Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swearing on soap operas

• 08-10-2018 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

With all the murders, kidnaps, explosions, rapes, adulturies, paedophilia, incest and violence shown on soap operas amazingly none of the characters ever swear. I know there's broadcasting rules about swearing on TV before the watershed but that doesnt seem to be an issue about showing all those other things which are much more serious than words which are a very realistic part of everyday life. The fact is children hear bad language in the playground everyday of the week so shielding them from it on television is pointless and anyway they shouldn't really be watching shows with adult content in the first place. I just find it strange that someone can threaten or inflict violence on someone else in Eastenders but swearing seems to be off limits it just looks so unrealistic to me that they never swear im not saying it should be all the time but surely it should be ok on occasion just to give it a sense of realism about words that are said everyday of the week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Fack you Phew, sling yer ook, you cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

Eastenders would have to be on at midnight.

Coronation has some awful substitutions: flaming, pigging.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,178 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A lot of those things you mentioned are doing age appropriately for the time of day.
    Watch Hollyoaks later from the year 2000. It's probably one of the most graphic rape scenes I've ever seen in a soap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Stone the flamin crows - maybe that's as bad as it gets in Oz?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

My first memory of soaps was watching Steve Owen hit his wife over the head with an ash tray when I was 6 and a half, I'm sure i'm not the only person who watched soaps aged 6. I can remember in 2001 asking my mother "does raped mean stabbed" when watching the Trevor/Little Mo storyline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Mutant z wrote: »
    . The fact is children hear bad language in the playground everyday of the week...

I hate to be pendantic (I don't really) but that's definitely not a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Shortly before it was axed, and in protest at being aired in a post-watershed graveyard slot, Brookside introduced a really sweary character. It was quite jarring when he said the f-word (the bad f-word, worse than feck, you know the one I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Soap characters sometimes say bitch.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Shortly before it was axed, and in protest at being aired in a post-watershed graveyard slot, Brookside introduced a really sweary character. It was quite jarring when he said the f-word (the bad f-word, worse than feck, you know the one I mean).

When Brooksie started first it used to have swearing, in line with its attempt to be more realistic than other soaps, but a Media backlash put paid to that.

It was the best soap on telly by miles in its early days, and led to the BBC responding and trying to make Eastenders more gritty (without the swearing, obviously, cos we can't have any of that on Auntie Beeb.) Brookside lost its way terribly in its later years, hence falling ratings and it being axed. The late night shows were a bid to go back to its roots somewhat, since they knew the end was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Aah, ruddy 'eck!

• Advertisement

Serial killers and lads being impaled on spikes are no problem....just keep the f**ks to a minimum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

New Zealand soap Shortland Street is on RTE around midday and Ive often heard one character call another a prick or a wanker on it lol

Cash_Q wrote: »
    New Zealand soap Shortland Street is on RTE around midday and Ive often heard one character call another a prick or a wanker on it lol

Kiwis would normally pronounce it Pruck or a winker :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timothe

Corrie went wild a few weeks ago on this with Gemma and Joseph. Disgraceful it was. We were appalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

timothe wrote: »
    Corrie went wild a few weeks ago on this with Gemma and Joseph. Disgraceful it was. We were appalled.

Missed that. What happened?

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭timothe

Missed that. What happened?

Gemma burnt her hand whilst looking after Joseph and dropped the F bomb. She tried to bribe him not to repeat it but it didn't work and he was saying it the next episode to his father.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

timothe wrote:
    Gemma burnt her hand whilst looking after Joseph and dropped the F bomb. She tried to bribe him not to repeat it but it didn't work and he was saying it the next episode to his father.

Yeah but she didn't actually say the word on screen, then when Joseph repeated it they showed a car driving by blaring the horn. I thought it was gas, and I usually can't stand Gemma!

Advertisement