Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smashing Pumpkins -New Music

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Looks like the Bologna fans are getting their show tonight,so nothing to serious hopefully.
    Perhaps I was a little harsh,will wait for the album before rushing to condemn.
    Apologies that couldn't meet you Collie.First I got a cab and rush hour traffic took alot longer than expected to get to the stadium ,then queing to get in,then inside I couldn't text you but could txt Wrongway.Kept getting not delivered.
    And then sure no where open post gig we could find. I just called it a night at that stage.
    And another thing golden circle me hole,we were standing.Not sure why I thought it was something with a more elevated status than that.
    I also did also sneak a smoke in the jacks...there is always a way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭collie0708

I had a great time, the show was really good much better than I expected.....

I ended up in the amazon prime lounge which meant no queuing up for beers which was a great.

Sorry I missed meeting up think my phone was having isssues

collie0708 wrote: »
    I had a great time, the show was really good much better than I expected.....

I ended up in the amazon prime lounge which meant no queuing up for beers which was a great.

Sorry I missed meeting up think my phone was having isssues

Where was that then?
    I really wouldn't fancy going to Wembley to see a band again,be grand for a footie match but not for a band. Damn expensive as well paying 6.80 for a beer.
    Still they are great band and its a great show,artistic imagery.
    There was an image of a woman and her hand started moving very slowly around the drummers head must try to find it on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭collie0708

Where was that then?
    I really wouldn't fancy going to Wembley to see a band again,be grand for a footie match but not for a band. Damn expensive as well paying 6.80 for a beer.
    Still they are great band and its a great show,artistic imagery.
    There was an image of a woman and her hand started moving very slowly around the drummers head must try to find it on youtube.

The amazon lounge was to the left of the stage behind the line of the security barrier it had a good view but the main advantage was that they had plenty bar staff on.

Definatly the most expensive gig I have ever been to, ok for a once off but can’t see myself going to Wembley arena again myself.

Thought the set list was great but don’t get why they played the theme song from dumbo at the end of what billy had on his head😂

collie0708 wrote: »
    The amazon lounge was to the left of the stage behind the line of the security barrier it had a good view but the main advantage was that they had plenty bar staff on.

Definatly the most expensive gig I have ever been to, ok for a once off but can’t see myself going to Wembley arena again myself.

Thought the set list was great but don’t get why they played the theme song from dumbo at the end of what billy had on his head😂

:confused:Doesn't ring a bell is there a video of it? Youtube is choc a block with footage of the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Really enjoyed the gig. Got in just in time before Pumpkins started. The queues outside for every entrance and ticket collection were crazy. Only had one beer at the gig. Had a few beforehand and wanted to remember the show. The covers were fine but can't understand why a band with such an extensive catalogue of songs need to do covers. We didnt get Muzzle or Solara as they ran out of time. Standout tracks were Hummer, Soma, Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans, Thirty-Three and The Everlasting Gaze. New song Silvery Sometimes sounded great again. If they do ever come back, I'll be going again.

Really enjoyed the gig. Got in just in time before Pumpkins started. The queues outside for every entrance and ticket collection were crazy. Only had one beer at the gig. Had a few beforehand and wanted to remember the show. The covers were fine but can't understand why a band with such an extensive catalogue of songs need to do covers. We didnt get Muzzle or Solara as they ran out of time. Standout tracks were Hummer, Soma, Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans, Thirty-Three and The Everlasting Gaze. New song Silvery Sometimes sounded great again. If they do ever come back, I'll be going again.

Silvery Sometimes is muck its an 1979 wanna be ,anyway SP are neither alt or indie these days .. music does move along
    idles are the most cutting edge band of the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Yes there's also an SP thread in rock and metal.

Just saw Q gave the new album four stars. I doubt it'll be a four star "album". Q rarely give albums less than 3 stars anyway.

New song Knights Of Malta released the other day. Pretty ****e imo.

^ Agreed. I listened to it once and went for a second listen but couldn't get over the half way mark. Shame.

Very hard to get past that vocal part at 41 seconds... awful.

• Advertisement

1,752 views on youtube for that song,says it all really.Does not bode well for this new album.The tracks released to date with the exception of solara have being poor.

I've heard the whole album, and it's not bad! Even veering towards pretty good!

There's one track called Marchin' On which is an old style rocker, sounds very 1995, with old style Billy vocals. Best thing they've done in years.

With Sympathy is another nice one, quite reminiscent of Try Try Try. Has James on backing vox.

Seek and You Shall Destroy sounds a bit like Metallica, and strangely the dry production works for these rock songs.

Overall the tracks have more of a Machina vibe than anything else. Better than Monuments as it sounds more cohesive, even though stylistically the songs are all quite different. The other songs put the three released into context (though Knights of Malta is still really weird).

It's a pity there's only 8 tracks, but as a mini-album or extended EP it works quite well. Hopefully they do Part 2 and it continues in this vein. And then the album they make after that is a return to the shoegaze style of the earlier work!

Not good,not bad seems to be the consenus. Read a few reviews,listened to marching song dunno Billys voice just grates on me lately.

It's not bad. Its not amazing. They're a different band now, in their 50's, it'd be stupid to expect a Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie 2. I just don't fully like the sound of a Rick Rubin produced record. I felt the same with Metallica's 'Death Magnetic'. The drums do not sound right to me at all. Its much more of a joy to hear Jimmy Chamberlin play live. I don't hear his power enough on this album. Highlights are Solara, Marchin On (bit of the old angry Billy vocals there), Travels and Seek And You Shall Destroy. But I've always enjoyed the rockier side of Pumpkins. My disappointment is that with 3 guitarists, that the guitars are not louder on record. They are not the band they were, but there is still enough there to keep me a fan. Knights Of Malta is an abomination though. Could Corgan not have have used a guitar for the 'woah' s instead of his voice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Yeah it's okay, I think the length of it stopped it to becoming an effort tbh.

It doesn't sound like a band though I know it's often debated how much input the original members had in earlier releases but those albums until Adore came along did have the feel of an oiled unit. Jimmy Chamberlain I mean with the exception of certainly 'Solara' and perhaps one other track he may as well be a drum machine. There is the presence of 3 guitarists credited on here too, sorry what?

'Knights of Malta' think after a few listens I'll defo never grasp that one, the woo woo woo is just silly it made me laugh when walking in public though. Everything else on there don't have a bad word to say about it but at the same time it's unlikely I'll be returning to it in any regularity.

In 'With Sympathy' what's with the lyric "Tis the secret of the Irishman" actually thought the chorus was "It's for the love of Ireland" the first time I heard it :D

It's not bad. Its not amazing...

Ha I'd began typing my post up only saw yours when I posted, seems I've achieved in sounding off like a right copycat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What is that stupid noise in Knights of Malta, and how did nobody stop this from ending up on the record? It's a perfectly fine song, ruined by whatever the hell that is.

Its not alone, the whole thing is farce and I havent even listened to it:pac:

Awoo woo woo woo woo woo...

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

There's something about Billy's voice being too far forward in the mix or too in your face the last few records. In their heyday it was way mellower sounding and back in the mix a bit with the guitars to the fore. It just takes me out of the record too often these days.

• Advertisement

There's something about Billy's voice being too far forward in the mix or too in your face the last few records. In their heyday it was way mellower sounding and back in the mix a bit with the guitars to the fore. It just takes me out of the record too often these days.

It's a pretty well known issue among the fans. His vocals have been different from Zwan onwards, with a few exceptions. He's been essentially singing with a fuller voice, adding a lot of vibrato to the end of every line, and often every phrase. This coupled with the fact that his voice is being mixed a lot higher with no effects on it gives the music a different sound.

He's very touchy about it too. He's been asked about it many times on his IG Q&As and he gets his back up about it. He maintains he can still sing the old way and sometimes does onstage "for fun".

He also claims that the reason the voice is mixed so high is so they can be "competitive" - as if a radio station is going to play SP alongside Drake and all that! He should concentrate on making the best music, on an album, that his fans will listen to and enjoy.

But no. Billy being Billy.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

It's a pretty well known issue among the fans. His vocals have been different from Zwan onwards, with a few exceptions. He's been essentially singing with a fuller voice, adding a lot of vibrato to the end of every line, and often every phrase. This coupled with the fact that his voice is being mixed a lot higher with no effects on it gives the music a different sound.

He's very touchy about it too. He's been asked about it many times on his IG Q&As and he gets his back up about it. He maintains he can still sing the old way and sometimes does onstage "for fun".

He also claims that the reason the voice is mixed so high is so they can be "competitive" - as if a radio station is going to play SP alongside Drake and all that! He should concentrate on making the best music, on an album, that his fans will listen to and enjoy.

But no. Billy being Billy.

Yeah it's a shame because there have been a lot of potentially great tracks ruined by this.

Yeah it's a shame because there have been a lot of potentially great tracks ruined by this.

Every track he's recorded since 2003 you mean? :)

Billy is playing a solo show in The Olympia in June. All seated.

At €70 a ticket, he can forget about it.

At €70 a ticket, he can forget about it.

My thoughts exactly more than double the cost of Glasgow show too, he can keep it!

No interest at all in hearing Billy solo at whatever price.

Compared to wembley ..:pac: Pumpkins are a spent force cashing in on their remaining fame

Advertisement