Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas present ideas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Board games? All the family can get involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Board games are a great idea! You could also get a set of books and DVDs with a Christmas theme and make a little hamper for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks a million folks, great ideas there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I'd go for local cinema voucher or local play centre voucher if kids are still young enough to go to one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Sorry to hijack the thread - but what is a reasonable amount to spend on nieces and nephews? One is 12 and the other two are under 5. For the 12 year old, I assume, to get anything decent these days you need 50 euro? Thinking 30 would suffice for younger kids.

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread - but what is a reasonable amount to spend on nieces and nephews? One is 12 and the other two are under 5. For the 12 year old, I assume, to get anything decent these days you need 50 euro? Thinking 30 would suffice for younger kids.

Madness! No need to spend anything like that unless you are very wealthy and can see yourself continuing in this manner, as the expectation will be set. In my side of the family we buy for godchildren and spend 25 on them. If the 12 year old has a phone I'd be giving 20 euro credit. As for kids under 5, you get lovely outfits in Penny's and Dunnes, or even Next are doing a 2 items for 13 euro on selected items now. Add a selection box for each child and you're set. There really is no need to spend 30 euro on a small child and 50 euro is well above what any 12 year old needs. Alternatively if they are all from the same house you could get a voucher for the likes of Tayto Park or the zoo so they can use it towards a trip later on.

Ghekko wrote: »
    Madness! No need to spend anything like that unless you are very wealthy and can see yourself continuing in this manner, as the expectation will be set. In my side of the family we buy for godchildren and spend 25 on them. If the 12 year old has a phone I'd be giving 20 euro credit. As for kids under 5, you get lovely outfits in Penny's and Dunnes, or even Next are doing a 2 items for 13 euro on selected items now. Add a selection box for each child and you're set. There really is no need to spend 30 euro on a small child and 50 euro is well above what any 12 year old needs. Alternatively if they are all from the same house you could get a voucher for the likes of Tayto Park or the zoo so they can use it towards a trip later on.

Thanks Ghekko. After thinking about it again 50 does seem quite excessive. Bit out of touch these days on what the norm would be and certainly don't want to known as the tight Uncle! . Problem is I'm living abroad so will probably have to be vouchers or possibly send something from Smyths etc.

Another alternative is to ask the parents if there is anything specific they'd like and then transfer money for them to buy it. My daughters godmother sends me the money and as my daughter generally has a list of things she'd like, I choose one and allocate it from godmother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We have a budget of €30 per child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Ghekko wrote: »
    I'd go for local cinema voucher or local play centre voucher if kids are still young enough to go to one.

I love the idea of the cinema vouchers .

When mine were young , I'd bring them and my niece to the cinema the Sunday after Christmas , twas a little tradition .. Until they got older and decided they were too grown up for that :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

cmac2009 wrote: »

Usually €100 per child over 12 years of age and €50 if they are under.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Look at you flexing your money muscles. :pac:

Seems reasonable. Whats the going rate for kidneys nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Heard this book being discussed on the radio the other morning and instantly decided that I'm buying it for every child on my Christmas list.

Fun Unplugged : Outsmart, Entertain and Amaze Your Friends!

A fantastic book for kids to entertain and outsmart others and most importantly to keep them off their digital devices.

Packed with puzzles, brain teasers, tricks and riddles, Fun Unplugged will keep your friends scratching their heads for hours on end!

Fool your family, fascinate your friends and bend your brain with more then 150 pages of fun.

You'll learn how to surprise, astonish and befuddle those around you until they are wide-eyed with amazment.

Code breaking, fortune telling, tricks of the mind and much more will make you the centre of attention. Fully illustrated throughout, the tricks and challenges are easy to follow and guaranteed to impress any audience.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Fun-Unplugged-Peter-Cosgrove/9781788460637?redirected=true&utm_medium=Google&utm_campaign=Base1&utm_source=IE&utm_content=Fun-Unplugged&selectCurrency=EUR&w=AFFPAU96812MXUA809C1&pdg=pla-297612067635:kwd-297612067635:cmp-711089934:adg-37476253379:crv-163904732377:pid-9781788460637:dev-c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjvXeBRDDARIsAC38TP6v8oJivrQ-Cz_o7WaxgpX8vrAH4PafU2sPnn7YvjwViGCPtDp0auEaAouNEALw_wcB

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That book is such a fantastic present idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

That book looks really good, I might pick that up for my pals little fella well he's not little

Advertisement