Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir lose BT Sport from next summer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

Now that is a bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭micks_address

OldRio wrote: »
    Now that is a bollox.

So eir will no longer be able to offer bt sport free through the sky platform if you are a broadband customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭techdiver

It just gets worse for consumers! I'll bet even for people like me that pay for the eir sports pack it'll cost significantly more to watch rugby now with pro 14 on eir and h Cup on bt!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭troyzer

I'm already a Sky customer, I presume I'm alright then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

troyzer wrote: »

You're alright if you pay a BT subscription, if not you'll need to be paying for BT on top of your sky subscription I imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

troyzer wrote:

You'll need to be subscribing to BT on Sky I'd say.

Just being a Sky or Sky Sports customer won't be enough I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Uriel. wrote: »
    You're alright if you pay a BT subscription, if not you'll need to be paying for BT on top of your sky subscription I imagine

Actually it seems not - apologies. Would like to see the T&Cs though. Assume you'll have to have sky sports package...

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

I'm thinking sky will be on IPTV by then and hopefully you can pick the BT sport separate same as eir now

Uriel. wrote: »
    You'll need to be subscribing to BT on Sky I'd say.

Just being a Sky or Sky Sports customer won't be enough I expect.

Tits, that's a fair point. I get it on the Eir package.

It's impressive how much of a basket case sports coverage is at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

No mention of the Pro 14 moving, that's staying on eir it seems.... getting a bit difficult to watch rugby moving forward.
    Eir for Pro 14
    Sky for internationals
    BT for Heino cup

Going to be very costly

• Advertisement

No mention of the Pro 14 moving, that's staying on eir it seems.... getting a bit difficult to watch rugby moving forward.
    Eir for Pro 14
    Sky for internationals
    BT for Heino cup

Going to be very costly

Is Virgin not launching a subscription channel for its stuff going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Going to be very costly

Particularly when so much key footage appears on Twitter virtually in real time.

Watching sport has changed so so much over last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ah well, my contract with Eir ends next summer and my introdcutory price will go significantly up so I guess it will be time to shop around anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I get the feeling that BT could be included in the Sky Sports package element.

So subscribe to sky sports and you get all soccer and all English rugby and H Cup (uk subscribers)

For Irish subscribers you would still need to add eir sports.

The big winner is someone with eir broadband and an existing sky sports subscriber.

This leaves Virgin in a bad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

BT seems to cost £34.49 a month thro SKY in Britain at the moment. First 3 months at cheaper rate when you sign up. Don't know if I'm reading all that correctly.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/get-bt-sport-on-sky

With Eleven Sports, BT, Wednesday Champions League games on Virgin Media only and the likes of Amazon getting in on sports too, it's all getting a bit ridiculous.

Very hard blame people looking into streaming options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

In fairness, there has been no confirmation that BT will be gone from Eir Sports.

“Exclusive distribution partner” could mean any number of things. It might mean that Sky will carry catch-up/on demand content which is not available in Ireland at the moment.

There's no way it's going to be included in the cost of your Sky subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ireland is a real weird market for BT. They don’t really stand to gain here nearly as much as they do at home. So these decisions are much easier for them and don’t matter nearly as much, whichever distributor makes the better financial offer will get the channels. I wouldn’t be too confident it’ll be with Sky for long.

Interestingly I guess BTs sports channels are now going to be used by Sky to do in Ireland exactly what they were created to do in the UK for BT.

Eir's BT contract was up next August so the timeline could be right.

In Britain BT and Sky did a deal so that you only have to subscribe to one package going forward, so yes it is likely that BT sports will be included in the price you pay to sky.

What this means for the price to subscribe to Sky - you could be looking at €100 p/m for Sky tv with sports in hd. Add your broadband in then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Will it be available via the Now.Tv option as well?

In fairness, there has been no confirmation that BT will be gone from Eir Sports.

“Exclusive distribution partner” could mean any number of things. It might mean that Sky will carry catch-up/on demand content which is not available in Ireland at the moment.

There's no way it's going to be included in the cost of your Sky subscription.

Can't see how it would mean anything else tbh. Awful news if you are rugby fan, plus there a few glum faces around Eir this morning too I'd say. I have Eir BB and have an old Sky box & card to view the Eir/BT package as a result. It's nice having those channels (and in HD too) to watch the Premier League football. Won't be the case from August it seems. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Only good thing is it means I won’t feel compelled to stick with Eir for mobile phone and broadband.

Free BT was really good though, could be v costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Eir have the world cup as well..

absolute balls this is

Will sky put BT through their own pack or extra?

• The Eir situation was an odd one. Anyone unwilling to use EIR or happy with their current provider were basically excluded, it's an odd gating system that I'd say cost them heaps of subscribers.

This looks like it means that getting sky action? or whichever specific channel has the rugby might be an option moving forward if it comes with cheap access to BT sport.

Seems like every year brings yet another new mess getting access to Rugby. I'm happy to pay but streaming has just been the least hassle option for a few years now and the rights holders are doing nothing to make it easier.

Only good thing is it means I won’t feel compelled to stick with Eir for mobile phone and broadband.

Free BT was really good though, could be v costly.

It was very handy. You had the Champions League too.

Eir are in a pickle now as they only have the pro14.
    Virgin have the Champions League plus a few H Cup games, so many people might be happy to stay with them.

I am out of contract with eir next month and was going to renew for a year. I probably will still do so because of the pro14 and I'd also get unlimited broadband.

Even if sky offered a sweet broadband/tv/sports deal you would still need to add on eir sports which is expensive enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I await digifriendly's post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The Eir situation was an odd one. Anyone unwilling to use EIR or happy with their current provider were basically excluded, it's an odd gating system that I'd say cost them heaps of subscribers.

This looks like it means that getting sky action? or whichever specific channel has the rugby might be an option moving forward if it comes with cheap access to BT sport.

Seems like every year brings yet another new mess getting access to Rugby. I'm happy to pay but streaming has just been the least hassle option for a few years now and the rights holders are doing nothing to make it easier.

You cannot subscribe to specific Sky Sports channels in Ireland, only in the UK. You either take the lot or you take none.

I don't think BT are going to be giving this away cheaply. It's 35 pounds per month for Sky subscribers in the UK, on top of your Sky sub.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

There'll no doubt be a package deal of sorts, but i wouldnt be expecting significant discounts tbh, both BT and Sky still need to pay for premier league, BT need to pay for champions league.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bennyl10

There'll no doubt be a package deal of sorts, but i wouldnt be expecting significant discounts tbh, both BT and Sky still need to pay for premier league, BT need to pay for champions league.

Ya i imagine they'll throw BT in to the sky sports pack, wouldn't be in either of their interests to split it up on sky

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

With the continual fragmentation of sports screening it'll become prohibitively expensive to watch sport on TV. I like to watch football, rugby & golf, but it also now seems that sky are going to lose out on PGA tour coverage. It's getting ridiculous. The dodgy box is the only answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

"Sky will become BT's exclusive distribution partner in Ireland."

This statement makes it sound like BT will only be available through Sky over here. If that's the case, it's extremely disappointing.

Advertisement