Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Distributor rebuild/servicjng

Options
  • 28-11-2018 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello,

Recently sent my 1981 BMW E21 (320-6) in for a timing belt, and while in there it was noticed the distributor shaft had some play in it. Thus the timing had to be advanced slightly to get it running. It’s something I’d like to rectify ASAP, although I’ve been told it won’t do any harm, but a new dizzie is 550-600!

Is there anywhere in Ireland (Dublin or midlands preferably) that could service a distributor? Or is it just a consumable?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

https://www.123ignitionshop.com/gb/bmw/224-123bmw4rvie.html
    This is what you really need or if you're feeling really flush you could go for the Bluetooth version.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Doesn’t seem to be suitable for a carb M20.. have you used these before? Seems like a good idea to get rid of the gremlins that are usually involved adjusting these!

Doesn’t seem to be suitable for a carb M20.. have you used these before? Seems like a good idea to get rid of the gremlins that are usually involved adjusting these!

A friend of mine has a Bluetooth one in his fulvia. It's an excellent piece of kit with an app for youre smart phone that allows you to advance and retard the ignition curve and also immobilise the car. I use a pertronix ignitor but that is just a sensor that replaces the points so won't eliminate the issue you have.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Doesn’t seem to be suitable for a carb M20.. have you used these before?

If 123ignition themselves don't do a unit, Hebels British Sportscars will put the 123ignition electronic guts into whatever housing you give them.

http://www.123ignition-conversions.nl/

Won't be cheap though.

You should be able to get someone somewhere to rebush it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Just following up on my findings.

Went with a UK crowd called H and H ignitions. Very good service, the unit came back in perfect condition. I’m not affiliated, just letting people know.

Thanks

Advertisement