Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Options
  • 19-10-2018 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

The recent models of the Outlander look like amazing machines. Nice looking vehicles with hybrid options. They seem like good value too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, we have one since February. Very useful family vehicle. Kids, bikes, their friends, dog etc. ABout 50k electric range. We primarily use it as an EV, put our second fill of petrol ever into it last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

pwurple wrote: »
    Yes, we have one since February. Very useful family vehicle. Kids, bikes, their friends, dog etc. ABout 50k electric range. We primarily use it as an EV, put our second fill of petrol ever into it last week.

What’s it like to park? Is it very big for say your average car park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

KevinCavan wrote: »

It's the first car I've had with a rear view camera. This makes it much easier for me to park than any other car I've ever driven, regardless of size.

KevinCavan wrote: »

Seems fine, cannot think of any parking problem we had, and we are city drivers, used to parallel parking etc. I drove a van for years, no center mirror even in those with the bulkhead. Outlander has massive mirrors, plus central one and rear camera, it’s a piece of piss compared to a van.

Still though, asking that question makes me think you are a nervous Parker. It’s a big vehicle alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Seems fine, cannot think of any parking problem we had, and we are city drivers, used to parallel parking etc. I drove a van for years, no center mirror even in those with the bulkhead. Outlander has massive mirrors, plus central one and rear camera, it’s a piece of piss compared to a van.

Still though, asking that question makes me think you are a nervous Parker. It’s a big vehicle alright.

I’ve only ever had saloon cars up to now, so was thinking it would be a step up regarding parking. I’m sure I’d get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Wondering could anyone provide some advice or a steer on our shortlist .....

We are in the process of buying and are down to a couple of options

2015 Gx4h with 53k miles or 2016 gx3h+ 35k miles

Slight difference in the price but both within budget

My thinking is to go with the newer model as the battery warranty is extended to 8 years and the standard 100k 5 year for everything else, alot less mileage and it really is a nicer machine. However the 2015 is also a really nice car and it It does have all the extra kit ????

The 2016 + has full leather but I'm not sure does it have electric heater or app connectivity. No sat nav

Decisions decisions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have driven both and went with the 4h

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

whacker00 wrote: »
    Wondering could anyone provide some advice or a steer on our shortlist .....

We are in the process of buying and are down to a couple of options

2015 Gx4h with 53k miles or 2016 gx3h+ 35k miles

Slight difference in the price but both within budget

My thinking is to go with the newer model as the battery warranty is extended to 8 years and the standard 100k 5 year for everything else, alot less mileage and it really is a nicer machine. However the 2015 is also a really nice car and it It does have all the extra kit ????

The 2016 + has full leather but I'm not sure does it have electric heater or app connectivity. No sat nav

Decisions decisions :)

I've had a 2016 3h since July and am really enjoying it. The only thing I really miss from a 4h is the remote app that would allow me to set a timer for charging, pre-heat the seats, etc. Other than that, I have Google/Apple Maps on my phone, so the lack of satnav isn't an issue.

The 2016 model looks better, right??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

iniall wrote: »
    I've had a 2016 3h since July and am really enjoying it. The only thing I really miss from a 4h is the remote app that would allow me to set a timer for charging, pre-heat the seats, etc. Other than that, I have Google/Apple Maps on my phone, so the lack of satnav isn't an issue.

The 2016 model looks better, right??

I have a 2015 GX4H and the 2016 model was in budget but personally I'm not mad on the chrome facelift of the 16 model so went with the 15. Also the preheat timer is amazing on these recent colder fogged up mornings.

@iniall , I really do like the facelift , and the particular one we are looking at is black which goes really well with the nicer wheels

@sparrowcar , that's the really tempting thing, I think the heater and app wpuld be great

I need to check with the dealer again as the model we looked at was Gx3h+ and the H is for the heater I think but I'm not sure if it's actually the case

If it had the heater is a nice compromise between the two specs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

ABout 50k electric range.

Is this real world driving? I was considering one but i was talking to a chap recently who had a 151 he imported and said it's more like 20k or so which wouldn't really work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

numorouno wrote: »
    Is this real world driving? I was considering one but i was talking to a chap recently who had a 151 he imported and said it's more like 20k or so which wouldn't really work for me

I think it's more like 20 miles (32km).

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

The guessometer can show anywhere between about 40 and 58km after a full charge. I'd say I usually get around 40-45km of full electric, depending on driving conditions.

@sparrowcar , that's the really tempting thing, I think the heater and app wpuld be great.

Make sure you can get the app to work on your phone before you buy the car then. I installed it from the Google Play Store on a new Android phone recently and could not get it to work. I saw a lot of negative comments from other app users who said they had the same experience.

Fortunately for me, I have an Android tablet with an older version on it that still works. But it is annoying that no matter what I do, I can't get it going on my phone.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Make sure you can get the app to work on your phone before you buy the car then. I installed it from the Google Play Store on a new Android phone recently and could not get it to work. I saw a lot of negative comments from other app users who said they had the same experience.

Fortunately for me, I have an Android tablet with an older version on it that still works. But it is annoying that no matter what I do, I can't get it going on my phone.

Do you know if the pre-heat function is controlled via the app only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

gizmo555 wrote: »

Defo make sure on the app if you are on Android. There are 3 official versions of the app in the market... All depends on the variant you buy. 2 versions work with recent Android versions and look to be updated fairly ok. The 3rd version is old and only works on a very old version of Android.

I almost bought a facelift version of a 3h+ but that only worked with the old app. Also in the 3h+ there is no centre console screen where you can set timers... So it ended my interest.

The 4h has the app and the console available for setting charge and preheat timers... If that's important to you better be safe and go for the 4h and not rely on the app

In the end I got an ampera - no app with that but you can use start a preheat using the key fob, a better solution imho

No, it can be set to start by timer. But there's a design flaw to this which results in the main use I make of the app.

You can also set a charging timer so, even if plugged into the chargepoint, the car won't begin charging until the set time. I use this to prevent the car from starting to charge until after the night rate electricity tariff is in effect - 11pm at this time of year.

But if you use the charging timer and the pre-heat timer, the pre-heating takes its energy from the battery only, not from the chargepoint, even though it's plugged in. This can take up to 10% off the battery charge level.

So, what I do is set the charging timer, plug in the chargepoint, and after 11pm using the app from inside my house, override the charging timer setting and start the charging. This results in the charging being done at the night rate, but in the morning the pre-heat takes its energy from the chargepoint and not the battery

Thanks for all the advice nuggets and input here over the last few days. Also some great information in other threads

We pulled the trigger on 2016 version and collecting tomorrow - can't wait

We are not eligible for the home charger due to not having the car parked on a driveway. We are in an estate with the car directly outside the house so will use the granny charging for the time being until I research options.

We also spoke to SEAI and they have mentioned with the increases in demand there will need to be solutions in this area. If you look at all the new estates around the north part of Dublin for example , the majority are shared parking / on street solutions which would not be grand eligible

I might see what the management companies appetite for a couple of light pole charging stationswould be , :) like in DLR area of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

We also spoke to SEAI and they have mentioned with the increases in demand there will need to be solutions in this area. If you look at all the new estates around the north part of Dublin for example , the majority are shared parking / on street solutions which would not be grand eligible

That's good to know. It's not just a Dublin problem either, it's all over the country. In estates or apartment blocks where parking is communal, but there is at least one space for every unit it would be very simple to compel builders to number the spaces and run ducts out from the appropriate location.

n97 mini wrote: »
    That's good to know. It's not just a Dublin problem either, it's all over the country. In estates or apartment blocks where parking is communal, but there is at least one space for every unit it would be very simple to compel builders to number the spaces and run ducts out from the appropriate location.

The person we spoke to even asked us to take photos of our parking situation and they will add it to the file for the purpose of review and expansion of the scheme in future. It seemed like they may be in a proactive mindset here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

How would one fare out with one of these but not able to install a dedicated charging point at home?
    ie
    House on street with footpath between house and road.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

vectra wrote: »
    How would one fare out with one of these but not able to install a dedicated charging point at home?
    ie

That won't work. You'd open yourself up for liability in case someone trips over your cable.

If you have a dedicated parking space, you could have an electrician install a cable under the public foopath with a charging pedestal at your private parking space. Others like liamog on here have successfully done it. It ain't cheap though. Low 4 figure sum for labour I'd say.

vectra wrote: »
    ie

As I mentioned above we are in this scenario, it hasnt at all put us off buying. The footpath outside our house is very low traffic and the car will be directly outside the door so maybe a cable and protection mat might work. I'm going to research and maybe ask the management company for permission to cut a small channel in the pathway. There are a number of EV and PHEV in the estate so we will also look at what they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, it depends on if you bought the PHEV to get the most out of the fuel savings, or if you're happy just charging it a public points a couple times a week and still run on petrol quite a bit.
    Also check with work if you can charge during day at a regular outlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks for all the advice nuggets and input here over the last few days. Also some great information in other threads

We pulled the trigger on 2016 version and collecting tomorrow - in

Well...can you share the excitement please !?

rolion wrote: »
    Well...can you share the excitement please !?

Nearly two weeks in and absolutely loving every minute of it

Its really comfortable, perfect for the family and we absolutely love driving it in EV whenever possible as its such a smooth drive and so quiet .we have not been worried about economy etc for the first couple of weeks and have been really just enjoying getting used to the car

First fill of the tank today and from 60km remaining on the trip(no batt) it cost €53 to fill. All our city driving is always on battery so it will be a great car for our family. Also have a cross-country journey next week so it will be interesting to see how it performs on the motorway

My wife had never driven an automatic and she has found it really easy to get used to and also loves the car which is a big plus as initially she had been unsure

Esb card received only a week after applying and we have charged a couple of times on the public network, used a fast charger today 20mins and back to 80% really great setup. Charging with the granny cable through the window at home which is a little awkward but hopefully not for long until the management company review our proposal to install a charging unit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Nearly two weeks in and absolutely loving every minute of it

Its really comfortable, perfect for the family and we absolutely love driving it in EV whenever possible as its such a smooth drive and so quiet .we have not been worried about economy etc for the first couple of weeks and have been really just enjoying getting used to the car

First fill of the tank today and from 60km remaining on the trip(no batt) it cost €53 to fill. All our city driving is always on battery so it will be a great car for our family. Also have a cross-country journey next week so it will be interesting to see how it performs on the motorway

My wife had never driven an automatic and she has found it really easy to get used to and also loves the car which is a big plus as initially she had been unsure

Esb card received only a week after applying and we have charged a couple of times on the public network, used a fast charger today 20mins and back to 80% really great setup. Charging with the granny cable through the window at home which is a little awkward but hopefully not for long until the management company review our proposal to install a charging unit
    Are you in a private estate? Took one for a test drive today and was told that as I was in a private estate and the cable would have to run over the pavement to my parking space (directly outside my house) that it would invalidate my grant for a home charger

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

duploelabs wrote: »
    Are you in a private estate? Took one for a test drive today and was told that as I was in a private estate and the cable would have to run over the pavement to my parking space (directly outside my house) that it would invalidate my grant for a home charger

They are correct. If you only have on street parking you wont get the home charge point grant.
    The EV must be parked on an off-street parking location associated with the home and the charger must be connected back to the fuse board of the home of the applicant.

https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

We drive a real EV as well, the last 4 years, so yes, this is real range. We generally drive around the city with a lot of regen on, don't use the heating much etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

KCross wrote: »
    They are correct. If you only have on street parking you wont get the home charge point grant.
    The EV must be parked on an off-street parking location associated with the home and the charger must be connected back to the fuse board of the home of the applicant.

https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/

Well I am aware of what's written on their website, however according to my insurance company, as it's a private parking space in a private estate it counts as off-street parking, hence I asked if the seai grants took this interpretation

Advertisement