Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tralee a good spot for a weekend away?

• 04-12-2018 6:25pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m looking at getting my wife tickets to an artist she likes who’s playing a few places around the country next year - reckoned we could make a weekend of it.

Tralee is one option but, bar an overnight with work, I’ve no idea what it’s like for spending a few days.

Wouldn’t be looking for anything major - but just want to be sure it has a few options in terms of bars/food... along with one or two things that might be worth a look at if we’ve a few hours to spare.

Would Tralee be a good spot for a couple to spend a few days, or should I take my business to the likes of Wexford or Kilkenny instead? 😂

(Oh and accommodation recommendations are welcome too - I stayed in the Ashe Hotel on my work trip and it seemed like a nice and inexpensive place - but if there’s better options let me know)

Comments

Being brutally honest, I love Tralee...but there is a reason Kilkenny would be a far more obvious destination for tourists, it has better hotels and restaurants, more to see, busier night life etc.

One thing I would say is that if you have a car, Tralee is a great centre to hit the beaches of north Kerry, head out to Dingle, Killarney National Park/Gap of Dunloe/Reeks etc. The surrounding county would have far more to offer than Kilkenny. And hotels in Tralee are very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Nothing special about Tralee, nothing bad about Tralee. It's just your run of the mill normal town. Any time I've been there the town centre has been pretty quiet, there are plenty of bars but not much seems to happen unless there's an event on.

My usual haunt in Tralee is a place called Stokers lodge. A bit outside the town centre, across from the train station but it's a lovely little bar with great staff and friendly locals.

If you're taking the missus maybe book into the Ballygarry house. It's not within walking distance of town but wouldn't be more than a tenner in a taxi. It has a spa and leisure centre too if you're so inclined.

Also if you're down for a few days, you're only a quick drive away from plenty of offerings in Kerry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

flogen wrote: »
    I’m looking at getting my wife tickets to an artist she likes who’s playing a few places around the country next year - reckoned we could make a weekend of it.

Tralee is one option but, bar an overnight with work, I’ve no idea what it’s like for spending a few days.

Wouldn’t be looking for anything major - but just want to be sure it has a few options in terms of bars/food... along with one or two things that might be worth a look at if we’ve a few hours to spare.

Would Tralee be a good spot for a couple to spend a few days, or should I take my business to the likes of Wexford or Kilkenny instead? ��

(Oh and accommodation recommendations are welcome too - I stayed in the Ashe Hotel on my work trip and it seemed like a nice and inexpensive place - but if there’s better options let me know)

As mentioned Ballygarry is a beautiful hotel with a fabulous spa. It’s outside of town. The Rose hotel is another option, it also has spa treatments.

There’s plenty of bars & shops, as well as a good museum. Then you have the option of going to Dingle or Killarney for visits.

I’m biased as I’m from Tralee, but there’s no reason why it’s not a good place to go. Some nice places to eat too, especially in both those hotels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Don't go to Tralee for a weekend away, it's the equivalent of going to France but staying in Rouen (for example) instead of Paris.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@Benildus - Rather than just post a bland comment that is useless to the OP (and comes across as trolling) can you explain why you think that? Otherwise if youve nothing useful to add to the thread, why add anything at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Gaspode wrote: »
    @Benildus - Rather than just post a bland comment that is useless to the OP (and comes across as trolling) can you explain why you think that? Otherwise if youve nothing useful to add to the thread, why add anything at all?

If i'm trolling report me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Being brutally honest, I love Tralee...but there is a reason Kilkenny would be a far more obvious destination for tourists, it has better hotels and restaurants, more to see, busier night life etc.

One thing I would say is that if you have a car, Tralee is a great centre to hit the beaches of north Kerry, head out to Dingle, Killarney National Park/Gap of Dunloe/Reeks etc. The surrounding county would have far more to offer than Kilkenny. And hotels in Tralee are very reasonable.

Thanks. As it turns out a friend of mine stayed in Tralee last year and he said much the same... it’s a good base for getting to the rest of Kerry but not much happening in and of itself.

I’m kind of put off Kilkenny because it’s such a tourist (and stag/hen) haunt - though the trip is February so it may not be so bad (and a handier drive from Dublin!)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

flogen wrote: »
    Thanks. As it turns out a friend of mine stayed in Tralee last year and he said much the same... it’s a good base for getting to the rest of Kerry but not much happening in and of itself.

I’m kind of put off Kilkenny because it’s such a tourist (and stag/hen) haunt - though the trip is February so it may not be so bad (and a handier drive from Dublin!)

From a tourist perspective, the town is somewhat unfairly overshadowed by the likes of Killarney, Kenare, Dingle etc.That said though, there are several quality hotels and restaurants in and around the town so you certainly won't be disappointed in that regard on a short break once you know exactly where to go.

The pub scene is a bit quiet it must be said, but again there are several decent watering holes all the same.

In summery, it wouldn't be the most exciting place to spend a few days if you're without a car and restricting yourselves to just the town.

But if you're interested in exploring the surrounding countryside, it's a completely different story. Ardfert and Banna only a 15 minute drive. Or take a day-trip to Dingle, Killarney, Listowel etc. Spoilt for choice!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Quackster wrote: »
    From a tourist perspective, the town is somewhat unfairly overshadowed by the likes of Killarney, Kenare, Dingle etc.That said though, there are several quality hotels and restaurants in and around the town so you certainly won't be disappointed in that regard on a short break once you know exactly where to go.

The pub scene is a bit quiet it must be said, but again there are several decent watering holes all the same.

In summery, it wouldn't be the most exciting place to spend a few days if you're without a car and restricting yourselves to just the town.

But if you're interested in exploring the surrounding countryside, it's a completely different story. Ardfert and Banna only a 15 minute drive. Or take a day-trip to Dingle, Killarney, Listowel etc. Spoilt for choice!

Thanks. Somewhere with a few decent feeding/watering holes and an option of taking a scenic spin might be all the excitement we need to be honest!

Advertisement