Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Survey of Online Gaming Behaviours and Gaming Disorder (Mod permission given)

• 07-11-2018 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭columbd

The first post of this seems to have been deleted from the forum. I do have moderator permission from Retr0gamer to post this survey

Hi there

My name is Dr David Columb and I am a Senior Medical Officer working with Professor Colin O’Gara in the Addiction Department in St John of God Hospital, Stillorgan, Co Dublin. We conduct research in respect to behavioral addictions – addictions that do not involve a substance such as drugs or alcohol. Examples of this are gambling addiction, gaming addiction and internet use addiction.

We would be very grateful if you could complete this survey on gaming addiction as well as questions around microtransactions in gaming. The link below will lead to a detailed Information Sheet on the study, as well as some Consent questions prior to commencing the study. The survey should take around 10 minutes to complete.

https://sjogh.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/gamingaddiction

If you have any questions about the survey, please do not hesitate to contact me at david.columb@sjog.ie. I've been in contact with the moderators and they are happy for me to post this survey up a few times between now and Christmas.

Again I'd really appreciate if you could fill the survey out if you have some time to spare.

Kind Regards

David

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭ Kellen Scary Flatware

Hi David, just a heads up that the link to the survey is broken

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭columbd

Hi David, just a heads up that the link to the survey is broken

Thanks, the "h" from https got cut off. Should be working now

Thanks for spotting that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭ Kian Vast Cable

Do you watch or participate in eSports?

It's esports, or Esports if its at the start of a sentence :)

https://esportsinsider.com/2017/03/associated-press-ended-esports-vs-esports-debate/

It's esports, or Esports if its at the start of a sentence :)

https://esportsinsider.com/2017/03/associated-press-ended-esports-vs-esports-debate/

Thanks for that, I've changed it in the survey.

And thanks for filling out the survey as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

completed.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

One issue I had was it still made me put in an age for when I started playing online mobile games even though I stated I never play them.

Glebee wrote: »
    completed.

Thanks!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    One issue I had was it still made me put in an age for when I started playing online mobile games even though I stated I never play them.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll put an n/a option beside that

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭steviebg

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Done.

Just a few things:

I don't know if I just missed it, but there was no option to say that "I dont play mobile games", Even if I said I dont play them on weekends and weekdays, it still asks me at what age I started playing them.
    Another thing: dividing questions to weekends and week days. Issue is in current day and age weekends dont mean its your day off. I personally work flat out all weekends and my days off are during the week, which is my time when I can spend time with family and play some games.

• Advertisement

steviebg wrote: »
    Done

Thank you.

Done.

Just a few things:

I don't know if I just missed it, but there was no option to say that "I dont play mobile games", Even if I said I dont play them on weekends and weekdays, it still asks me at what age I started playing them.
    Another thing: dividing questions to weekends and week days. Issue is in current day and age weekends dont mean its your day off. I personally work flat out all weekends and my days off are during the week, which is my time when I can spend time with family and play some games.

The age thing has been pointed out. I've made the question optional and added in a n/a part

In regards the weekdays/weekend spilt, we would expect the weekends to be much higher that the weekdays for the majority of people gaming. It will be of interest to see if people scoring in the dependent range for gaming use similiar amounts of gaming throughout the week

Hope that answers your questions and thanks for filling out the survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Completed, and my own understanding of the questions would make me seem like an addict, so I'd like to point out it's not an addiction if it doesn't affect other parts of your life, it's just what I do! Good survey!

Completed, and my own understanding of the questions would make me seem like an addict, so I'd like to point out it's not an addiction if it doesn't affect other parts of your life, it's just what I do! Good survey!

Yes absolutely, if gaming negatively effects your life, then you may have a problem. Thanks for filling out the survey

Also just wanted to say if you know of anyone else who would be an avid gamer, feel free to let them know about the survey.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Survey filled in, it's always good to get some actual science on these sorts of issues, thanks for taking it on David. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Survey filled in, it's always good to get some actual science on these sorts of issues, thanks for taking it on David. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Thanks very much. In relation to the results, they will be published sometime in the new year but when I have the results, I'll put the main bullet points up in the forum too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

completed. best of luck with the research

edit - had to google when quake 1 was released to see what age I was when I started online gaming. now, if you'll excuse me, I must collect my pension :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Just a query David, why online games only when it comes to behaviours and disorders?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Done. Should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Done it there, gambling on esports isn't something I'd have thought of

The microtransactions will be interesting I'd say, felt so dirty to select Virtual Currency

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Done

Ship skins are not microtransactions in Elite Dangerous, they make my space ships pretty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

completed. best of luck with the research

edit - had to google when quake 1 was released to see what age I was when I started online gaming. now, if you'll excuse me, I must collect my pension :(

Q1....Pension you say ?????

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/22783/Adman-Grandstand-TVG-2600-Mk-II/

Although it would be fairer to say I was a c64 era child,a version of the above was just my earliest memory that I assume was bought years before. One of the controller's was wonky thus rendering pong an infuriating affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Some good questions, best of luck with your research.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Just a query David, why online games only when it comes to behaviours and disorders?

Good question. We had a large questionnaire worked out at the beginning but it was around 30minutes long, so had to taper it down. Online gaming ties more into the microtransaction piece so we went with that, as well it having good validated screening scales. We had to take out all the scales relating to depression, anxiety and other affective states which go with the disorder

Gaming disorder (both online and offline) is the category that will newly be included in the ICD-11 and would be ideal to survey both, but practically to get the numbers we need, the survey has to be short

Thanks for the question and hope this answers your query, and thanks for filling out the survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Q1....Pension you say ?????

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/22783/Adman-Grandstand-TVG-2600-Mk-II/

Although it would be fairer to say I was a c64 era child,a version of the above was just my earliest memory that I assume was bought years before. One of the controller's was wonky thus rendering pong an infuriating affair.
    I was a c64 kid too, used to look forward to the issues of zzap! 64 with the demo cassette. The question was about online gaming, my first foray into which was with q1 and GameSpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Question 13 really needs an "other" option, there's many more games/genres other than MOBAs, shooters & Battle Royale after all.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Question 13 really needs an "other" option, there's many more games/genres other than MOBAs, shooters & Battle Royale after all.

Yes it should have. Unfortunately we're probably too deep into the responses to change it but will do for future studies, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

do browser games fit with online games as I play a few on a daily basis that have microtransactions?

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    do browser games fit with online games as I play a few on a daily basis that have microtransactions?

Yes I would say they do. Thanks for doing the survey

Advertisement