Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - BusConnects

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

tom1ie wrote: »
    Ah yeah fair enough, but when I hear Dublin south west I think of the election leaflets that get delivered to my door in rathfarnham!
    By the way what area would greenhills, walkinstown and sundrive be in? If that’s dublin south west (geographically) that’s an area that is going to present major problems for the bc infrastructure. It’s traffic gridlock there aswell.

To me (and I’m looking at the map!) southwest Dublin would roughly be the areas outside the R817.

That road itself is going to be a major problem to deal with.

South Central Dublin is roughly between the R817 and R825. That area is the worst for congestion and the hardest to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

bk wrote: »
    Well some one has broken the busconnects.ie site!

Seems to be working ok again!
    Nothing new yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,266 ✭✭✭cgcsb

jvan wrote: »
    Its good to see the Independent out with their positive spin on public infrastructure as usual

Predictable snoozfest headline.

delayed until 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The site is being updated as we speak, and things are gradually appearing. No detailed plans yet, hopefully will be there soon.

what new information is available ?

cgcsb wrote: »
    what new information is available ?

Yeah, it thought it was liver than it is...:o A couple error pages so still updating I guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/SeanMJourno/status/1062718410579107843

25k per property on average. Jaysus. That's not even including the price of the landscaping.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

• Advertisement

Actual construction of corridors between 2021 through 2027!

2 years per corridor, construction time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ballymun and Finglas corridors are awaiting finalisation of the Metrolink project

Just noticed that the Clongriffin map doesn't match up with the map in the PDF. The PDF one is correct.

The Clongriffen corridor stops short on detail at Fairview.

The Blanchardstown one is interesting. Was surprised by the new 2 way cycle track, and the sneakily inserted car-free north quays with a 2 way cycle way. Disapointed by stoneybatter. The pleasant pedestrian area at the Prussia/aughrim st junction appears to be thoroughly unpleasant in the maps, with 4 traffic lanes at it's widest point. Will have a look at Lucan but am not expecting anything new.

Taking a quick look at the Swords - Drumcondra route, I like what I see so far.

It comes across as not just a Bus project, but also a big improvement to cycling infrastructure (at last) and pedestrian infrastructure. As an example, a few places on the Swords road where you currently have to cross the road three times to get to the other side, they are proposing to put in a fourth, badly needed crossing.

For bikes, it looks like a pretty decent upgrade at first glance, with the bike path going behind bus stops where their is space and generally being off road for the most part. Though I'm sure monument will go over that in more detail and point out mistakes. But overall looks decent.

They are planning to widen the Tolka bridge, great it is a minor choke point.

I don't see much in the way of controversial land take. Mostly just a very small sliver of land of what are mostly various institutions with plenty of Land spare (Plunkett College, various sports grounds, etc.). Looks like very few homes impacted on this route.

The one possibly controversial part would be the one way street for cars in Santry by the Omni Center.

I get the impression that they are only taking bits of garden where people have very large gardens and where they only need a small bit of garden and the home owner shouldn't be overly effected, at least on this route.

Where they would need to take a whole front garden, they have avoided that, for instance the above Santry example, you could fit four lanes in there, but it would involve taking whole front gardens, so instead they are going for one way streets and three lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The Clongriffen corridor stops short on detail at Fairview.

there's a separate scheme for Fairview and North Strand, the details of which have already been published.

Overall impressed with the cycling provision, across all corridors. Disapointed by the way pedestrians are treated in Stoneybatter at the Prussia/Aughrim junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Taking a quick look at the Swords - Drumcondra route, I like what I see so far.

It comes across as not just a Bus project, but also a big improvement to cycling infrastructure (at last) and pedestrian infrastructure. As an example, a few places on the Swords road where you currently have to cross the road three times to get to the other side, they are proposing to put in a fourth, badly needed crossing.

For bikes, it looks like a pretty decent upgrade at first glance, with the bike path going behind bus stops where their is space and generally being off road for the most part. Though I'm sure monument will go over that in more detail and point out mistakes. But overall looks decent.

They are planning to widen the Tolka bridge, great it is a minor choke point.

I don't see much in the way of controversial land take. Mostly just a very small sliver of land of what are mostly various institutions with plenty of Land spare (Plunkett College, various sports grounds, etc.). Looks like very few homes impacted on this route.

The one possibly controversial part would be the one way street for cars in Santry by the Omni Center.

I get the impression that they are only taking bits of garden where people have very large gardens and where they only need a small bit of garden and the home owner shouldn't be overly effected, at least on this route.

Where they would need to take a whole front garden, they have avoided that, for instance the above Santry example, you could fit four lanes in there, but it would involve taking whole front gardens, so instead they are going for one way streets and three lanes.

Looks like no left turn from dorset st to gardnier st too. That one is reasonably popular so could cause a few complaints.

Also, looks like the section between Quinns and Fagans remains largely untouched. I was hoping for that as the trees along there are really nice and it would have been a shame to lose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Will there be many bus routes using this bus lane? The reason I ask is the bus set down areas at the bus stops are in line with the qbc as opposed to offset to allow busses not stopping a chance to pass busses that are stopping.
    If the bus stops aren’t offset that means busses have to merge into car traffic lanes if another bus is already occupying the bus lane.
    Is this not a major drawback?

the bus provision on Gardner st is nice. Currently a free for all.

• Advertisement

I've taken a look though that now, and at first blush, there doesn't seem to be anything majorly controversial about it.

There's a couple of roundabouts on the Malahide Road that are being removed, at Blunden Drive and Gracefield Road. Can't think that too many people will lament there removal, depending on the time of day, and direction you came from, you could be five minutes sitting there right now.

The only people that could lose driveways/parking are down where the Malahide Rd hits Fairview. There gardens are pretty small anyway, I'd guess that parking will have to be sorted for these.

Will there be many bus routes using this bus lane? The reason I ask is the bus set down areas at the bus stops are in line with the qbc as opposed to offset to allow busses not stopping a chance to pass busses that are stopping.
    If the bus stops aren’t offset that means busses have to merge into car traffic lanes if another bus is already occupying the bus lane.
    Is this not a major drawback?

The D routes will be using this road and they will operate every 4 minutes. They'll be timetabled as one route rather than a series of separate routes and it's a pretty well segregated bus corridor so hopefully bunching can be avoided.

Since all but one of the spines are cross City in nature it all depends on what happens in the city centre. There needs to be bravery when facing down the car lobby.

I notice the drawings include a liffey cycleway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

LXFlyer wrote: »
    To be fair it is relevant where people (particularly in outer suburbs) have existing low frequency direct routes to/from the city and the BusConnects proposals were to replace those with new low frequency connecting services to the spines.

That feature I expect to be reversed in the revised network proposals as it isn’t viable without the infrastructure being in place and having been shown to deliver consistent journey times. People would end up having longer journey times outbound as connections could be easily missed and people waiting 30-60 minutes for the next one.

In that case he should be delighted this is happening first, not whining to get media attention (cause he's doomed at the next election, for other reasons)

Forcing outbound cars onto Aughrim St from Stoneybatter may cause controversy but I'd expect much of this traffic to evapourate given that Blanch to City Centre by bus will have at least 20 minutes shaved off by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The D routes will be using this road and they will operate every 4 minutes. They'll be timetabled as one route rather than a series of separate routes and it's a pretty well segregated bus corridor so hopefully bunching can be avoided.

Since all but one of the spines are cross City in nature it all depends on what happens in the city centre. There needs to be bravery when facing down the car lobby.

If there is to be 4 min frequency on this route, bunching will be inevitable without offset bus set down areas at bus stops. The lack of this is disappointing.

CatInABox wrote: »
    The only people that could lose driveways/parking are down where the Malahide Rd hits Fairview. There gardens are pretty small anyway, I'd guess that parking will have to be sorted for these.

The controversial bit here might be moving the bike lane off onto Brian Road, though if your heading to the City, that would actually be quiet nice for cyclists IMO, but might not be popular with the residents.

It doesn't look like houses here will actually lose much garden, a small meter or so from what I can see from the map, I don't think enough for anyone to lose parking. Again this looks to be an example where they aren't taking as much garden as they could, moving the bike lane away rather then taking more garden.

If there is to be 4 min frequency on this route, bunching will be inevitable without offset bus set down areas at bus stops. The lack of this is disappointing.

Bunching will happen regardless, it's impossible to remove completely from a bus network no matter what you do.

Bike and bus only:):):)

Nobody seems to have lost much garden in this tranche. The South West corridors will be the real controversial ones. I'd just like to see these things happen asap rather than in 2027.

• Advertisement

Nobody seems to have lost much garden in this tranche. The South West corridors will be the real controversial ones. I'd just like to see these things happen asap rather than in 2027.

Most likely, these are also the ones that will be started first, in 2021.

Advertisement