Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is this storm called Storm Diana and not Storm Deirdre?

• 28-11-2018 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Wasn’t the next storm meant to be Deirdre? I thought the names were agreed between the UK and Irish Met offices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

portugal named it, as it formed near them i think

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Portuguese Met service named the storm, and there is an agreement among a number of met agencies in Europe, to not change the name of a storm that a fellow met service has already named.
    Someone posted about it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wasn’t the next storm meant to be Deirdre? I thought the names were agreed between the UK and Irish Met offices?

It was named by the Portuguese met office not the Irish or UK met offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

She was the Queen of Hearts FFS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Neon Demon

I'll be leaving a life-size, inflatable E.T. outside tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Deirdre is the next one. Other countries naming storms (ex hurricanes as well) doesn’t affect the Irish and British naming convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Deirdre is the next one. Other countries naming storms (ex hurricanes as well) doesn’t affect the Irish and British naming convention.

No, D is now skipped. Next storm is E

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Remember when storms used to be named 'Jaysus it's a bit blowy out'?

JCX BXC wrote: »

You sure? Does this only happen if the Portuguese weather service happen to use the letter that would have been used by the Irish and British met office? Otherwise it obviously wouldn’t work. (And didn’t last year with Eleanor being followed two months later by Emma, after Fionn and Georgina).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Fake Weather News

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Deirdre is next according to Evelyn Cusack on Newstalk yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Yes, I think I got wrong what she said in her presentation last Friday. We do use the name first used by another service but we still stick to our own list after that too, so Deirdre is next. Sorry for the confusion.

It’s interesting that last year the Portuguese named Emma was in March and here we are in November still with a Diana. 5 significant storms last year affecting Portugal or the Azores by March, 4 named storms already in winter 2018/19 by late november.

(Also interesting that the names are fairly Anglo so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here are the Spain/France/Portugal names for the 2018-19 season.

Borrascas2018-2019-carlos.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

a rose by any other name has just as many storms

Advertisement