Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Primavera Sound 2019

• 03-12-2018 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Line-up to be announced on Wednesday through Spanish radio!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just looking over at the rumours on efestivals, the acts being rumoured sound unusually poor this year. Sounds like there is going to be a big focus on 'Reggaeton' whatever the hell that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I would expect Solange to be playing, Tame Impala surely too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'll be giving it a miss (probably)

https://twitter.com/hjquique/status/1070383932510797824

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Not a terrible lineup, but lacking in big headliners. Tame Impala are down!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Weak. Who are the actual headliners? Tame Impala, Solange, Interpol, Cardi B, Robyn?

Edit: Poster below. I must have fallen EXTREMELY out of touch with current music in the last 12 months.

81956FE5-790F-4779-B2AF-BE1A25AB4299.jpeg.9884773157178b449424358bbc11dee1.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Loads there to keep me happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I decided against going to next years, so was dreading the announcement, but it's a bit meh to me.

Maybe just me but I used to always love the Primavera lineup but last year it felt it changed a bit for me personally. Maybe I'm just out of the loop - must go and check out some Carly Rae Jepsen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It's a strive to get a 50/50 male/female line up, I guess the pay is also gonna be similar so there's no real big male acts as they probably demand too much that will tip the scales.

Not sure what to make of it yet, theres lots on it I dont like, but some I love and lots I dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭RamonD3

Wasn't expecting much with the lack of rumours, so pleasantly surprised to get to be seeing Stephen Malkmus, Julien Baker and Jarvis. Will have to google some of the others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Decent line up but not enough to get me to pay for flights, tickets and the rest.

I could easily find 15-20 acts I want to see there but I'd fancy my chances of finding most of them closer to home too.

I won't be too critical of the headline acts - certainly some unusual choices but that seems to be happening across the board the last few years - but it does seem like it's lacking of a surprise or a wow factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm a massive Stereolab fan and delighted they are doing some gigs but hope and pray they will do something in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I'm also fricking delighted that Stereolab are playing again. Seriously considering going to see them in a Barcelona. The line up for Sunday is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Vinculus wrote: »
    I'm also fricking delighted that Stereolab are playing again. Seriously considering going to see them in a Barcelona. The line up for Sunday is amazing.

The Sunday does look like fun. The rest of it is hipster landfill.

There's about 40 acts on the line-up I want to see and that's without even doing any research. It's still the best line-up in Europe even if it's not as good as previous editions

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Wooderson wrote: »
    The Sunday does look like fun. The rest of it is hipster landfill.

If only we could get Beak> to play on Sunday, before or after Stereolab.

Decent line up but not enough to get me to pay for flights, tickets and the rest.

I could easily find 15-20 acts I want to see there but I'd fancy my chances of finding most of them closer to home too.

I won't be too critical of the headline acts - certainly some unusual choices but that seems to be happening across the board the last few years - but it does seem like it's lacking of a surprise or a wow factor.

As an update to this - I counted 24 that I'd go see and that's before doing a jot of research. Not much in the top tier headline acts but a lot in the undercard.

Mainly on the first two days too.

Guaranteed a good weekend if anyone makes the trip; I won't be - given the extra cost of flying, etc, it has to be something new or different for me and, of those 20+ acts, I've seen a good chunk of them before so won't make the trip this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Gonna sell my earlybirds for this, anyone used the safe marketplace before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

maximoose wrote: »
    Gonna sell my earlybirds for this, anyone used the safe marketplace before?

Is the lineup your reason for selling?

Are there any other fest you're thinking of instead?

Is the lineup your reason for selling?

Yes- ish. Bought tickets thinking I was getting married in 2020 but as that's now changed to 2019 I needed a big lineup to swing it for me and justify the trip :pac:

It's just... ok IMO, quite disappointing overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Yes- ish. Bought tickets thinking I was getting married in 2020 but as that's now changed to 2019 I needed a big lineup to swing it for me and justify the trip :pac:

It's just... ok IMO, quite disappointing overall.

Congrats on getting hitched.

Hopefully 2020 will be better for you lineup wise.

I agree about the lineup,

Aside from NAS, Pusha T, Robyn, Janelle Monae, Christine & The queens, Apparat, Modeselektor and Solange there's nothing pulling me to Barca.

Even if i saw all those listed names on a bill in Ireland I don't think it'd convince me.

There's plenty on there I'd like to see alright, just not enough 'big' names. Honestly it's like there's no true headliners, just one massive mid tier. Would be confident enough that everyone on the bill I'd like to see will be in Ireland next year anyway.

Think it'll be ATN for me only next year, possibly Sounds From A Safe Harbour thrown in but that'll be about it.

Hopefully Prima woos me back for 2020.

There's plenty on there I'd like to see alright, just not enough 'big' names. Honestly it's like there's no true headliners, just one massive mid tier. Would be confident enough that everyone on the bill I'd like to see will be in Ireland next year anyway.

Think it'll be ATN for me only next year, possibly Sounds From A Safe Harbour thrown in but that'll be about it.

Hopefully Prima woos me back for 2020.

I think it's far better that they've spent their money on the mid level acts. Mordor is a pain in the a*s so it's no bad thing (IMO) that the best acts will be concentrated on the smaller, better stages

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Sunday's the weakest day for me and I'd still be happy to see 12 acts or so. I'm looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Any idea when Primavera Nos will be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

roundup:

- full timetable out on Friday (although one of the sponsors is leaking some times at the moment: https://twitter.com/lotuswatches/with_replies?lang=en )
    e: being collated here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q46MChC0p8OMI0-WgPkfNnWX-tkJ9kGqcb1z7m3vstU/edit

- Cardi B cancelled, Miley Cyrus replacing.

- Irish acts showcase event on at CCCB in the city centre one of the days. Free entry for everyone (don't need a ticket). Last year had Fontaines DC, Roe, Le Boom, Paddy Hanna, Ailbhe Reddy and a few more:
    Ireland: of harmony and racket
    Music from Ireland brings to Barcelona five of the artists that everybody is talking about in both in Ireland and outside. We have, for example Wyvern Lingo, in which the voices of three friends harmonize in brilliant gems of R‘n’B. Also influenced by North American rock, A. Smyth adopts the emotional resonance of the most intense singer-songwriters. For her part LAOISE reveals her emotional ups and downs through radiant electronic pop. Thumper share this melodic intuition, but in their case, they show it by enveloping their songs in raucous noise. Lastly, Kojaque from Dublin will be introduced to the audience of Primavera Pro as a precocious master of hip hop, balancing traditional rhymes on elegant jazz beats.

Italian, Chilean and South Korean showcases on other days too: https://pro.primaverasound.com/news/view/id/248

- Your Heineken stage (replacing the Hidden Stage):
    720-Your_Heineken_Stage_20190508121214.jpg
    This is a call to all true fans. To those who steer clear of the crowds and have spent years proclaiming their devotion, their activism and their odyssey, many times, across the desert. To those who really do their research into the line up and find those gems that nobody else noticed. To those who never even dreamt of seeing their favourite band live. Heineken and Primavera Sound present a stage especially for them, Your Heineken Stage, that takes over from Heineken Hidden stage in the Parc del Fòrum and will be located in a new marquee with a 2000-people capacity that will host meetings with artists and the broadcast of the UEFA Champions League final. As well as, of course, a programme of 17 artists which has been revealed today: half of them are names have been put forward by fans on the social networks of Heineken and Primavera Sound over the past few weeks; the other half are national groups that will play songs by their favourite bands specially for this occasion.

The Argentinians Él Mató a un Policía Motorizado are such a cult band that they afford the luxury of playing on Your Heineken Stage with some of their fans. These fans include Amaia, J (of Los Planetas) and Manu Ferrón. Nobody knows what will come out of this intergenerational meeting, but one thing is sure it will be unique.

Making the most of their transatlantic flight, 107 Faunos, from La Plata, will also visit us, to make us understand why, as well as football, when you go to Argentina you have to go to a concert to see that even the smallest of bands stir passions. Wisdom and commotion hand in hand.

Another artist who will make the most of his trip is the British saxophonist and clarinettist Shabaka Hutchings, who apart from performing at the festival with Sons of Kemet XL will also give a recital of nu jazz, funk and psychedlia with his project The Comet Is Coming.

Few devotees of Pylon Reenactment Society ever thought that they would be able to see the latest incarnation of Vanessa Briscoe Hay’s band live in Barcelona… until they saw its name in the line up of Your Heineken Stage. Other illustrious fans of the band would be very pleased if they lived here: have you heard of REM?

The same goes for the fans of the British band Swervedriver, that are living a second youth with their new album Future Ruins, backed by Mogwai themselves. They will present it at Primavera Sound 2019 to make it perfectly clear that alternative rock is here to stay.

One artist that nobody had even thought of was Chandra. Many will not believe their eyes when they see that the New York 1980 underground legend, who released an EP at just 12 years old and then disappeared, has brought her musical career back to life. We must thank the musical archaeologists The Avalanches for this, as they rescued her hit Subways in 2016. And she will be here with us.

And there is more: Who ever thought that they would hear the hit Too Many Creeps by the post-punk pioneers Bush Tetras live? That song that sounded like LCD Soundsystem but 30 years ago. Well, here you have them on Your Heineken Stage at Primavera Sound.

Or, that 2019 would be the year in which to dance, in Barcelona, with the Australian visionaries Severed Heads, a band that has been releasing albums (over 20) since 1979. When advanced music appeared, they were already there.

Not to mention The Bevis Frond who after three decades of career still insist on showing that there is life, beauty and fantasy in the styles that that all other creators have already hidden away in the box room. And their fans know it.

Piroshka, who formed just last year, may not be cult yet… but the bands that its members come from are definitely legendary: Miki Berenyi from Lush, K. J. McKillop from Moose, Justin Welch from Elastica and Michael Conroy from Modern English. Did I hear you say supergroup?

And then, the cherry on the cake, all of the main characters from “The great book of correspondence between music fans of other musicians” will get on stage. Because all bands have always seen themselves reflected in the mirror of others. Sometimes even... literally. Mujeres in the songs by Los Saicos. Me and the Bees in tracks by The Breeders. Evripidis and his Tragedies in the anthems by The Magnetic Fields. Viva Belgrado in the ferocity of At The Drive In. Aliment in the repertoire of Television Personalities. Birkins together with Ken Stringfellow in the memory of Ziggy Stardust. And Kokoshca in the hits by Las Grecas. They will all play their songs but the homage will not be complete without the participation of the audience.

- SEAT Village Stage

728-Seat_Village_Stage_dias_20190430124507.jpg
    On the Primavera Sound site, stages just spring up. And the SEAT Village area, which last year hosted an area to chill with DJ sessions by the water, this year will host a brand new stage called the SEAT Village Stage that will join the main programme of the festival with 13 artists who move around in all the facets and variants of hip hop. In collaboration with SEAT, this stage allows the audience to discover the present and future of the genre in a privileged setting.

The ruthless flow by Little Simz, the new star of grime AJ Tracey, the verses of redemption by the American artist IDK, ex-PXXR GVNG member Kaydy Cain and his urban blender, a classical modern Spaniard Mucho Muchacho and Junglepussy’s old school meets trap are some of the most outstanding names that will play on the SEAT Village Stage and will join the official Primavera Sound 2019 programme. It will also be the place to discover the soul jazz by Celeste, the misty atmospheres of Chynna, life lessons from Bbymutha and the queen of this **** Quay Dash from the Bronx, artists who together with the local proposals Erik Urano, La Tiguerita and Ninhomalo (winner of the emerging talents competition VXLX P€RDVDX of El Bloque) complete the line up of rhythms and beats that will open the festival up to a new dimension.

And although you should dress to sweat for the SEAT Village Stage, there will also be an area in which to chill located on a platform above the water where urban art will be the centre of attention, along with a food area and lockers with phone chargers and free wifi so that the party can go on and on. With this initiative SEAT, strategic partner of Primavera Sound, reinforces its commitment to music as something more than just music.

- Primavera Bits area breakdown (the stages by the beach)

PrimaveraBITS_20190401110805.png
    It is said that some people don’t leave Primavera Bits during the whole Primavera Sound… and it is said because it is true. In the fourth year of its existence, the festival’s commitment to dance sounds in Sant Adrià de Besòs continues to expand in every which way: in size as it gains a new stage, EL PUNTO by adidas Originals, for which Yung Beef has chosen 17 artists who will defend the reason behind the boom of urban music; and in breadth because the programme of Primavera Bits continues to break down stylistic frontiers and will welcome, not only sessions and live concerts by electronic producers of all kinds but also trap shows, old school reggaeton, colourful pop, modern pop and even j-pop.

Each stage comes with a surprise this year: the main stage will now go by the name of Lotus and will be right by the beach with views of the sea; the club stage will also move and become the Desperados Cube, the name itself gives clues as to what it will be; the Xiringuito Aperol will this year be commanded by electronic music collectives who will welcome festivalgoers at the start of each day; and EL PUNTO by adidas Originals that will be a stage with a dance floor which is a street football pitch or vice versa... whatever, who cares?

LOTUS STAGE

What is it? The Primavera Bits’ stage on which everything fits.
    Where is it? It is moving on to the beach. Spacious, sunny, eclectic and with views of the sea.
    What can I see there? Artists that will make you dance to different genres and proposals: from reggaeton to experimental electronic music, from hedonistic house to j-pop, from trap to ultravitaminated pop, this stage knows no bounds.
    When? The usual time (that is 6pm to 5am).

DESPERADOS CUBE

What is it? A cube. Yes, you read right: a cube. With the audience dancing around it.
    Where is it? Crossing the bridge towards Primavera Bits, on the left-hand side. Where the main stage used to be. You can’t miss it.
    What can I see there? Non-stop sessions by all the DJs and producers that you wanted to see this year, with an all-day showcase by the label Hivern Discs on Saturday. House, techno, disco, funk, electro… Let’s dance.
    When? From the early hours of afternoon sun until dawn. This is where we welcome the new day dancing

EL XIRINGUITO APEROL

What is it? A real beach bar on the sand where you can spend the early hours of the festival: with its sun loungers, its spritz, and its chill and, like last year, its paellas by the Kauai restaurant.
    Where is it? On the beach, so that you can dance with your feet in the water. Don’t worry: we will supply the towels.
    What can I see there? Showcases by well-known electronic music collectives that will be in charge of getting the festival off the ground on the right foot for you and your friends.
    When? From 2pm until the other stages of the festival start their programme.

EL PUNTO by adidas Originals

What is it? The new member of the family: a stage curated by Yung Beef that brings together the past, present and future of urban sounds. Its dance floor is a football pitch, sky’s the limit!
    Where is it? Behind the Lotus stage, in what is known as La Plaza.
    What can I see there? Promising newcomers on the trap scene, godfathers of reggaeton, elusive crews and icons that you thought you would never see live.
    When? It is a 100% nocturnal stage: don’t even try to find anyone here in the daylight.

The Primavera Bits programme is included in Primavera Sound 2019.

Made the decision to skip this year

Hope everyone who is going has an amazing time!

Made the decision to skip this year

Hope everyone who is going has an amazing time!

Same - the more I read through the line up, the more acts I see that I'd love to catch but just made the call not to go this year.

It should be a cracker of a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Never thought I'd see Mylie Cyrus play Primavera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Advertisement