Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watchmen- HBO-(***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Never read the comic but absolutely loved the film. By far my favourite comic book film. Hopefully this gets the greenlight and they really nail it.

They need to get Alan Moore involved in this. It seems a really risky move to make a prequel to what is considered one of the greatest novels (graphic novel, or not) of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

They need to get Alan Moore involved in this. It seems a really risky move to make a prequel to what is considered one of the greatest novels (graphic novel, or not) of all time.

Prequel has already been made in comics. Moore had nothing to do with it and wants nothing to do with any adaptations of his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Stats shooting in the coming weeks and with HBO behind it this could be amazing.

Production on HBO's new Watchmen reboot is rumored to begin production in the coming weeks and now, it appears that casting breakdowns for the show have begun to surface.

The Watchmen.
    Angela Abraham: African-American female cop. Independent and intelligent, she’s also a realist. She’s married to Cal, with whom she has a daughter and is fiercely protective of them both.

Cal Abraham: African-American male who is the stay-at-home husband of Angela. While he seems at home as the king of his castle and being a loving husband and father, it’s clear his past has a different story to tell.

Looking Glass: A good looking cop, the native Oklahoman isn’t simple as his rural accent makes him appear to be. A top interrogator and behavioral scientist, he may also be a bit of a sociopath.

Panda: An ethnic desk cop, he’s cynical and tough and puts his job first. Not a friend to many, he uses comedy to keep people at bay.

Red Scare: Mafioso, track suit wearing cop. His Russian accent lends to his abrasiveness.

Pirate Jenny: An androgynous and lustful bisexual cop, Jenny is an anarchist at heart.

Jane Crawford: The wife of the police chief, Judd, Jane is a veterinarian who’s sharper than her guarded persona lets on.

Old Man: A former cop who is still an imposing figure despite his age.
    HBO head Casey Bloys had nothing but nice things to say about the show while speaking at the TCA winter tour.

"I've read the script, it's amazing," Bloys said. "I'm thrilled, I imagine we'll shoot that this year."

Lost alum Damon Lindelof — a longtime fan of the comic series — is serving as executive producer on the show.

"Watchmen -- it was dangerous," Lindelof said earlier this at Vulture Fest LA. "And you can't be dangerous for dangerous' sake, but the reason that I'm doing this is these are dangerous times and we need dangerous shows. What we think about superheroes is wrong. I love the Marvel movies and we saw Justice League this morning and I’m all for Wonder Woman and Batman and I grew up on these characters, but we should not trust people who put on masks and say that they are looking out for us. If you hide your face, you are up to no good.”

The Watchmen was a 12-issue series written by legendary comics author Alan Moore, and illustrated by Dave Gibbons. In September of last year, HBO announced that it was moving forward with a pilot from Lindelof based on the comic series, and commissioned additional scripts.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/04/28/watchmen-hbo-casting-breakdowns/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

A letter from Damon Lindelof to Watchmen fans. There are multiple pages
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BjFsj6JHEdq/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Tom Mison, Frances Fisher and Jacob Ming-Trent join the pilot
    https://tvline.com/2018/06/28/tom-mison-watchmen-pilot-hbo-cast/

Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross To Compose Music
    The pair won their Oscar for scoring 2010’s The Social Network and also have worked on such films as Patriots Day, Gone Girl, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and climate-change documentary Before the Flood, along with last year’s PBS documentary The Vietnam War. Reznor founded the influential industrial rock band Nine Inch Nails, which broke out with its 1994 album The Downward Spiral, and Ross worked on the group’s 2000s albums before becoming a full-fledged member in 2016.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/watchmen-trent-reznor-atticus-ross-to-compose-music-for-damon-lindelofs-hbo-series-1202468375/

First teaser image.
    43913380_333363954089992_7103858703846069687_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTg5MDgyMDE5NDQ2MjcxMTQxNw%3D%3D.2

• Advertisement

Jean Smart joins the cast.

Other cast members now include...Regina King, Jeremy Irons, Don Johnson, Tim Blake Nelson, Louis Gossett Jr., Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Andrew Howard, Tom Mison, Frances Fisher, Jacob Ming-Trent, Sara Vickers, Dylan Schombing and James Wolk

https://deadline.com/2018/11/watchmen-jean-smart-cast-hbo-series-damon-lindelof-1202498463/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's a rumour knocking around that Jeremy Irons is playing
    an older version of Adrian Veidt, aka Ozymandias

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's beginning to look very interesting. Definitely liking the visuals on show so far, nothing specific from the original comic but you can see the clear inspirations too.

Doubtless Alan Moore will hate it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Trailer dropped..

Oh I like the look of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Oh I like the look of that.

Just said the same!
    It's looking like a 20+ yr follow on to the end of the comic.
    After Antarctica, and Rorschach seems to have taken on a V for Vendetta kind of vibe!

Really offers potential to spin out the stories!

Well that has me definitely intrigued; I wonder how much of the original text will sneak into the show. If Dr Manhattan is a lingering presence, being as he was the only actual superpowered creature in this universe.

All I ask is that this is a more straightforward tale than HBO's last high concept, genre show cos after the cryptic bollix of Westworld I'm automatically sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well that has me definitely intrigued; I wonder how much of the original text will sneak into the show. If Dr Manhattan is a lingering presence, being as he was the only actual superpowered creature in this universe.

All I ask is that this is a more straightforward tale than HBO's last high concept, genre show cos after the cryptic bollix of Westworld I'm automatically sceptical.

Don't think Damon Lindelof does straightforward :pac:

Trailer looks great

Unearthly wrote: »
    Don't think Damon Lindelof does straightforward :pac:

Trailer looks great

Couldn't be any more labyrinthine than Westworld, and hopefully the themes of the original work better adapted than the superficially accurate Sunder film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'd say it will be a bit more straightforward than Westworld. I like Westworld but Westworld is its own story about the nature of humanity and our responsibilities yadda yadda yadda blah blah. This should be a straight up thriller. Few curveballs here and there to keep us on our toes but not "Who is a cylon I mean host and who isn't and what defines a cylon I mean host"

I like the idea of exploring the Watchmen world rather than redoing the the Watchmen book. The world was a very interesting one, full of potential.

Much like when I heard they were doing a show about Gotham PD..... And then I saw that show (Gave up after 2 episodes).

But yeah. Looks interesting.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I take it this is a sequel of sorts and some sort of cult has sprung up off the back of Rorshach's journal?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I take it this is a sequel of sorts and some sort of cult has sprung up off the back of Rorshach's journal?

Apparently: Lindelof & co. have been pretty circumspect when talking about the show, but seemingly it's a sequel set 20 odd years after the events of the book. Or maybe the film, again it's unclear and given how radically different the endgame (chortle) was between movie & book that could have big ramifications to this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Song choice felt right :)

Wow, didn't expect as many callbacks and visual nods to the original story, had wondered how much they might keep in the background. Still not clear whether it's following the end of the book or the movie, though I suspect it's the movie myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Dunno, think I saw a reference to the alien squid in there at 2:23ish? The shot with the woman in the barrister's wig?

Dunno, think I saw a reference to the alien squid in there at 2:23ish? The shot with the woman in the barrister's wig?

Oh really? Must watch that again. That ending requires a lot of explanation in many respects as it was always meant to be incredibly 'comicbook'; can't see an elegant way of this new show explaining it was all a big hoax by Veidt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Oh really? Must watch that again. That ending requires a lot of explanation in many respects as it was always meant to be incredibly 'comicbook'; can't see an elegant way of this new show explaining it was all a big hoax by Veidt.

True. If it was a barrister with a drawing of the squid on a flip chart, I'm guessing that scene was from Veidt's trial, or parole hearing or some such.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Westworld's convoluted plotting and cryptic dialogue is not Lindelof's style. His shows have always been fairly straightforward, character-driven dramas with a mystery box element. The same couldn't be said of Westworld or any of Jonathan Nolan's stuff. Westworld is more puzzle box than mystery box. Puzzle boxes are meant to be solved, mystery boxes aren't.

I think they are just playing up the cryptic stuff for the trailer.

Advertisement