Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bourbon recommendation please

• 08-11-2018 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a nice bottle of bourbon for myself for Christmas!!

I have had a few JDs over the years but have more recently bought Maker's Mark (from a recommendation here) and I enjoy it. I was also given a bottle of regular Jim Beam as a present and notice the difference between it and Maker's Mark.

I'm happy to stay with Maker's Mark but might try something different. I'd like something with that sweet caramel almost chewy taste and without a very harsh alcohol burn.

I live near the border so can go to Sainsbury's etc but also have O'Brien's, tesco etc near me. Might also order online if needs be.

Any recommendations??

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

try Knob Creek

For something a little different perhaps you could try a canadian whiskey like Canadian Club or Crown Royal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Buffalo Trace is sometimes on offer in sainsburys.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Woodford Reserve is a nice one at a reasonable price.

Available in Dunnes/Tescos for around 43-45 euro

Wild Turkey 101 would be a good one if you can get your hands on it.
    50.5% abv and a big step up from Wild Turkey 81 which is more commonly available. Higher abv might not be to everyone's taste.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Another vote for Woodford Reserve, it's a lovely smooth bourbon. Or if you're looking for something different, I'd recommend Eagle Rare. If you want to push the boat out a bit more, then see if you can get your hands on a bottle of Basil Hayden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Thank you for all the replies folks.

I have a little homework to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

Eagle rare 10 year. Great whiskey

Advertisement