind each console. I'll get broken/spare ones and take the wires out to make them look cleaner. The bottom shelf I'm not sure. I might prop up the accessories and have some games on display. Room is limited though.

T3ObRsR.jpg

Have you ever considered collecting any Sega games and consoles?
    Hear they are pretty good....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retro beers moved to Saturday incase anyone missed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Is it just me or are posts disappearing? I could have sworn I had over 30,000 posts.

GDPR Purge?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is it just me or are posts disappearing? I could have sworn I had over 30,000 posts.

GDPR Purge?!

Yeah I definitely had 16/17k but now it’s down to 12.

I think I have the same amount. Clearly I don't post anything interesting enough to remove :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Going rate on PVM's in Ireland these days? prefer not to bother with paying out the arse for shipping, really want to get back into the swing of things and rebuild everything I sold in 2016.
    Can't even find a good trinitron locally on adverts!

GDPR Purge?!

Yeah for some reason I’ve dropped under 4K. Would love to know what’s up with that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

GDPR Purge?!
    Yeah I definitely had 16/17k but now it’s down to 12.
    Yeah for some reason I’ve dropped under 4K. Would love to know what’s up with that

Normally threads get closed at 10,000. Years ago however threads were left to grow much, much larger, these threads caused the hamsters no end of trouble, so they got deleted recently I believe. So that's probably where all your gems went.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Master of the Universe

That would explain it. Checked the original chat thread we had in here and it's been deleted, should be at the following link;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57229750

Master of the Universe

airmax87 wrote: »
    Going rate on PVM's in Ireland these days? prefer not to bother with paying out the arse for shipping, really want to get back into the swing of things and rebuild everything I sold in 2016.
    Can't even find a good trinitron locally on adverts!

How long is a piece of string! :D

Depends entirely on what comes up as they're pretty uncommon.

That recent 14 inch one I got was 120 on Donedeal. That's in and around what I've sold some of that size for in the past.

Only thing you can do really is bide your time, keep checking adverts/donedeal and hope that something comes up.

It's also worth subscribing to all of the alerts on dragonbox in case any show up for sale (they tend to sell out fast when they do)

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/191-monitors

Looking forward to this now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, a local TKMaxx has these crappy NesClone consoles for sale, the ones with no games you know and all composite all the time.
    11511268-9524508386516272.jpg
    I'm wondering if it would be simple enough turning it into a NES controller for the laugh....
    tumblr_inline_nonkp25st61qgtlhg_540.jpg

Advertisement