Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metalireland RIP..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shinshine

Yeah I just saw this. I'm gutted I never really contributed much to the forum but it was a daily read for me and because I'm not on any social media I was utterly dependant on it for gigs, new releases and news. I don't really know where to turn now. If anyone has any suggestions ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Was only on it last week ,long time poster and follower ,harsh times

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

I've been there since '05 and wont miss it much tbh as lately I haven't bothered checking in at all.

Seems odd though that CT shuts the forums etc too. Lock 'em yea if you want so folks can search stuff like gigs and threads etc... until the domain is up for renewal and then let it dissapear but I assume its still in his name since he is using thd email address, then it is his baby to do with what he likes.

Where will I post about my Metalworks missing subscription now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I rarely posted, but I checked the site daily for the last .....15 maybe?.....years. Visited this morning to find it gone. It had gone very quiet over the last year or so - in common with many / most of the forums I use - so it's perhaps understandable, but it'll still leave a big void in terms of Ireland focussed metal updates. I hadn't realised they had a Facebook page, but where is the best place now to see up to date gig listings etc?

As an aside, why are so many forums falling foul of Facebook these days? Facebook sucks for discussion - or are am I just getting old?!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

A shame how he ended it so abruptly after so many years. It was a daily visit for me for a long time. All those reviews and content, just gone. I will be equally lost when it comes to gigs and new releases - it was my lifeline to that world for many years since I became a boring old fart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Yeah a massive loss to the Irish metal community. Hoping that CT is able to archive all the forums and reviews somehow, there's too much good stuff there to just throw away.

It was a great hub for gig listings. I guess the only thing you can do now is to follow all the usual promoters facebook pages.

Anyone know if there's any Irish metal subreddits lying about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Well that's a pisser ... I'm not on Facepuke, Twatter or anything like that ... Metalireland was where I went to check gig listings ... balls.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Yeah just have to agree here with what has already been posted, am v sad to see this to be honest. It was a big part of the Irish metal scene, much the same was as John Kenny's metal show was back in the 90s.

I don't really use social media, so it's loss leaves me feeling a bit more isolated as far as metal goings on are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Very sad news to be honest.

I was a long time lurker on the forums there. It had got very quiet as of late, but that's just the way it seems to be with all types of message boards, even Boards is a comparative ghost town compared to what it once was.

Still though, I would check it out on an almost daily basis. The gigs forum was fantastic up until the very last for letting you know about things that were happening or announced that you'd struggle to hear about elsewhere. It'll be really missed in that regard. I think it still provided a service for keeping people in the loop about events that I can't see being fulfilled elsewhere to same extent.

I enjoyed how praise was usually hard earned over there. They were a great bunch of cantankerous lads. Constantly giving out about every gig - sound was off, too many people moshing, crap setlist etc, etc - but it was all part of the charm really.

RIP.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Arghus wrote: »
    I enjoyed how praise was usually hard earned over there. They were a great bunch of cantankerous lads. Constantly giving out about every gig - sound was off, too many people moshing, crap setlist etc, etc - but it was all part of the charm really.

Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and bands of that ilk couldn't do anything right at all.

I was only a lurker there, never bothered to sign up, but enjoyed looking around it, and will miss it, although a lot of threads would devolve into tiresome puns.

I would look through album of the year or recommendation threads and I wouldn't have heard of 90 percent of the bands mentioned, and a lot of the bands I like would be relatively obscure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and bands of that ilk couldn't do anything right at all.

I was only a lurker there, never bothered to sign up, but enjoyed looking around it, and will miss it, although a lot of threads would devolve into tiresome puns.

I would look through album of the year or recommendation threads and I wouldn't have heard of 90 percent of the bands mentioned, and a lot of the bands I like would be relatively obscure.

Yeah, some of the viciously defended opinions there were hilarious to read at times. Those metalheads could get fierce argumentative.

Though I think everyone knew their stuff over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Only heard about this now, was a regular on there went to post about how Within Temptation were deadly in London tonight and worthy of some of the headline slots they are getting next year and get some of the inevitable metal elitist responses and got the message displayed. Sad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Ah this is terrible.

Like most above I was a daily visitor to the gig section and an occasional poster. It was a great source of information.

I'm going to see UFO next year (some time in March), but I've no idea what date. A quick look on Metal Ireland would solve that mystery in the past, now I've no idea where to look! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Well that's unfortunate, long term lurker, but never actually signed up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It's a shame really. Had an account for, I dunno, 15 years but probably only 30 or so posts. I was essentially a lurker and therefore part of the problem if it closed down due to lack of traffic.

There were some legendary threads on there covering all the important stuff from Masked Mantra, to Shoctopus to Grey Enemy. The site got a reputation for being far too elitist and turning people away as a result, but the guys running it appeared to make an effort to crack down on that. Visited it today to see what people were saying about Threatin but then saw the message :(

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

It's a shame really. Had an account for, I dunno, 15 years but probably only 30 or so posts. I was essentially a lurker and therefore part of the problem if it closed down due to lack of traffic.

There were some legendary threads on there covering all the important stuff from Masked Mantra, to Shoctopus to Grey Enemy. The site got a reputation for being far too elitist and turning people away as a result, but the guys running it appeared to make an effort to crack down on that. Visited it today to see what people were saying about Threatin but then saw the message :(

God yeah those threads were hilarious, Shoctopus got some roasting alright! It was kinda nasty in a way but the sense of humour was so recognisably Irish you just had to laugh at it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Some chap by the name of Tommy Rockitt got an awful time from them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Well, to be fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

It was the one site I would login to regularly to have a read or sometimes post.I think it will be a huge blow to the metal scene not having it anymore especially for album recommendations, gig news,band promotion and old gig pics to name a few.
    This forum might just take off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭hellyeah

Checked in every other day for gig news reviews etc for the past 10 years. Found it great especially if looking for a gig ticket or trying to off load spares. Nobody ever tried to scalpe you for tickets, or messed you around for meetups. Good bunch on there imo.
    Not on Facebook, Twitter etc so have no idea were to go for local gig news , announcements and such. Went to gigs and checked out new bands all from the site.
    Will be missed.

• Advertisement

It's funny that the 'goodbye' front page mentions muscle memory. I've found it to be the case several times the last couple of days - point the browser ready to click the MI link.......and oh ****, I forgot it's gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Arghus wrote: »
    Very sad news to be honest.

I was a long time lurker on the forums there. It had got very quiet as of late, but that's just the way it seems to be with all types of message boards, even Boards is a comparative ghost town compared to what it once was.

Still though, I would check it out on an almost daily basis. The gigs forum was fantastic up until the very last for letting you know about things that were happening or announced that you'd struggle to hear about elsewhere. It'll be really missed in that regard. I think it still provided a service for keeping people in the loop about events that I can't see being fulfilled elsewhere to same extent.

RIP.

Used to visit it a bit, but not much in the last few years.

For the reasons above it kinda put me off.

Meh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The way the web has gone over the last decade, internet forums are losing memberships to facebook and the other crap out there.
    I run two forums and both have seen numbers dwindle. Nothing that can be done really.
    Sad to see MI close and it's a huge pity nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

:( A massive shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I will miss it for the album recommendations. I discovered some great bands through those album of the year threads over the years- all 18 of them!
    It's a big commitment to keep it going- especially as you get older, and the site wasn't his main income source, so you can't blame him for calling it quits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I will miss it for the album recommendations. I discovered some great bands through those album of the year threads over the years- all 18 of them!
    It's a big commitment to keep it going- especially as you get older, and the site wasn't his main income source, so you can't blame him for calling it quits.
    How much do you think it would cost to maintain ?

Far from the worst song I've ever heard, that video on the other hand :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Was he the guy who looked he was in a terrible Motley Crue covers band, all bandanas, eyeliners and skinny jeans!?

Gamb!t wrote: »
    How much do you think it would cost to maintain ?

I can't imagine Ciaran was taking in very much in advertising. I'd say overall it was probably costing him low hundreds from his own pocket every year - not much, but it adds up. Add in - of likely much more importance - many unpaid hours of work and I can see why he pulled the plug. I must say I have a lot of respect for the way he did it - it would have been easy to have 'I might close the site' post and lumber on for another while, just delaying the inevitable. Better to just do it, and be done. Chances are he's being mulling this over for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Yeah, I'd say mainly the time and effort spent maintaining the site and generating content was fairly substantial and probably ceased being worth it in this age of social media killing message boards.

Advertisement