Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bluetooth headphones

Options
  • 02-11-2018 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭

I’m in the market for new headphones.

What do people recommend for running?
    Looking for ones that are sweat proof/waterproof, stay in the ear and don’t bounce around and aren’t to bulky.

Also I don’t want to spend to much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I find these Taotronics ones brilliant. I’m onto my second pair. I found the battery wasn’t lasting on some of my longer runs after about a year / year and a half but they are great otherwise.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphones-TaoTronics-Waterproof-Travelling-Cancelling-Black/dp/B017I9CBPC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

i wear plantronics backbeat fit, the in ear type wont stay on me while running so i like someone that wraps around

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've been using Aftershocks Titanium for a good while. Doesn't fit the "don't want to spend much" criteria, but work very well.

Are bone conducting ones so don't go in the ear meaning you can allegedly hear other stuff around you, don't believe the hype though. If you are listening to stuff on headphones then you are listening to stuff on headphones, doesn't mean that you will notice anything else going on around you. But they are very good and plenty loud enough, except for when trying to listen to talking podcasts while running along the side of a noisy motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

robinph wrote: »
    I've been using Aftershocks Titanium for a good while. Doesn't fit the "don't want to spend much" criteria, but work very well.

Are bone conducting ones so don't go in the ear meaning you can allegedly hear other stuff around you, don't believe the hype though. If you are listening to stuff on headphones then you are listening to stuff on headphones, doesn't mean that you will notice anything else going on around you. But they are very good and plenty loud enough, except for when trying to listen to talking podcasts while running along the side of a noisy motorway.

Yeah I have them, but find they are not great in the wind :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I find these Taotronics ones brilliant.

I like these too but they take a bit of getting used to in your ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m in the market for new headphones.

What do people recommend for running?
    Looking for ones that are sweat proof/waterproof, stay in the ear and don’t bounce around and aren’t to bulky.

Also I don’t want to spend to much.

Apple Airpods. Good battery, lightweight, simple and they stay grand in my ears. They've also survived a full wash and dry cycle :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

robinph wrote: »

I love them, and a few friends have ended up buying them too. Pretty sturdy, listen to podcasts and audiobooks a fair bit with no issue, unless as you've said the road is particularly noisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 goodtiming

I find these great...and they're cheap so I have a couple of pairs with one fully charged all the time....I even have a spare in the car in case I forget

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075XHXKZZ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

So are there any benefits to bone conducting in reality?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

I don't always like using earphones but I've the Jabra Sport Pulse Special Edition for when I do.
    Best sounding and fitting earphones I've tried. Had the Jabra Sport Coach for about a year but left ear stopped working.
    Contacted Jabra on Twitter and they sent me these as a replacement. Great earbuds.
    https://www.jabra.com/sports-headphones/jabra-sport-pulse-wireless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

I don't always like using earphones but I've the Jabra Sport Pulse Special Edition for when I do.
    Best sounding and fitting earphones I've tried. Had the Jabra Sport Coach for about a year but left ear stopped working.
    Contacted Jabra on Twitter and they sent me these as a replacement. Great earbuds.
    I've a couple of the cheaper wireless ones from Amazon but they aren't a patch on these ones.
    https://www.jabra.com/sports-headphones/jabra-sport-pulse-wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So are there any benefits to bone conducting in reality?

U are more aware of your surroundings so they are safer

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

IvoryTower wrote: »
    i wear plantronics backbeat fit, the in ear type wont stay on me while running so i like someone that wraps around

+1 for these, have been using them for years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

U are more aware of your surroundings so they are safer

Kind of.

It is definitely possible to hear noises going on around you more than you can with in ear headphones... but the fact that you are listening to something else means that you are still unlikely to notice whatever it is that is going on around you unless you are specifically trying to notice it... in which case why wear headphones.

That they market them as being safer, and the likes of England Athletics are sponsored by them and so exclude them from the headphone ban in races, actually probably reduces any safety benefit of them because people then assume that it's safer and so pay less attention.

People pay less attention than they should to what is going on around them for various reasons and the bone conducting headphones are definitely an improvement. Need to be careful with overstating any benefit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Been using a pair of these for the last 10 months, like the over ear style as no chance of them falling out. Got them for ~$12 during a sale so worth keeping an eye on.

Dodocool Stereo Wireless Earphones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

IvoryTower wrote: »

I have these too and recommend them. I also like the clever arm strap/headphones storage that’s included.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks all. Got the Anker soundcore spirit x

Bluetooth Headphones, Soundcore... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B9R67WR?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Had to put them so Santa Could give them to me.
    Happy with them so far after a 7km run. Can’t see how spending more with have been any better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I know youve bought yours etc but ive found it hard to beat Jaybird X range for fitment sound quality and battery life.

You spend more you get more. It depends what you are happy with tbh.

ive found the style you went for wiggle create noise in the hear and generally are not what i want from a device.

The jaybirds lock into the ear drum and give a near perfect fit. but cost 3 times the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

CES 2019 kicks off in a couple of weeks where all the headphones that are coming out in the first half of the year will be announced
    Sony is updating the WF1000

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

A friend recommended mpow cheetahs (https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Wireless-Headphones/Headphones-Mpow-Bluetooth-Sweatproof-Cancelling/B00VG0XNIO) as cheap option. I've had them a year now and have no complaints, they do all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Creative Outlier One's €24 delivered here. Have them more than 6 months and they've got a lot of use. Really like them sound is great, well made battery life is excellent genuine 8 hrs plus. Have only run a few times with them but have worn them a lot cycling and working in the garden, they are very secure best in ear headphones I've used.

Bought the dearer Sport version as present for someone for Christmas for just £28 from amazon at the time. They jump up and down in price a bit so worth waiting for a sale. Seem a little more durable. The cable is good bit heavier than mine and they have aptX codec which gives better sound quality. Have a couple more hours battery life too. Will probably buy another pair for myself at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

I got the skullcandy inkd wireless as a Christmas present and very impressed so far. Good option at about €40

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭ted1

listermint wrote: »
    I know youve bought yours etc but ive found it hard to beat Jaybird X range for fitment sound quality and battery life.

You spend more you get more. It depends what you are happy with tbh.

ive found the style you went for wiggle create noise in the hear and generally are not what i want from a device.

The jaybirds lock into the ear drum and give a near perfect fit. but cost 3 times the price.

I just don’t trust in ear headphones. Try them in the past. For running I want over the ear ones. Maybe my ears are just a funny shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭flazio

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DT0191Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fCPjCbYTJQRZP I use these as I find ear plugs tend to cause a build up of gunk in my ears, these sit just over the holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

ted1 wrote: »
    I just don’t trust in ear headphones. Try them in the past. For running I want over the ear ones. Maybe my ears are just a funny shape.

Same. Plantronics backbeat fit are perfect for running

Advertisement