Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 - a new low for Hollywood originality?

• 13-11-2018 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭

This has definitely been the decade in which studios decided to only back 'proven IP' over stars/directors/original concepts. Sure there have been some great success stories in recent years from relatively low-budget films (Get Out, A Quiet Place) but in general, the likes of Disney aren't about to mess with their formula (Star Wars sequels/MCU sequels/live-action remakes of their animation classics) any time soon.

So here's a list of remakes and sequels for next year, in order of their release. Enjoy!

Reboots/Remakes/TV Adaptations:
    The Upside (remake of The Intouchables)
    Jacob's Ladder
    What Men Want
    Dumbo
    Pet Sematary
    Hellboy
    Aladdin
    MIB
    Shaft
    Grudge
    Child's Play
    The Lion King
    Dora the Explorer
    Downton Abbey
    Joker
    The Addams Family
    Charlie's Angels
    Cats

Sequels:
    Glass (sequel to Unbreakable + Split)
    The Lego Movie 2
    Happy Death Day 2U
    How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
    Farmageddon: A Shaun the Sheep Movie
    Avengers 4
    John Wick 3: Parabellum
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters
    Dark Phoenix
    The Secret Life of Pets 2
    Toy Story 4
    47 Meters Down: The Next Chapter
    Untitled Annabelle sequel
    Spider-Man: Far From Home
    The Angry Birds Movie 2
    It: Chapter Two
    Zombieland Too
    Terminator 6
    Kingsman 3
    Frozen 2
    Jumanji 3
    Star Wars Episode IX

Of course, there are some big budget, original/new to cinemas IP next year (Shazam, Alita: Battle Angel, Captain Marvels, 17 Bridges, Detective Pikachu, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Artemis Fowl, The New Mutants, Gemini Man, Sonic the Hedgehog) but yikes, they are outnumbered!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Mixed feelings on the list. Sure, it's not great to see so much cashing in on popular properties but there's some movies in that list I'll be checking out, if not actively looking forward to...

- I loved the original Hellboy movies and am really looking forward to a reboot.
    - Childs Play has me intrigued. It's one of those movies that freaked me out as a child but it's dated terribly.
    - Joker could be brilliant or absolutely terrible.
    - Glass... looks at least somewhat original and a nice mash of two previous movies.
    - The MCU, X-Men, Star Wars stuff are juggernauts of their own and plenty of people enjoy them.
    - John Wick. Loved the first 2, pretty sure I'm gonna love this one :)
    - Toy Story. The one kiddie sequel I would have hope for.
    - IT. The one horror movie on the list worth waiting for. I don't consider it a stereotypical Hollywood sequel though. It's "part 2" of King's novel.

On the other end of the spectrum...
    - Godzilla. Feels like a last ditch attempt at that "Monsters" universe. First one was ok, Kong was ok... this will probably be... ok.
    - Dumbo, Aladdin, Lion King, Addams Family, Dora, LEGO, Pets, Angry Birds, Train your Dragon, Farmageddon, Frozen, Jumanji are all gonna be by-the-numbers kiddie cash in fodder of varying levels of quality/entertainment.
    - WTF is Grudge getting another reboot for.
    - Ditto MIB... though that potentially could be fun.
    - Shaft... why :confused:
    - Downton Abbey... why :confused:
    - Charlies Angels... why :confused:
    - Cats... seriously? :pac:
    - Terminator 6. Just kill that franchise already.
    - I'm personally not a fan of horror but it's rarely been a genre filled with originality (from Hollywood at least). Even Zombieland ran out of steam on its premise about halfway through, so I'm not sure what a sequel will add.
    - Never seen the Kingsman movies

Some of the movies you class as "original/new" don't inspire much either to be honest if debating the originality of Hollywood...

- Shazam, Captain Marvel, New Mutants... all comic book movies
    - Detective Pikachu going back to the Pokemon well
    - Sonic the Hedgehog. Bottom of the barrel game to movie cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,787 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Isn't there a new Fast & Furious due as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

The thing on that list that leaves me utterly bewildered is that 47 Metres down has got a sequel :eek::confused:

El Duda wrote: »
    The thing on that list that leaves me utterly bewildered is that 47 Metres down has got a sequel :eek::confused:

.... and that they didn't call it 48 Meters Down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Traditionally one waits until the cinematic year is over before the "OMG, worst ever" threads start :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Isn't there a new Fast & Furious due as well?

A spin-off, Hobbs and Shaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why would anyone be against a sequel to Shawn the sheep?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I can understand people being jaded with remakes and reboots (even though there's a certain appetite there) but there is nothing whatsoever wrong with sequels, the most natural progression imaginable to a popular and successful film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

There seems to be similar lists every year but I still believe there's enough original material to supplement the odd existing project that could be decent.

Original movies from Tarantino, Rodriguez, Scorcese, Korine, Cornish, Liman, Mangold, Merchant, Peele, Johnson, Lee, Branagh, Waititi, Norton and plenty more.

Add in the arrival of some new talent and it could be an excellent year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Does it matter? I mean, even back when there were less sequels and remakes, were the films actually more original? Lesser genre films in the 80s and 90s and earlier could be carbon copies of one another despite having different titles and being based on supposedly original screenplays. Maybe now they are just more honest?

• Advertisement

I can understand people being jaded with remakes and reboots (even though there's a certain appetite there) but there is nothing whatsoever wrong with sequels, the most natural progression imaginable to a popular and successful film.

Yeah I agree. Its the reboots thats the issue, and the 'rehash' of writing eg. bad guy loses to superhero thats the problem. Im all for sequels if the first is good enough. We would never have had hover boards otherwise!

Counter point. Terminator 6.

;)

What annoys me is the recent trend of making sequels that ignore the rubbish ones.

I paid to see Halloween H20. If you're gonna write it out of existence, shouldn't I get my money back? It is basically hollywood execs admitting that they churn ****e out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Bacchus wrote: »
    Counter point. Terminator 6.

;)

This one actually has a great director at the helm and they seem like they give a **** this time.

I'm hopeful.....:pac:

This one actually has a great director at the helm and they seem like they give a **** this time.

I'm hopeful.....:pac:

... but 5 will always suck so hard, and everything since T2 has been a shadow of it's former greatness.

Also, I had to google the director. He has one movie behind him and while that movie is great, it's mostly great because of Ryan Reynolds not some directorial flair. I also see Goyer is writing the screenplay which doesn't inspire hope for a return to the glory days of the franchise. Anyway, this is a chat for another thread :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Some of the items on that list, like the "Happy Death Day" sequel, are hardly blockbuster behemoths; being as it is a Blumhouse production the bar for success there was always going to be a low one. While looking at the remake pile, the likes of the Joker or Hellboy films could be interesting simply by dint of them trying new avenues or approaches.

Equally: what about Amazon / Netflix? You can debate the merits and quality levels of their own productions, but both are producing plenty of their own productions; just this this month we have Outlaw King, and the latest Coen Brothers films on Netflix.

There are tonnes of films coming out on digital platforms, there never has been such choice for the audience, it just requires a little extra legwork to find the diamonds in the rough.

The only good Terminator film they have made since Terminator 2 is The Guest.

Don't @ me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

El Duda wrote: »
    The only good Terminator film they have made since Terminator 2 is The Guest.

Don't @ me
    A friend recommended that movie to me. Some time around the bar fight scene, I texted him to suggest that Dan Stephens's character was living tissue over a metal endoskeleton. I think it's the synth-heavy score as much as the deliberately non-human vibe he's giving off, but you're not alone in making that connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

And the best thing about it all ??? No is one holding any one to ransom to watch them , bring them on , I'm looking forward to loads of them

And the best thing about it all ??? No is one holding any one to ransom to watch them , bring them on , I'm looking forward to loads of them
    While I agree with you more than not, there is an opportunity cost associated with them. If you aren't enamoured with those movies, the fact that they are bing made means other kinds of stories are not being funded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

There are certain genres that are always going to have a lot of sequels and remakes: Sci-fi/fantasy, action and horror movies in particular. If one only limits oneself to these genres then this is the norm. this is the reason these are all defines as "Franchises"

However, generally, outside of these genres, there is the usual variation. However there will always be new standout thrillers and dramas and comedies, new little startup franchises.

You are correct in that there is always some prevailing trend. Currently it is Sci-Fi/Superhero movies. As someone said before, in the 80s it was generic cop action movies. For every "Die-Hard" movie or "Lethal weapon" there was Samurai Cop etc. It wasn't all the golden age.

If there is one emerging trend that is concerning it's Disney remaking their animated back catalogue live action. Some are a good idea: They are stories that are not necessarily animation specific: Beauty and The Beast, Cinderella, The Jungle Book etc. But The Lion King? Really?

mikhail wrote: »
    While I agree with you more than not, there is an opportunity cost associated with them. If you aren't enamoured with those movies, the fact that they are bing made means other kinds of stories are not being funded.

I don't think your right there now more than ever there is multitude of platforms for new content coming out consistenly , Maybe you are right if your just talking about the cinema etc. but with multiple VOD platforms available , amazon ,netflix to name a few there is so much indie stuff out there , you just have to look for it and I love a wide range of stuff not just the ones been talked about here so there is stuff out there outside of the box office stuff well worth finding

I don't think your right there now more than ever there is multitude of platforms for new content coming out consistenly , Maybe you are right if your just talking about the cinema etc. but with multiple VOD platforms available , amazon ,netflix to name a few there is so much indie stuff out there , you just have to look for it and I love a wide range of stuff not just the ones been talked about here so there is stuff out there outside of the box office stuff well worth finding
    It's definitely a great time to distribute a small film. I'm definitely talking about films that require a 8-9 digit budget.

Even in the cinema this week

Bohemien Rhapsody (a biopic)

A Star is Born ( i wrote this one and i didn't even know it was a remake)

Overlord and Widows

the rest are cartoons

but thats 3 original films in just one week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I sort of think that looks like a standard year tbh. Fair few of those are inevitable sequels to rather good films. Majority of the ones on the list are unlikely to to make it onto the list for any movie awards etc. So the actually of note Hollywood films simply aren't listed more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Next up on the ohhhhhh lets desecrate something else list

The Never Ending Story

HANDS OFF MY CHILDHOOD HOLLYWOOD

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

All this garbage when there are 19 more Aubrey–Maturin books

Make more films

All this garbage when there are 19 more Aubrey–Maturin books
    19 and a half. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

not 2019 but kite flying rumours about a female led Pirates of the Caribbean reboot, have money to burn , cant be arsed buying a shredding machine?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Why would anyone be against a sequel to Shawn the sheep?!

I now want a fast and furious crossover with Aardman studios.

Hobbs and Shaun.

Advertisement