Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Castle / Deer Park Sold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/470-acre-howth-castle-sold-to-irish-investment-group-tetrarch-1.3652116

Be interesting to see what they make of it. I have been hiking on the property and played both the 9 hole and 18 hole courses. While they are not in great shape, I think the bones are there.

At the very least I hope they don't mess up the bog of frogs hike!

I heard about this a couple of weeks ago and it’s believe they are currently applying to the courts to close all the public walkways through the estate.

The Lawrence family I believe have the right to continue living in the castle till they die.

They are meant to be knocking everything down and building a luxury hotel and a 18 golf course totally redesigned by some big name golfer. Also aiming for the wedding market and conferences.

Membership will be aimed at the high end of the market so it will be the end of the public golf.

I can’t see them winning the case against the locals to close the local right aways, because that goes all the way back to the tram lines which is over 100 years ago and some of the local estates have direct access to the estate.

It will be a interesting development but more likely to compete with the premium clubs and top end of the green fee market.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Paul McGinley has been spotted up there on a number of occasions in recent months. The place at the moment is such a waste and great to see some investment coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

will be interesting to see how long it will take them to get a decent course up and running.
    I'm assuming that they have the course designed at this stage already - would need to move a lot of turf to create something top notch...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Any progress on this development? Been a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I heard about this a couple of weeks ago and it’s believe they are currently applying to the courts to close all the public walkways through the estate.
    Untrue. The rights of way are too well established. Contesting would be futile. They have actually been upgraded in parts and some access to a now cleaned up fly tipping spot has been fenced off.
    The Lawrence family I believe have the right to continue living in the castle till they die.
    Yep.
    They are meant to be knocking everything down and building a luxury hotel and a 18 golf course totally redesigned by some big name golfer. Also aiming for the wedding market and conferences.

Membership will be aimed at the high end of the market so it will be the end of the public golf.
    Their current plan is for all facilities to remain open to the public.
    I can’t see them winning the case against the locals to close the local right aways, because that goes all the way back to the tram lines which is over 100 years ago and some of the local estates have direct access to the estate.
    No, see above.

There are 472 acres and about half of that will be a championship golf course and rebuilt 4* hotel with about 130 rooms. No other courses planned. The plans are long term ie. 20-25 years and they say no high density and are thinking upper end retirement village. Those are the current plans but may change and the full scope of development has not yet been worked out.
    This is directly from a Tetrarch rep at a meeting with a community umbrella body.

There is also a parcel of land north of the castle which was sold separately to Glenveigh which will built on probably under SHD legislation ie. ABP rubber stamping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JoJo_boots

Mod deleted

Hi poster, please see posting guidelines, this is not a forum for someone to register and ask non-golf related queries
    Kind regards

Advertisement