Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Will Christmas Day Be Like In Your House?

• 15-11-2018 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭

Well 'll be up around 6am Christmas morning as will the rest of the family. I'll start Christmas morning off by cooking a full Irish followed by the opening of the presents. As I have a large family most of the morning will be taking up tidying up after them. Then some family members will help decorate the table for Christmas dinner and also help prepare Christmas dinner while the rest of the family head out for a long walk before dinner.

Around 3pm we will all sit down for Christmas dinner and chat about love ones that are no longer with us. After lunch we usually watch a Christmas movie which more than likely will be Home Alone. For the rest of Christmas day some friends and neighbours will call over for a few drinks and some snacks.

So that's my Christmas day sorted will your's be the same or do you have something special planned for the day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Ours is very quiet. We'd get up about 8 and see Santa stuff, have breakfast and just sit around till it's time to get dinner ready. Neighbours may pop in on way to their family. Otherwise we wouldn't see anyone else. Have dinner about 4 and veg out in front of tv for the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Ghekko wrote: »
    Ours is very quiet. We'd get up about 8 and see Santa stuff, have breakfast and just sit around till it's time to get dinner ready. Neighbours may pop in on way to their family. Otherwise we wouldn't see anyone else. Have dinner about 4 and veg out in front of tv for the evening.

I suppose that's what Christmas day is all about families spending time together watching tv or falling asleep on the couh after stuffing themselves with Turkey. No harm in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Whoever gets up first lights all the candles and little lights so that it is lovely to come down to. Makes a pot of coffee.

We always have Buck's Fizz and croissants for breakfast. Rashers and eggs too.

Rest of the day - Mass with carols, present opening with family, gin and tonic, the best dinner of the year, and always parlour games of an evening: charades, board games, songs.

I perfectly love Christmas Day. :-) Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Up around 9 or so, usually my wife does breakfast of pancakes or something. This year we’re going to in-laws for dinner so will open our presents to each other then pack up the turkey and ham (plan to cook the turkey in the slow cooker this year overnight!) to bring over there. Dinner and presents there, then around 4 will probably grtnin the car and drive to see my family. It’s first Christmas with a new baby in the family so I want to be there before he goes down for the night. Cocktails and chat and sambos with my family will close out the night. Maybe a movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Probably at home or maybe at my dad's. Either way I'm happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well we have two young lads under 5 who aren't always the easiest to manage so the last few Christmas Days have just been relatively stressful... Certainly not relaxing. It's not like their behavior is going to be different just because it's Christmas Day and everyone is expecting happy families like an M&S ad.

I'm hoping the weather is good as I'll be getting them out of the house down to Portmarnock Strand for an hour or so in the morning..

Usually I go to great lengths doing dinner with all the trimmings but the last few times dinner have ended up being eaten amidst a general atmosphere of exhaustion and disappointment.

We'll keep trying though but to be honest I'm not overly optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well we have two young lads under 5 who aren't always the easiest to manage so the last few Christmas Days have just been relatively stressful... Certainly not relaxing. It's not like their behavior is going to be different just because it's Christmas Day and everyone is expecting happy families like an M&S ad.

I'm hoping the weather is good as I'll be getting them out of the house down to Portmarnock Strand for an hour or so in the morning..

Usually I go to great lengths doing dinner with all the trimmings but the last few times dinner have ended up being eaten amidst a general atmosphere of exhaustion and disappointment.

That all sounds dreadfully sad :(

GoneHome wrote: »

ah it's grand - it's just not all merriment and relaxation.. kids will be kids 365 days a year.

her folks are with us this year so that will help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

lawred2 wrote: »

Kindly-meant advice from a veteran: don't over-do it with preparations, it just leads to disappointment and exhaustion, and who benefits?
    Instead, bung a frozen turkey or large chicken into the freezer right now: pudding from Tesco, your family favourite ice-creams, box of chocs...etc - the minimum of work for the most fun.
    And do the stuff you enjoy most. Christmas celebrates the birth of a child, not some attempt to live up to any image. Leave out anything that is too much trouble; cheerful and simple is perfectly fine.
    Best of luck this year!

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Kindly-meant advice from a veteran: don't over-do it with preparations, it just leads to disappointment and exhaustion, and who benefits?
    Instead, bung a frozen turkey or large chicken into the freezer right now: pudding from Tesco, your family favourite ice-creams, box of chocs...etc - the minimum of work for the most fun.
    And do the stuff you enjoy most. Christmas celebrates the birth of a child, not some attempt to live up to any image. Leave out anything that is too much trouble; cheerful and simple is perfectly fine.
    Best of luck this year!

Way ahead of you :D

Turkey crown and a small ham with some veg

Avoca bought deserts

bingo bango

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've a young family so no such thing as a "typical" Xmas yet, hasn't been for 6 or 7 years at this stage. We're getting there though, creating our own family traditions is fun.

We'll get up whenever the kids wake up, probably between 7am and 8am, do the Santa thing for an hour or so. Then I'll cook up a big dirty veggie fry for everyone while the kids are running around like loonies.

Then get showered and dressed before the in-laws come over for an hour or two, to see the kids. After that I'll likely be making the dinner. where we'll be joined by my parents. Probably stick on a movie for the kids while they're waiting. Parents will probably stick around till 8 or 9, get the kids to bed and then collapse on the couch ourselves with some mince pies and wine, where we'll tell ourselves we're going to watch a movie but we'll probably end up watching a Xmas episode of Friends or something because it's 11 o'clock at night.

Xmas with small kids is relatively hard, my youngest is still a toddler, and there's no chance to relax. She's not going to suddenly become an angel for one day. So being able to sit on my hole in front of the TV and relax is a couple of years away yet, but it's still fun.

seamus wrote: »
    I've a young family so no such thing as a "typical" Xmas yet, hasn't been for 6 or 7 years at this stage. We're getting there though, creating our own family traditions is fun.

We'll get up whenever the kids wake up, probably between 7am and 8am, do the Santa thing for an hour or so. Then I'll cook up a big dirty veggie fry for everyone while the kids are running around like loonies.

Then get showered and dressed before the in-laws come over for an hour or two, to see the kids. After that I'll likely be making the dinner. where we'll be joined by my parents. Probably stick on a movie for the kids while they're waiting. Parents will probably stick around till 8 or 9, get the kids to bed and then collapse on the couch ourselves with some mince pies and wine, where we'll tell ourselves we're going to watch a movie but we'll probably end up watching a Xmas episode of Friends or something because it's 11 o'clock at night.

Xmas with small kids is relatively hard, my youngest is still a toddler, and there's no chance to relax. She's not going to suddenly become an angel for one day. So being able to sit on my hole in front of the TV and relax is a couple of years away yet, but it's still fun.

My three children have all grown up so Christmas for me and will be quieter than when they were young. I kind of miss seening the excitement on their faces when they would come down Christmas morning to see if Santa had brought them their special presents. What i don't miss is cleaning up after they had opened their presents.Half the day would be taken up and you would be wrecked before you even got started on Christmas dinner.

seamus wrote: »

perfect summation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Kids will get up around 7am, run downstairs to see if Santa has come, run back upstairs to wake us up. Open gifts together. Light fires. Get Turkey ready and put in oven. Clean up mess created by opening gifts. Have French Toast for Breakfast. Walk to Mass if dry (drive if wet). Prosecco after Mass with nibbles. Set up Dining Room Table. Finish cooking Dinner (starter, sides etc). Friends arrive with Kids. Have long dinner with lots of laughs and breaks between courses. Kids come and go from the Table. Relax in front of fire. Friends leave. Put kids to bed. Ignore mess. Relax in front of fire with nightcap.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GoneHome wrote: »
    I do get what lawred is saying here. You have these memories of Xmas gone by where you chilled out, had a laugh, watched a movie. After dinner, you'd all sit around playing games and chatting.

When the kids come along you go into Xmas expecting to still be able to do those things, but in reality you get snippets of "old" Christmas in between spending the entire day wiping hands, faces and arses. Sitting down for a chat for more than 3 minutes without being interrupted? Forget about it.

We made the same mistake, twice, of spending the kids' first Xmases staying overnight in the in-laws. Of course, in our heads we'd stick the baby up to bed at 8 o'clock and all the adults would then be able to have a bit of craic. In reality, both times the kids wouldn't settle, we spent the evening tag-teaming who go to go up and rock the baby to sleep, and got a sum total of 4 hours' sleep. Disaster.

It's not sad, you just had unrealistic expectations of what the day was going to be like.

Now that lawred has done it a couple of times and knows what to expect, he'll probably enjoy himself more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭gifted

3 chicks will wake up around 4...then 4.15...then 4.30..then.4.45....you get the picture....around 6 they'll succeed in getting us up lol lol.....open the pressies.( me asking herself what we got them behind their backs, lol lol )

Then it's food...food and toys and fire lighting all day....I love it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭jooksavage

My wife, little girl and I moved back in with my folks for a few months while our house is being built. Our girl will be 18 months on Christmas day so she'll still be too young for most of it register with her. Still, we've already bought her a few little presents. My wife is a nurse, will be working late Christmas eve, off on the 25th and then back on again for the rest of the week so we won't be heading up the country to see her folks. I expect it will be a quiet day: up at 7am (baby's usual time), feed the cattle, back in for Christmas pancakes, mass at 10.00, then back home for the dinner prep. The big feed will be around 3pm. Check the cattle and lock up yard at 6pm. Then chill out until Tiny's bedtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

natashaob6 wrote: »
    I'll start Christmas morning off by cooking a full Irish

A full irish?

Jaes, I wouldn't be able for my dinner after that :pac:

limnam wrote: »
    A full irish?

Jaes, I wouldn't be able for my dinner after that :pac:

You can't beat a full Irish on Christmas morning. I'll manage the Christmas dinner no problem. Sure isn't Christmas day all about stuffing your face and then nodding off on the couch for the rest of the day. Well it is in our house. Ah bring on the turkey and the sherry triffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Sure isn't Christmas day all about stuffing your face and then nodding off on the couch for the rest of the day.

Too right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Up before 9. Waffles or pancakes and pastries for breakfast, and a mimosa or 3 for me. Presents with my husband and then over to the in-laws. Drinks in one house and dinner in another. They tend to sit around the table for a looooonnnng time but this year we're starting a new tradition and moving to the couch whether they like it or not. :pac: Lots of lounging around, chatting and a few more drinks. Maybe some TV but usually not. It's quite a relaxing day in the in-laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

This year will be very different. The Plan is below but no idea what the actual day will be like.

We are early risers so should be up 6.30-7, bring the dog to the beach for a walk and some pics in the sun.
    Cook a full Irish, real treat here due to the lack of pork stuff, noted my OH will think it mad as we are going to a Christmas brunch later on but its more for the left over later that night as we won't have Christmas dinner leftovers.
    Back from the beach and have a cider or beer, get a taxi to the hotel for brunch 1-4pm with another couple who have two young kids.
    Back home for 4.30pm and the day is ours. Movies and skypes back to Ireland now that people are up and around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We've two smallies so will get up with them whenever they wake. Our eldest is 4 this year & more aware of Santy so might be up a bit earlier. Last year, she was very sick over Christmas & we didn't really have the excitement of Santy coming so I'm hoping for a better Christmas on the health front. Then we'll have a normal breakfast, head out to mass (if we don't go on Christmas Eve). We'll head over to my parents, then back & maybe have a quick cuppa with his (they live next door so we can't escape), then home and have the dinner just the 4 of us. Then chill out.

As others have said, our kids are quite small & kids will be kids so am still anticipating a relatively normally day of them killing each other while I try to pretend it's all going swimmingly :D We're making memories lol :D:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Well we will be up about 7 with our two.... I normally get up a bit before the kids and light the fires and have everything ready.

Coffee on and the likes.. kids come down and it’s great excitement. We have a special needs child who doesn’t really get the whole Christmas thing so we let him off to do his own thing, which can be a bit sad for us. He might eventually have a nose around his gifts but not big into toys and hates the change to his routine.

Then a small breakfast for us all. I normally have smoked salmon and eggs.
    We have a large enough extended family and take it in turns where we have Christmas dinner with each family cooking something for the dinner. So Christmas dinner is usually mayhem but so enjoyable with about 12 adults and 12 kids.
    Dinner is normally about 2pm and we exchange gifts after dinner but I do like to be home in my pjs before 5.
    Then it’s a classic Christmas movie for the evening. Kids do be very tired and in bed about 9 so I will then have a few glasses of port and cheese and maybe a turkey sandwich and be in bed about 11.30 .

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

This is our first Christmas with our newborn twins : )

We're going to brazil so i expect everything to be served to me... work starts Christmas 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Christmas will be bordering on unbearable for personal reasons. Because of this, most of my immediate and extended family will be on "let's get through this if we can" mode. The earlier the build up starts, the harder the impending upset becomes. Can't wait for it to be gone

If you have reason to enjoy all that this time of year offers, fair play to you. I hope it is everything you expect. However, please bear in mind it is not for everyone and cries of "cheer up, it's Christmas" can inadvertently cause difficult emotions to come to the fore

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

@Eggs for Dinner, be kind to yourself over the season. Things can be hard for some people for many reasons and I hope you and others have a peaceful time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Christmas will be bordering on unbearable for personal reasons. Because of this, most of my immediate and extended family will be on "let's get through this if we can" mode. The earlier the build up starts, the harder the impending upset becomes. Can't wait for it to be gone

If you have reason to enjoy all that this time of year offers, fair play to you. I hope it is everything you expect. However, please bear in mind it is not for everyone and cries of "cheer up, it's Christmas" can inadvertently cause difficult emotions to come to the fore

I hope your day is slightly less unbearable than you anticipate, and I hope you find some time alone to do something just for you, be it something simple like a beer while you hide away from everyone for half an hour. Be kind to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Thanks everyone. I'll leave this forum to those of you who derive happiness out of the season. Have a good one everybody

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thanks everyone. I'll leave this forum to those of you who derive happiness out of the season. Have a good one everybody

Take care. Hopefully over time Christmas will offer more cheerful memories for you.

Advertisement