Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Non-Fiction Book, Best Chapter

Options
  • 30-11-2018 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

What's the Best Book, and best Chapter of that book that you've read?

I love reading but rarely can dedicate myself fully to a book, prefer to read in bursts and great chapters is a good way to do that.

I mostly read Psychology, Business, Self Help kind of books but any book where there's a good message and good takeaways from I'm open to.

(Mods feel free to move, didn't really see an adequate place for this anywhere else on Boards)

Comments

On The Road, Chapter 1:

"...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars..."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Zlatas Diary

Written by an eleven year old in 1992-93 as she lived through the siege of Sarajevo during the Balkan wars.

As far as i know she now lives in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Will Check these out Thanks. More please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A short history of nearly everything - all chapters.

The Dig Tree

The Stolen Village.

The list is enormous. What interests have you? Science, Nature, History, Sport, Politics, Exploration?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Edit: ballsed up.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Think some people have difficulty working out what nonfiction means.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Chapter 1 of my own novel.

It has been in development since December 2005. Work on Chapter 2 is due to begin early next year.

Stormlight Archive

Can't describe it without giving major spoilers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

Chapter One: The Eve of the War

"No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And early in the twentieth century came the great disillusionment."
    Stormlight Archive

Can't describe it without giving major spoilers.
    Non-fiction? Or have I missed something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Eek!! This is what not reading a thread title does!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

You're not. I missed a key word in the title.

Eek!! This is what not reading a thread title does!

Burn him with fire!!!!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

An Evil Cradling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Anything by Bill Bryson

(anything not being the title of the book.. I mean literally anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A small history of everything because you start looking at the everyday differently, picking up a fork and thinking.. yeah why dose it have 4 prongs not 5 or 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: I'll move this to the Literature forum, OP. Just follow the link on the forum main page.

Please note the change of forum and forum rules, folks.

Buford T. Justice

To answer your question, currently on HAVOC, the Auxiliaries in Ireland's War of Independence by Paul O'Brien. Finding it very interesting so far.

And I'll echo the Bill Bryson books particularly Made in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Dont know, non fiction puts me to sleep. Fiction books are miles better

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Greyfox wrote: »
    Dont know, non fiction puts me to sleep. Fiction books are miles better

Great Reply lol

Advertisement