Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

School Paneling of Under Age Club Players

• 30-10-2018 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

My son has been paneled on a school rugby team and is now not allowed to play for his club. This seems unfair and unethical. Does anybody have a similar experience they can share. Also, is there something I can do to change this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Standard practice. Ensures some club teams cannot load up with schools players.

Either takes himself off panel and consideration for school and plays club only or plays for the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fuzzy

We tried to do this. However, the Munster Rugby Committee will not allow it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

fuzzy wrote: »
    My son has been paneled on a school rugby team and is now not allowed to play for his club. This seems unfair and unethical. Does anybody have a similar experience they can share. Also, is there something I can do to change this?

Schools get to panel 28 players for Jnr & Snr Cup squads who are then not allowed play Club rugby until after the school is eliminated from the cup.

It's why at U16 & U18 in Limerick in particular most of the city clubs have to form amalgamations with other clubs to field teams as there are 6 schools in the city which removes ~150 players from each age group from club rugby.

Is he getting game time in School?

Keep track of how much game time he's getting in actual matches and how many starts he gets. If he's not getting meaningful game time then you can apply again to the branch with that information.

He has refused to play for the school. So he won't be getting any rugby. I struggle to see how it can be legal to stop a kid playing rugby for his club.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

This happens every season and its to do with kids playing both and some kids playing too much.
    Is your son getting game time in school. Does the school field second team, is it junior or senior level?
    If not getting game time for the school you can look to be released.
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Schools get to panel 28 players for Jnr & Snr Cup squads who are then not allowed play Club rugby until after the school is eliminated from the cup.

It's why at U16 & U18 in Limerick in particular most of the city clubs have to form amalgamations with other clubs to field teams as there are 6 schools in the city which removes ~150 players from each age group from club rugby.
    Is he getting game time in School?
    Keep track of how much game time he's getting in actual matches and how many starts he gets. If he's not getting meaningful game time then you can apply again to the branch with that information.
    And then only allowed play in one competition not others.
    This issue needs to be sorted once and for all. Needs all parties to be involved in decision. How many parents dont know about this until it affects their own son directly?

• Advertisement

It would be useful to know how many kids are placed on school panels against their will.

It would be useful to know how many kids are placed on school panels against their will.

We aren't talking about slavery here either!!

Nope. Just unfair use of power, preventing a kid from playing for his club.

But there is plenty of kids who are named on schools panels and not getting anywhere near rugby they should but are not allowed play in the u16/18.5s club leagues

Nope. Just unfair use of power, preventing a kid from playing for his club.

I don't disagree, just tone is slightly over the top "illegal"

The rule is good in principle, but can obviously mean some lads lose out on rugby and are lost to the game.

Were you not aware this might be the case?

• Advertisement

But there is plenty of kids who are named on schools panels and not getting anywhere near rugby they should but are not allowed play in the u16/18.5s club leagues

I would agree, either small panels or an exemption based on the minutes played etc.

The principle is sound, it does need fine tuning.

The rule is good in principle, but can obviously mean some lads lose out on rugby and are lost to the game.

I wasn't aware the school could do this. It seems utterly ridiculous to place a player on a panel when he has clearly stated this is against his wish.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I wasn't aware the school could do this. It seems utterly ridiculous to place a player on a panel when he has clearly stated this is against his wish.

If the kid told the school in advance that they didn't want to be paneled , totally agree.

The branch are probably trying to prevent "setting a precedent" , but still anyone involved in underage sport should make all their decisions based on what's best for the player.

And what's best for the player is that they are getting lots of game time and that they enjoying it.

Anything that doesn't strive for that is missing the point entirely.

I would agree, either small panels or an exemption based on the minutes played etc.

The principle is sound, it does need fine tuning.
    Smaller numbers of pannelled players should happen like clubs and schools should be able to panel 10 each with the rest able to play either/both
    Is your son playing junior or senior?
    Panelling has been in place for years. Its unfortunate but i would assume parents would know about this policy at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

if you feel that strongly then i would suggest you put your objection in writing to

Minister for Education (who ultimately has oversight of the school)
    Minister for Sport
    School Principle
    IRFU
    Munster rugby branch.

Outline how your son does not want to play for the school (and why if possible) and how the situation is unfair to him in that the school have co-opted him to the team and blocked him playing for his club ,which has has done for X number of years.

If that fails send a letter to the head of sport at your local paper.

Smaller numbers of pannelled players should happen like clubs and schools should be able to panel 10 each with the rest able to play either/both

Is your son playing junior or senior?
    Panelling has been in place for years. Its unfortunate but i would assume parents would know about this policy at this stage
    He's a Junior. First team player on both club and school.

I'm not sure knowing about it in advance is much use. The school and Munster higher ups did not allow any choice in the matter, despite prior written request not to be placed on the school panel.

I can't agree the rule is good. It's simply wrong to disregard a child's preference.

For this specific issue , it seems fairly simple that the solution is to de-panel the player - However the downside of that is that the boy might not get back on to a panel in future years as the school might consider that he has "abandoned them" . I have heard of schools telling players that "they will never play for the school again" if they ask to be de-paneled at Jnr cup. That's neither right nor fair , but it does happen sadly.

So if he has a future aspiration to play Snr Cup (or at Jnr cup next year if eligible) then the long term implications of a decision now need to be considered

The principal of panels is a reasonable one , but it's the size and implementation of them where we have problems.

With a panel of 28 , the reality is that there are probably 8-10 players from that squad that will get little to no competitive rugby during the year . you also have the situation where schools are telling players outside the official panel of 28 to not play for their clubs as they are being "considered" for the panel.. Which is at best disingenuous from the schools and at worst a flat out lie.

The schools should panel about 15 players for each squad as their core players who will start/play the majority the games..

Anyone not in that list of 15 should be allowed to play for Club and School with their playing time being measured and managed appropriately between both organisations.

For this specific issue , it seems fairly simple that the solution is to de-panel the player - However the downside of that is that the boy might not get back on to a panel in future years as the school might consider that he has "abandoned them" . I have heard of schools telling players that "they will never play for the school again" if they ask to be de-paneled at Jnr cup. That's neither right nor fair , but it does happen sadly.

So if he has a future aspiration to play Snr Cup (or at Jnr cup next year if eligible) then the long term implications of a decision now need to be considered

The principal of panels is a reasonable one , but it's the size and implementation of them where we have problems.

With a panel of 28 , the reality is that there are probably 8-10 players from that squad that will get little to no competitive rugby during the year . you also have the situation where schools are telling players outside the official panel of 28 to not play for their clubs as they are being "considered" for the panel.. Which is at best disingenuous from the schools and at worst a flat out lie.

The schools should panel about 15 players for each squad as their core players who will start/play the majority the games..

Anyone not in that list of 15 should be allowed to play for Club and School with their playing time being measured and managed appropriately between both organisations.

Again, I'd make the point that the player should have a choice regardless of how much rugby he can play. This did not happen on this occasion. Now he can't get off the panel.

The principal of panels is a reasonable one, but it's the size and implementation of them where we have problems.

With a panel of 28, the reality is that there are probably 8-10 players from that squad that will get little to no competitive rugby during the year. you also have the situation where schools are telling players outside the official panel of 28 to not play for their clubs as they are being "considered" for the panel.. Which is at best disingenuous from the schools and at worst a flat out lie.

Its less than 8-10 who get little to no competitive rugby. Schools are not limiting themselves by and large to just 18/19 players.... but schools and clubs should be allowed panel a small number of players each as core players with rest allowed play club and school

• Advertisement

Again, I'd make the point that the player should have a choice regardless of how much rugby he can play. This did not happen on this occasion. Now he can't get off the panel.

In your example , you are absolutely correct , if he doesn't want to play in school then he should not be forced..

However without some level of control over playing time , the risk is that kids get totally burned out - Playing 2 or 3 games a week along with training isn't a great idea. Add to that volume is the likelihood that they are playing another sport as well and all of a sudden the player is just getting chewed up.

The target at youth level is for a player to play about 20 games a season.

A full club season at U16 is going to account for a minimum of 12-15 competitive games with a schools season at Jnr Cup probably giving at least 8-10 Competitive games. Add in challenge games and you'd be looking at 30+ games which is too much.

There needs to be structure and control around the season , but forcing a player to do something they don't want is totally wrong.

daheff wrote: »
    if you feel that strongly then i would suggest you put your objection in writing to

Minister for Education (who ultimately has oversight of the school)
    Minister for Sport
    School Principal
    IRFU
    Munster rugby branch.

Outline how your son does not want to play for the school (and why if possible) and how the situation is unfair to him in that the school have co-opted him to the team and blocked him playing for his club ,which has has done for X number of years.

If that fails send a letter to the head of sport at your local paper.
    Id go to press ahead of some of those to write to. There was a parent last year or year before who contacted one of the radio stations to complain about the same issue as the OP and a son not getting anywhere near enough rugby.
    He's a Junior. First team player on both club and school.

I'm not sure knowing about it in advance is much use. The school and Munster higher ups did not allow any choice in the matter, despite prior written request not to be placed on the school panel.
    Knowing about it in advance would be of use in that you could have prepared. Looked to do more to ensure son can get to play rugby somewhere on a regular basis. If on panel and not getting game time you can look to be released for club rugby. Keep on to school as much as possible

This is a Liam Toland article on issue from last year
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/liam-toland-young-players-need-more-meaningful-rugby-1.3229618
    "meaningful rugby"...... something proper needs to be in place but not sure how it'll happen if ever

This wouldnt be a problem if schools played predominantly/always mid week and didnt play at weekends like in Connacht where kids play both. And are seeing record numbers competing in club and school competitions like the schools cups which will be drawn at the weekends Connacht pro14 game https://community.connachtrugby.ie/record-number-of-teams-to-contest-top-oil-connacht-schools-cups/

Read this as "school paddling of under age club players" and I thought the sport was about to be hit with another team 'initiation' scandal.

Thanks for the link to the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

However without some level of control over playing time , the risk is that kids get totally burned out - Playing 2 or 3 games a week along with training isn't a great idea. Add to that volume is the likelihood that they are playing another sport as well and all of a sudden the player is just getting chewed up.

By way of backing you up here.

When I was playing schools U 14 it was Monday JCT, Tuesday U 14 training, Wednesday Match, Thursday U 14/JCT training and a match on Saturday. Often I had a swim on the Tuesday after training as well and whatever other PE classes. One week I injured my right foot in a gameand short of players so I played on it for 3 weeks and 7 games until Mum took me out of school as I couldn't walk. That was me done for the season and all for the want of not laying up when I needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Did BOD not play one year for club u16 instead of Rock?

He did. played with mates he'd grown up with, In Clontarf

He did. played with mates he'd grown up with, In Clontarf

I did the same myself in Leinster back in the day , but the rules have changed now..

In Leinster , if you are in a Rugby school you cannot play competitive Club rugby , but that works out ok in Leinster as the numbers are there to allow both to compete well.

This issue is really unique to Limerick due to the concentration of rugby schools in Limerick city - all but two of the secondary schools are Rugby schools so the impact is massive to the city clubs

• Advertisement

I suppose the key point here is the schools should be bound to seek consent from players before preventing them from playing for their club. The people in charge of the sport appear to be unconcerned about unfairness when it comes to promoting the school rugby agenda. This is fairly contemptible.

Advertisement