Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Ads 2018

Options
  • 30-10-2018 8:23pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It’s the start of the festive Ads season.

And quality street are straight in with a quality new ad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Yessssss!!! My favourite Christmas thread on boards!!!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

I love this thread too, can't see the video in the first post though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    I love this thread too, can't see the video in the first post though.

Should be fixed now, had a complete brain fart when posting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Cheers kid. really like that one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    Cheers kid. really like that one.

I like it too, it's simple and the festive touch at the end, perfect.

That's all Christmas Ads need to be, nothing too fancy or over the top.

• Advertisement

Anyone see this before? Its part of the 'backstory' to the John Lewis 2018 advert allegedly. Quite emotional IMO.
    https://youtu.be/QqAAqa7AAl4
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Even though there are loads of fantastic Christmas ads, I don't think any ad will ever beat the Coca Cola trucks for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Simply be Christmas ad

https://youtu.be/xhj4RqH8bEE

BDJW wrote: »
    Even though there are loads of fantastic Christmas ads, I don't think any ad will ever beat the Coca Cola trucks for me!

Its a classic. Though my personal favourite is the Guinness one. I know its Christmas when I see that 'live' on TV for the first time each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

DvB wrote: »
    Its a classic. Though my personal favourite is the Guinness one. I know its Christmas when I see that 'live' on TV for the first time each year.

I have to agree the Guinness one is my favorite to

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/curryspcworld/status/1058086279013978114?s=21

PC World launch their Christmas ad now.

Not feeling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

My favourite one is not on the telly - it's the Barry's Tea ad that does be on the radio! It's my favourite! I just love it! Gives me goosebumps every time I hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

CheerLouth wrote: »
    My favourite one is not on the telly - it's the Barry's Tea ad that does be on the radio! It's my favourite! I just love it! Gives me goosebumps every time I hear it!

They've really missed a trick by not moving it to tv, it would still work.
    Even nowadays with the fancy toys, the nostalgic feel will hit home!

Do it, Barry's!!

razorblunt wrote: »

Do it, Barry's!!

Oh no, I love that it's not on the telly! I think the radio makes it even more nostalgic!

razorblunt wrote: »

Do it, Barry's!!

No I disagree, I think the fact it's only on radio that lends to the magic of it all. It's so vividly described you can almost visualise it anyway.

I like that Curry's ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Loughc wrote: »
    No I disagree, I think the fact it's only on radio that lends to the magic of it all. It's so vividly described you can almost visualise it anyway.

I actually realised this myself after I posted it.
    The fact its on radio makes you picture the scenes all the more!

I retract my remark!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Argos Ad 2018..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Love love love the Kevin ad. Love that it ends on a cliffhanger :pac:

Hate the Argos one. That’s not very Christmassy.

2dqoff8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Just seen this on tv, first one I have seen

kitten_k wrote: »
    Just seen this on tv, first one I have seen

We must be watching the same thing! I just saw it too.... confused it with the coke truck ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I don’t like either of those ads. I especially don’t like the Kevin ad, it’s wrong to be using a truck in a Christmas ad if it’s not Coke! :pac:

Asda’s offering this year. I really like it.

If you haven't checked out Aldi's Insta page yet, you should! It's very clever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm surprised Aldi didn't have copyright issues with their ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm a big Kevin fan....and I love that he's back but I have very mixed feelings about the truck concept....it's messing with the classic coke concept. Thought Aldi could have done something original instead....after all they already have a great character to start with

Posy wrote: »
    I'm surprised Aldi didn't have copyright issues with their ad!

I reckon the Coke marketing team was more than happy to approve it. Free publicity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

DvB wrote: »
    Anyone see this before? Its part of the 'backstory' to the John Lewis 2018 advert allegedly. Quite emotional IMO.
    https://youtu.be/QqAAqa7AAl4

Don’t like it. I feel too sad watching it.

Advertisement