Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dads

• 13-12-2009 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm trying to think of a pressie for my dad.
    He's not into tv or music, he likes the outdoors, but any outdoorsie pressie I can thing of he has or is very expensive. He has just been laid off and I'd like to get him something that might help him relax?

My budget is tiny as I've been laid off too (bad month for our family eh?!!)

so any suggestions?
    What did you get for your dad?
    are you a dad who got a great but inexpensive pressie before?
    are you a dad who can tell me what NOT to get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

I hate buying for my dad!!!its so hard.If hes outdoorsie how about a nice rain coat/boots/rain pants-regatta are a great brand but if you shop around can be quite cheap.Or if hes into golf maybe a prepayed round....or you cant go wrong with a new wallet!I ended up getting my dad a nice fleace jumper,shower gel,and a new leather wallet.good luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 flourishingdad

Why not give your Dad a voucher from Debenhams or put money he would appreciate that more. I told my grown-up kids not buy me anything.

They give me a gift voucher. If I see something I like I buy it. Makes sense to me

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't buy ANYONE a voucher for Debenhams. They're very close to going bust, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Voucher for some of the outdoors stores would be well received.

He can add to it if needed to get something that perhaps he would consider too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭wally79

The question was asked in 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

wally79 wrote: »
    The question was asked in 2009.

Yeah but it was in December so his birthday is coming round again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

More importantly, the OP now has 8 years of experience in order to give advice to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dick Rimmington

L1011 wrote: »
    Don't buy ANYONE a voucher for Debenhams. They're very close to going bust, again.

Can you back this up with a reliable source?

Purchase away, people having been claiming this since they went through examinership a couple of years ago, theyre not 'going bust' anytime soon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Purchase away, people having been claiming this since they went through examinership a couple of years ago, theyre not 'going bust' anytime soon.

They've had multiple credit insurers refuse to cover them and suppliers refuse to sell to them without credit insurance. That only ever leads one way.

Gift cards are the least imaginative gift possible and borderline insulting ("I can't trust you with cash, so I decided to limit the cash to one specific shop!"). Multiple retailers go under every January screwing over gift card holders.

I would advise nobody give gift cards for any retailer, ever; but large UK based retailers with wobbly financials are the worst to even consider.

6 months is within most ideas of "soon" for 100+ year old retailers...

• Advertisement
Advertisement