Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkey

• 25-11-2018 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

Where are you all getting your Turkeys from this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I buy from my local butcher

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I usually get a free range bronze one from Lidl. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Local butchers - he runs a club all year round so I do have it paid for well in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Can't wait. With hapes of stuffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

We usually but from local butcher but this year we're thinking of having roast beef for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Got a couple of the XXL's in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Mine is just outside roaming around the place like a boss for the last 14 weeks.

She's got a few friends for company, they're like ostrich's the size they're after getting.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Mine is just outside roaming around the place like a boss for the last 14 weeks.

She's got a few friends for company, they're like ostrich's the size they're after getting.

If only she realized her fate.

Gael23 wrote: »
    If only she realized her fate.

If she knew what I have planned she'd be gone down that lane and off down the road like the road runner.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Local butcher for us for both Turkey & ham. Getting the turkey bones & rolled again this year as it was a huge success last year.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

DvB wrote: »
    Local butcher for us for both Turkey & ham

We do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Aldi..Can't fault the free range they have. Have tried many turkeys and have also reared our own over the years but have to say..Aldis' turkeys are as good as any..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maria_F81

weetiepie wrote: »
    Aldi..Can't fault the free range they have. Have tried many turkeys and have also reared our own over the years but have to say..Aldis' turkeys are as good as any..

Was going to try the Aldi one ourselves this year. Are they all stuffed or can you get ones without? I'd rather my own stuffing, so that's the only thing putting me off!

Maria_F81 wrote: »
    Was going to try the Aldi one ourselves this year. Are they all stuffed or can you get ones without? I'd rather my own stuffing, so that's the only thing putting me off!

No they the majority are stuffing free. I think it may only be crowns etc that are stuffed. I prefer making my own stuffings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They are advertising two in their brochure

Both available from Dec 20th

4-4.9kg
    Exquisite Irish free range outdoor reared slow growing bronze whole turkey (literally a mouthful)

5-5.9kg
    Large free range bronze whole Irish turkey

Sort of prices per kg will these be does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,132 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We look around at various supermarkets and butchers and see which looks best.
    We'd never book one encase we got landed with a bad looking one.
    We got the bone and rolled one for Easter a few years ago and found it disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

We look around at various supermarkets and butchers and see which looks best.
    We'd never book one encase we got landed with a bad looking one.
    We got the bone and rolled one for Easter a few years ago and found it disappointing.

I'd be the same, has to be the full bird for the flavour for me. Usually just stuff the neck and make some separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Local butcher for both turkey and ham. Ordered at the weekend - collect on Christmas Eve. No queuing or worrying about them being in stock or storing them for days before the big day.

We got ours from a butchers online store last year. Came in an insulated cool box so will likely use again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

We got ours from a butchers online store last year. Came in an insulated cool box so will likely use again this year

Got a link for the above?

Got a turkey crown in Dunnes last year. Alot went to waste despite my best efforts. Brother was convinced I bought it cooked

• Advertisement

matchthis wrote: »

Got a turkey crown in Dunnes last year. Alot went to waste despite my best efforts. Brother was convinced I bought it cooked

http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/products.php?cat=Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

matchthis wrote: »

James whelan’s owned by Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hogans farm again for me, cant bate em. Free delivery if you spend over 100e so I always get a small ham too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

€82.50 for an 8kg turkey with James Whelan Butchers :eek:

Used to pay similar in the butchers for years, but last year got a cheap frozen one in Dunnes and then a half price one on Christmas Eve when Aldi were selling them off. Both were as nice as any in previous years. So I'll be doing similar this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Definitely local butcher. Got one from SuperValu a couple years back and it was disgusting. It was bone and rolled but looked like 2 different types of turkey meat and tasted horrible. Back to local butcher last year and amazing.

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Local butcher for both turkey and ham. Ordered at the weekend - collect on Christmas Eve. No queuing or worrying about them being in stock or storing them for days before the big day.

This is what I miss about the local butchers. The fact that you can collect christmas eve and the no stress of trying to store a turkey in an already full fridge for up to 5 days before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,132 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is what I miss about the local butchers. The fact that you can collect christmas eve and the no stress of trying to store a turkey in an already full fridge for up to 5 days before hand.

My local Super-Valu does this even Tesco would if you met somebody you knew.

Suppose they have met their maker by now?

Suppose they have met their maker by now?

Yep, plucked and hanging waiting to be cleaned out tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 OUTOFCONTROL

We get our Turkey and a Loin of Bacon from the Isle of Man.

Advertisement