Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scuzz closing down

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So what was the last song?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,618 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Christmas Hits.

Is ‘Sonne’ by Rammstein a Christmas Hit? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I gave up on Scuzz when I first saw Hollywood Undead featured.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Awww, now what I'll stick on when down at the folks. Found some bands I liked through it...and apparently I'm on of the few here who was fine with having some Paramore or Fall Out Boy on :D

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

It introduced me to Rock/Metal when we got Sky in 2005, that was before Youtube got big so it was the only way of seeing music videos (as far as I knew anyway). I remember it was always heavier than Kerrang back then, it introduced me to bands like Trivium, Slipknot and Evanescence. I noticed it changed since then and was full of pop punk music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

There were no glory days of nu-metal.

A nu-metal band is headlining Download next year, when people think of Nu-Metal they think of Limp Bizkit but it goes a lot deeper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

A nu-metal band is headlining Download next year, when people think of Nu-Metal they think of Limp Bizkit but it goes a lot deeper than that.
    Crap bands headline crap festivals all the time. It's nothing new.

Nu-metal was indeed very popular for a period. But with the exception of Deftones, and perhaps the first two SOAD albums, it was anything but glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

"nu metal" had its glory days but they predate Scuzz by a good 5-7 years.

Whether "nu metal" is a subset of metal / hard rock that stands the test of time or was much use to begin with is a different conversation altogether.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I watched Scuzz for the first two years and gave up after that. Kerrang and MTV2 also went downhill fast around the same time. Not long after MTV2 was no more and Kerrang was removed from Irish Sky customers.

The only metal on TV which really meant something for me was MTV Europe's Headbangers Ball back in the early to mid 1990s with Vanessa Warwick. The Friday Rock Show on VH1 was the next and last metal show on TV that was really good.

Headbanger's Ball evolved into the far inferior SuperRock and that didn't last long, then MTV just stopped playing music in general.

Scuzz of course arrived during the digital TV era, well after Headbangers Ball, SuperRock and the Friday Rock Show were finished. What I didn't like about all these 'dedicated' rock and metal channels was they just consisted on an average selection of a playlist and there was never any surprises, you always knew what video came next and it was the same list of videos often for weeks on end.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    The only metal on TV which really meant something for me was MTV Europe's Headbangers Ball back in the early to mid 1990s with Vanessa Warwick
    ^ this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ITV used to have a good rock show on very late Friday night/early a Saturday morning around then too. Hosted by a guy called Krusher I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Heart tv, capital tv among others are gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

ITV used to have a good rock show on very late Friday night/early a Saturday morning around then too. Hosted by a guy called Krusher I think.

Raw Power?

Saw some great music on that.

Ah yes, that was decent too.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Noisy Mothers? It may have replaced Raw Power, or vice versa

EDIT: Raw Power came first https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_Power_(TV_series) with Krusher's Kouch and then Krusker's Kosmos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

That Metal Show on VH1 was great for about 2 seasons until it became plainly obvious the guys had a very refined taste when it came to rock music.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭hellyeah

byte wrote: »
    Noisy Mothers? It may have replaced Raw Power, or vice versa

EDIT: Raw Power came first https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_Power_(TV_series) with Krusher's Kouch and then Krusker's Kosmos

Noisy mothers, used to set the vhs for that one. As said discovered great music on that show.
    Rock hard, rock heavy, rock animal! Haha.
    Class show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Roanmore wrote: »
    Raw Power?

Saw some great music on that.

I just about remember that show, I was still going to school at the time and I used to record it, this was before we got satellite and MTV. I remembered they introduced for the first time ever and premiered a relatively unknown brazillian band 'Sepultura' with 'Inner self'. I watched it the next mornng in disbelief and played the song over and over till the tape wore out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

This brings back memories

• Advertisement
Advertisement