Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Damp in w126

• 05-12-2018 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Hi, apologies if this has been posted before, but I wonder if could ask some advice? I have fairly recently bought a w126 300se,which is in really lovely condition, no rust, chrome perfect etc. It is quite damp inside though. It transpires it was a Hong Kong import by a Mercedes benz club owner who got put off the road for a couple of years, and finally decided not to renew his license. In any case it apparently stood idle for 18 months until I bought if off a dealer in October. I've had it serviced etc, so I've not driven it much, but it remains damp. Is it something that with more regular use should pass, or should I be looking for anything else? I was particularly wondering whether to get the windscreen and rear window and boot seals replaced.
    I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Did you lift the carpets? If not, do it and check which one is wet. These cars have usually hidden problems behind the engine bonnet hinges or leaking sunroof drain trays or pipes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Is it actually wet inside, or just suffering from foggy windows?

Foggy windows are my biggest gripe about old cars. I could do without having to carry a roll of kitchen paper in the car for those days when you can't see the end of your bonnet.

Good luck with sealing her up if you go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭flatty

Dades wrote: »
    Is it actually wet inside, or just suffering from foggy windows?

Foggy windows are my biggest gripe about old cars. I could do without having to carry a roll of kitchen paper in the car for those days when you can't see the end of your bonnet.

Good luck with sealing her up if you go down that route.
    Mainly foggy windows, and, in fact, after a run last night it was OK this morning.
    What causes this in old cars? Is it poor seals?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

flatty wrote: »
    Hi, apologies if this has been posted before, but I wonder if could ask some advice? I have fairly recently bought a w126 300se,which is in really lovely condition, no rust, chrome perfect etc. It is quite damp inside though. It transpires it was a Hong Kong import by a Mercedes benz club owner who got put off the road for a couple of years, and finally decided not to renew his license. In any case it apparently stood idle for 18 months until I bought if off a dealer in October. I've had it serviced etc, so I've not driven it much, but it remains damp. Is it something that with more regular use should pass, or should I be looking for anything else? I was particularly wondering whether to get the windscreen and rear window and boot seals replaced.

Any dampness under boot door? Or under the panel below the rear window? Check pockets on left and right side inside boot

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Any dampness under boot door? Or under the panel below the rear window? Check pockets on left and right side inside boot

• Advertisement

supervento wrote: »
    Will do.
    Boot was damp alright when I picked it up. Not sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Take out the carpets and give them a good clean, along with time to dry. Fathers was the same, carpets and mats were the culprit

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mainly foggy windows, and, in fact, after a run last night it was OK this morning.
    Yesterday was a bad day for foggy windows whereas today not a bother.

I concur the issue is probably carpets. There's a sneaky sunroof leak somewhere in my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,697 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Two of these for €1.50 in Dealz

20127_26.jpg

They help. A lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Mercedes have fresh air vents which allow outside air directly inside, they also allow the damp Irish air in if they are not closed.
    I had this same problem on my w201, the centre vents on the dash were the culprit, keep them closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Rubber seal on the rear windscreen would be a point of investigation , hard enough to replace without breaking the screen .
    All the 4 carpets and the back seat base will clip out in about five minutes to help determine leak source.
    Also make sure sunroof drains aren't blocked , they exit in the front wings/ wheel well .

Bigus wrote: »
    Rubber seal on the rear windscreen would be a point of investigation , hard enough to replace without breaking the screen .
    All the 4 carpets and the back seat base will clip out in about five minutes to help determine leak source.
    Also make sure sunroof drains aren't blocked , they exit in the front wings/ wheel well .

Thanks very much. There's no sunroof, which I was assured was a good thing.

I'll close the front vents, and get the damp proof stuff, and take it from there. Don't like the sound of breaking the window trying to reseal it. :-0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

you may also have a cold air vent between the front seats for the rear passengers, that will need closing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

There's no sunroof, which I was assured was a good thing.

As regards your damp issues, yes not having a sunroof is a plus! The seal around the sunroof is not a weather seal but a noise seal and is inclined to let water in. It is most likely that your issue is from the boot area as these cars tend to sweat a lot. Carefully open the boot and check for dampness on the boot lid itself. If this is damp when you open it fully the water will run and settle in the frame and stay there. You will see two little rubber bungs at the very tip of the bootlid, one each side. Pull them out and drain all the water out.
    Check out the rear window rubber and see if its gone hard or cracked. If so, this is another place for leaks so you also need to check the panel underneath as its a well known trouble spot. You need to cut the rubber to get the glass out as they are delicate. New rubbers are still available. The rubber seal around the boot aperture doesn't let in water but the vents in the rear wells can and they stick open letting in all the dampness.
    Leaving these cars standing in the open kills them very quickly

w124man wrote: »
    As regards your damp issues, yes not having a sunroof is a plus! The seal around the sunroof is not a weather seal but a noise seal and is inclined to let water in. It is most likely that your issue is from the boot area as these cars tend to sweat a lot. Carefully open the boot and check for dampness on the boot lid itself. If this is damp when you open it fully the water will run and settle in the frame and stay there. You will see two little rubber bungs at the very tip of the bootlid, one each side. Pull them out and drain all the water out.
    Check out the rear window rubber and see if its gone hard or cracked. If so, this is another place for leaks so you also need to check the panel underneath as its a well known trouble spot. You need to cut the rubber to get the glass out as they are delicate. New rubbers are still available. The rubber seal around the boot aperture doesn't let in water but the vents in the rear wells can and they stick open letting in all the dampness.
    I'll get it covered ASAP. I'd really like to give it to an expert to sort out

I've had a look, and it's been very wet and I drove it this morning, but there is actually water pooling in the back mainly just behind the drivers seat.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I've had a look, and it's been very wet and I drove it this morning, but there is actually water pooling in the back mainly just behind the drivers seat.
    Any ideas?

Rear window is the first place I would look. The bottom of the window panel can rust and you to can see if it has from underneath. You need to be a bit of a contortionist to see it but if its rotten that's where the leaks will come from

Are you in Wexford by any chance?

Rear window is the first place I would look. The bottom of the window panel can rust and you to can see if it has from underneath. You need to be a bit of a contortionist to see it but if its rotten that's where the leaks will come from

Are you in Wexford by any chance?
    No, I'm not. I have a lad coming to look at it on Saturday

No, I'm not. I have a lad coming to look at it on Saturday

Thanks very much though

• Advertisement
Advertisement