Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam DVD

• 19-11-2018 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Anybody know if there are any plans to release a dvd for the Grand Slam in 2018?
    Christmas is coming and I don't see any mention of one anywhere.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

daddy pig wrote: »
    Anybody know if there are any plans to release a dvd for the Grand Slam in 2018?
    Christmas is coming and I don't see any mention of one anywhere.

Would have thought it would be out now of there was....the IRFU have a glossy picture book out but covers a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I have to say with internet now I rarely watch DVDs. Those I have with highlights of rugby internationals I can virtually all see on Youtube.

I have to say with internet now I rarely watch DVDs. Those I have with highlights of rugby internationals I can virtually all see on Youtube.

Same. I built my current PC around 4 years ago and at that point I didn't bother with a DVD / Blueray player. Have given away my entire DVD collection as I've digital copies of everything now.

I'd have considered it just about dead as a technology back then so not surprising that there is much of an appetite now. Those RTE series covering the November internationals are as close as you can get but given they don't have rights to the 6N anymore then we mightn't be seeing alternatives as TV3 are probably too cheap to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Those RTE series covering the November internationals are as close as you can get but given they don't have rights to the 6N anymore then we mightn't be seeing alternatives as TV3 are probably too cheap to bother.

DVD/Movie rights would be owned by the Six Nations and not the broadcasters locally. You are right about the move away from having physical media copies of the games, though there would presumably still be a demand for such sales; you can't exactly say "Happy Christmas, heres a Youtube link of the game" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

DVD/Movie rights would be owned by the Six Nations and not the broadcasters locally. You are right about the move away from having physical media copies of the games, though there would presumably still be a demand for such sales; you can't exactly say "Happy Christmas, heres a Youtube link of the game" :)

Much cheaper though you'll agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

These DVDs make great stocking fillers so they'd shift alright, but didn't RTE stop making DVDs?

YouTube is great but you never know when a video is going to get yanked.

My preference now is always digital downloads. I haven't bought a physical copy of a movie, game or album in the guts of a decade I'd say at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I watch all my rugby on vinyl now. Just so much more authentic than digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,552 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I heard the Ireland rugby team were suppsoe to be a subject of another Amazon Fly on the wall series but refused to do it as it could give away secrets etc. TBH really enjoyed the recent fly on the wall docs (2016 South Africa tour and 2016 Autumn Internationals) and would love to see one on the this years games

Nowadays dont really buy many DVDs but would buy sport/music titles and would deff buy a rugby dvd if one came out. They are great stocking fillers and some people prefer the old fashioned DVDs instead of Youtube/online streaming etc

Advertisement