Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar Panels

• 28-11-2018 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering how much do they cost and whether there is any financial supports available?. Does one require planning permission?. Also does a lot of heat go up chimneys through the opening?. Is it an idea to close it and use an artificial fire?.
    Thoughts appreciated,
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering how much do they cost and whether there is any financial supports available?. Does one require planning permission?. Also does a lot of heat go up chimneys through the opening?. Is it an idea to close it and use an artificial fire?.
    Thoughts appreciated,
    S

My only thought actually is WTF?

What do you mean when you refer to chimneys ?

Solar panels for what ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP your asking several questions here.

1. Solar panels for a domestic dwelling are exempt from planning under a certain size array and % of roof space

2. Costs vary on size of solar array.

3. Pay back is still off putting for some, but if just take a few minutes to read a round the forum the regular posters have answered all of these questions over an over again

4. Chimneys: yes recommend installing a stove or even a door on the fire place.

5. Electric fire? I wouldn’t bother

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

My only thought actually is WTF?

What do you mean when you refer to chimneys ?

Solar panels for what ?

Go easy, not everyone is familiar with the renewable forums lingo or etiquette

BryanF wrote: »
    Go easy, not everyone is familiar with the renewable forums lingo or etiquette

Apologies OP!

To add someting usefull to my firsts post,

SEAI give grants for solar pv (if your house is pre 2011), and solar thermal.

The planning requirements are I think 12sqm you are ok, and above that you need planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 panman2019

SEAI do grants up to 3800 (€700) per KW up to 4KW, €1000 back for battery storage. Chat to lads about costs and look at your energy use for the year that will give you an idea on whether you want just electricty, just hot water, or both. If your a farmer you can get TAMS grant of up to 60 % if your green cert farmer under 40 and in first 5 years of farming, get vat back too and if your set up as a company you can get vat back and depreciate the full cost of system in year 1. PM me if you want to find out more, i have 3KW on my house with battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

The planning requirements are I think 12sqm you are ok, and above that you need planning.

An Bord Pleanála has overturned a decision from Limerick City and County Council that blocked a resident from covering her roof with solar panels.

https://greennews.ie/landmark-planning-rooftop-solar/

It's now very unlikely that any county council will bring you to court for putting more that the 12sq metres up on your roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Indeed. That was great news. Fair play to the lady to take the case all the way. She paved a way for us all. And the cherry on the cake is that she plastered the front (road facing) side of her roof with panels. I don't have PP myself, but none of my panels are visible from the public road. Might stick more panels on my north facing roof too if they go down in price a little bit more :)

Advertisement