Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can anyone identify this car?

• 31-10-2018 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, would anyone know the make and model of this little beauty please? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ha, I'd say it looks like 3 or 4 different cars made into 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Strikor

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ha, I'd say it looks like 3 or 4 different cars made into 1.

Not sure about that. I thought it might be a Trident, but im really not sure. i bet(hope) someone on here will know!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its certainly some model of 'Invacar', an invalid carriage developed by the Brits to cater mainly for WWII veterans with permanent disabilities from the fighting. They were made for about 30 years from the late 1940s on, to a government approved pattern, and could be run on a bike licence.

I've seen one in the flesh somewhere, I think in Beaulieu. A few companies made them including, bizarrely, A.C. of Cobra renown!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Strikor

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its certainly some model of 'Invacar', an invalid carriage developed by the Brits to cater mainly for WWII veterans with permanent disabilities from the fighting. They were made for about 30 years from the late 1940s on, to a government approved pattern, and could be run on a bike licence.

I've seen one in the flesh somewhere, I think in Beaulieu. A few companies made them including, bizarrely, A.C. of Cobra renown!

Interesting. Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Living in England in the 70's,when there were a few of these still around,we had an altogether less complimentary name for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Saw one of these in Tralee a few months ago. There’s a YouTuber called Hubnut that has one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Strikor wrote: »
    Hi, would anyone know the make and model of this little beauty please? Thanks in advance!
    Harold's Cross 1979. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭corks finest

Strikor wrote: »
    Trabant,,,,or an old Romanian dacia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭corks finest

Gorgeous

• Advertisement

Presumably taken from this image?

Thames Trader truck (used import going by the reg) and a Mk II Cortina on the left??

GweLtdSh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My neighbour had one of these. It was an invalid car. Not sure if it was specifically designed for her or if they were designed for disabled people.

Trabant,,,,or an old Romanian dacia
    See post no.6 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

A little history here...

http://classiccars.brightwells.com/viewdetails.php?id=5457

What's the green one beside it?
    tn_DSC_2757.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

what were they thinking , giving the poor guys them? I remember seeing them quite regularly back in the day they were truly dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Always seemed to be parked up at the side of the (muddy quagmire of a) pitch in division one football games in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I remember a teacher at my school in the UK back in the 70's having one of those. He wasn't a war veteran, but was quite severely disabled. I seem to remember them all being in that shade of blue as well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I remember them way back in the early sixties growing up in london.
    Neighbours had them who were both wheelchair users. No steering wheel
    meant they could get in , and fold the wheelchair, and then drag that onboard
    as well.

No steering wheel, but a large handlebar type arrangement with all the controls
    on the bar. One arm could maneuver and control the vehicle.

Advertisement