Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo Peace Park observations

Options
  • 21-11-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

Hi - I am writing this here as Castlebar.ie is no more.

I went to the peace park yesterday and straight up I will lay my cards on the table.

I don't agree with it politics. Within living memory the British army have committed unforgivable atrocities in Ireland.

However - I congratulate the people who brought the whole project about, it is a credit and humbling.

In the spirit of a modern progressive inclusive Ireland why is there no plaque to commemorate the the Republican's IRB, OIRA, PIRA, RIRA etc.

I note the lines of who is commemorated is blurred, there is plaques to commemorate, Order of Malta, An Garda Siochana and many more not involved in World Wars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

6541 wrote: »

I went to the peace park yesterday and straight up I will lay my cards on the table.

I don't agree with it politics. Within living memory the British army have committed unforgivable atrocities in Ireland.

However - I congratulate the people who brought the whole project about, it is a credit and humbling.

In the spirit of a modern progressive inclusive Ireland why is there no plaque to commemorate the the Republican's IRB, OIRA, PIRA, RIRA etc.

I note the lines of who is commemorated is blurred, there is plaques to commemorate, Order of Malta, An Garda Siochana and many more not involved in World Wars.

the ira arent innocent either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Agreed but the freedom we enjoy is because of IRA.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

[Mod Note] MOVING: Looks like more a political discussion than Mayo specific. And might get more responses in the Politics thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/towns-villages/castlebar/visitors-guide/mayo-peace-park.html

I don't understand your problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Maybe because we would rather not commemorate organisations that planted bombs in civilian facilities such as the pubs in Birmingham, murdered unarmed Gardai (some Mayo born) and generally cost the country millions in security costs, loss of tourism and most importantly loss of life

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

I am saying that if it is a peace park it should include IRA Vol's.

Edgware wrote: »
    Maybe because we would rather not commemorate organisations that planted bombs in civilian facilities such as the pubs in Birmingham, murdered unarmed Gardai (some Mayo born) and generally cost the country millions in security costs, loss of tourism and most importantly loss of life

Maybe we shouldn't commemorate people that killed innocent people in the Dublin / Monaghan Bombings, Bloody Sunday, Ballymurphy massacre.

The IRA created this state. All I ask for is equality, it is a peace park, include the Irish Vol's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Came up on another thread. We should remember the British soldiers who fell. Let bygones be bygones and look forward despite any atrocities, collusion with terrorists, internment. But not the IRA, because...something. We'd a state funeral for DeValera and Haughey, so it can't be an issue of ethics.

I am saying that if it is a peace park it should include IRA Vol's.

From the article I posted:

"There is also a special memorial dedicated in memory of all those who died for Irish Freedom in the park."

That would include those old IRA volunteers.

Yes, the Provos would be excluded, but they were neither fighting a war nor dying for Irish freedom.

blanch152 wrote: »
    From the article I posted:

"There is also a special memorial dedicated in memory of all those who died for Irish Freedom in the park."

That would include those old IRA volunteers.

Yes, the Provos would be excluded, but they were neither fighting a war nor dying for Irish freedom.

That is your opinion which you are entitled to. My opinion is the Provo's helped create the peace and freedom that we enjoy on this island today and should be commemorated in the park.

The British army is commemorated in the park, they bombed Dublin and Monaghan killed loads in Derry and Ballymurphy.

All I ask for is equality and not a hierarchy.

• Advertisement

That is your opinion which you are entitled to. My opinion is the Provo's helped create the peace and freedom that we enjoy on this island today and should be commemorated in the park.

The British army is commemorated in the park, they bombed Dublin and Monaghan killed loads in Derry and Ballymurphy.

All I ask for is equality and not a hierarchy.

The British Army is not commemorated in the park. Local people who died while fighting for the British Army are commemorated. There is a clear distinction.

Would it be easier for you if we just put a plaque for Frank Stagg, Sean McNeela and Michael Gaughan as opposed to all the Provisional's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

We celebrated Redmond and he was encouraging people sign up for the war to end all wars, never again and so on.
    Basically, if people are genuine about moving forward and all that it has to be all inclusive otherwise it's a sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Peace parks etc are a political correct bull**** charade to make people feel pious about something they chances arebnever directly effected them either way.

Advertisement